Fix for roof peel back

Greatbasinguide

Advanced Member
My Palomino roof peeled back from the cross strut above the truck cab. As I examined it I saw a lot of dryrot on the plywood, I chipped that out, painted the wood with a stiffening coating. Then applied the fix:

I cut a strip of sheet metal, 5" by what ever the width was, 58" maybe. Just cut to fit, I installed it into the cross strut with screws and sealed it, then using clamps I tucked the thin roofing sheet metal close against it using screws and glue. I let that sit for two days, and pulled the clamps off, spray painted the sheet metal. Over a year later now, and the repair is just fine. I have two photos, the first before painting, the second after painting. Don't scrimp on the screws.
IMG_0184.jpg

IMG_0185.jpg

Nice job, my BIL had a StarCraft that happened to(back edge), he let it go for a long time,rotted out the rear half of the roof frame. Then the termites showed up. Good that you got to it early.

I know your Palomino sits outside year-round so it gets the brunt of the CA central coastal weather, but how old is the camper? It looks pretty new to be rotting out.

The fix looks secure, though.

It is an 06. It had been absorbing moisture at the front piece. With the fog on the coast the roof gets wet pretty much every night. The moisture flowed off the roof and got held up at the front seam between the roof metal and the cross piece, most every night, All it would take is a crack in the sealant to allow moisture in.

Back
Top Bottom