Fishing

I think the locals around here call them "gravel trout".

:)

What kind of fish do you suppose live in those waters?

Kokanee have been introduced to a few lakes in northern NM. I've never fished for them. I guess I should get out there, but all I have is a 5-weight rod. What do I need to go after Kokanee?

I use a 5 and or 6 weight here in Crested Butte, depending on which one is in my truck at the moment. We have Kokanee here that run roughly 30 miles back to the hatchery waters at Roaring Judy Fish Hatchery. As Gormley stated, a 5 wt, is just fine for Kokanee. I wouldn't go with 6X tippett however! :eek:

I managed to sneak up on a few "gravel trout".Looks like some of them are going to be eaten by "gravel herons".
In our semi arid climate here on the coast these do pretty good going up stream without water.
Frank

Attachments

• DSCN4463.jpg
    DSCN4463.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 90
  • DSCN4465.jpg
    DSCN4465.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 85
  • DSCN4466.jpg
    DSCN4466.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 90
  • DSCN4468.jpg
    DSCN4468.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 102
  • DSCN4469.jpg
    DSCN4469.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 82
Thanks, Gormley.I just checked the NM fishing regulations. Snagging is legal during the spawn. Otherwise, red patterns seem to be effective - eggs, San Juan worms, Copper Johns.

You can also just try tying a piece of red yarn on a hook...no particular shape or pattern, similar to a flesh fly if you are familiar with those and you'll do great. I find this method to be just as, if not more productive than manufactured flies. Just saw a nice black bear about a two weeks ago feeding on the salmon in the East River above the hatchery. The Salmon are really dead at that point, they just don't know it yet. Makes easy pickin's for the Bruins before they hibernate. :)

I managed to sneak up on a few "gravel trout".Looks like some of them are going to be eaten by "gravel herons".
In our semi arid climate here on the coast these do pretty good going up stream without water.
Frank

biggrin.gif
I Like those gravel trout. I just visited a local almost dry rito that folks hope to introduce Rio Grande Cutts to. My little blog about that trip is here. Maybe they should consider gravel trout as well...

You can also just try tying a piece of red yarn on a hook...no particular shape or pattern, similar to a flesh fly if you are familiar with those and you'll do great. I find this method to be just as, if not more productive than manufactured flies. Just saw a nice black bear about a two weeks ago feeding on the salmon in the East River above the hatchery. The Salmon are really dead at that point, they just don't know it yet. Makes easy pickin's for the Bruins before they hibernate. :)

Thanks for the tips! I drove by the Roaring Judy hatchery the last time I was up in your neck of the woods, but was too late for a tour. Next time, I guess.

Back
Top Bottom