Flat Tow vs Trailer

Riverrunner said:
When I had a jeep I flat towed it as well. Worked great and allowed "camp" to remain set up. I set mine up to tow from the D rings on an aftermarket bumper. Some of the mounts cost almost as much as the bumper so that was a no brainer. There is an aftermarket wire harness that is plug and play for lights so hooking up the Jeep was just like hooking up a trailer.

As camelracer pointed out, some states require brakes. Oregon doesn't if I recall and I never felt the need for brakes as I had plenty of tow vehicle. I towed into Washington a few times (brakes required) and didn't have an issue. I towed a JK so it was a bit lighter than a JKU so my set up was pretty inexpensive.

Not sure how serious of a "Jeeper" you are but no truck that can haul a FWC would make it 25 feet where I went with the Jeep.
Yes I’m not a rock crawler but I have been known to go on trails that the truck would not be able to. I want to do all the passes and things in Colorado and I don’t want to worry about the truck making some tight turns or shelf roads. I love to explore though hence the jeep!

I will look for the aftermarket lights but if you can remember the brand please let me know. Thanks!

My truck "needs" to make it home. My Jeep not so much. Plus the Jeep is just more fun to explore with. You can see, smell and experience everything a little bit better. My tow bar and attachments were all custom built by a previous owner of my Jeep out of 5/8ths steel. Do something stupid enough and you can bend even that stuff :)

I used the Cooltech harness for the lights. http://www.cooltechllc.com/wrangler-parts-accessories/54-jk-tow-harness-deluxe-kit.html Came with everything needed. Only thing I didn't use was the plug mount since I just mounted it to the bumper as shown below. Took maybe an hour and half to install. When done it was just like plugging in a trailer.

p356253371-3.jpg

p1599480515-3.jpg

My Jeep was only lightly mod'ed and I took it places that amazed me. I got involved with a local jeep group and that was an intense learning experience that I don't regret nor will forget. I quickly realized I couldn't keep up with the mods (time and money) to go where I wanted to go and decided I needed to let the jeep thing go. :(

Riverrunner said:
I used the Cooltech harness for the lights. http://www.cooltechllc.com/wrangler-parts-accessories/54-jk-tow-harness-deluxe-kit.html Came with everything needed. Only thing I didn't use was the plug mount since I just mounted it to the bumper as shown below. Took maybe an hour and half to install. When done it was just like plugging in a trailer.

p356253371-3.jpg

p1599480515-3.jpg

My Jeep was only lightly mod'ed and I took it places that amazed me. I got involved with a local jeep group and that was an intense learning experience that I don't regret nor will forget. I quickly realized I couldn't keep up with the mods (time and money) to go where I wanted to go and decided I needed to let the jeep thing go. :(
Nice! Thanks for this info. I’m going to look into this.

The jeep thing can easily get carried away!

I had some issues with the wiring in my Jeep (remember its old), leave the turn signal turned to left turn (or was it right) and some other issues so I finally got a switch (dpst?). In one position is the original wiring, second position completely bypasses the Jeep wiring for towing. A bit of work but it works great.

This may not apply since our Tow'd is a 4rnnr and not a Jeep, but we can't flat tow any distance with the rear drive-shaft in place. There is no position to shift the transfer case to that will stop the damage to it from happening. So far I've crawled under and disconnected the drive-shaft at the rear pinion's companion flange (4 bolts), but not sure I want to keep doing that. Found that I can buy a rear full-float kit that can use Aisin locking hubs, which would greatly simplify things. Hitch up, plug in, unlock the rear hubs and off we go! Unfortunately the kit doesn't work with the OEM rear brakes, have to do a rear disc conversion. And if you want a parking brake, which I do, the kit will widen the rear track 3.25" inches. Which is not going to work. Can have a custom width axle housing made to bring everything back to a stock width. $3500 for everything, which would buy a pretty nice trailer.

I forgot to mention I have the Warn full floater kit on my Jeep. A lot of people do a double take when they see hubs on the rear. A lot easier than disconnecting the rear driveshaft which I used to do. Unfortunately I don't think Warn makes the kit anymore

My understanding of the Jeep is its safe to just put the transmission in neutral for short tows, under 50 miles or so. They actually say to leave the transfer engaged to make sure everything stays oiled. With the hubs its not something I have to worry about anymore.

craig333 said:
I forgot to mention I have the Warn full floater kit on my Jeep. A lot of people do a double take when they see hubs on the rear. A lot easier than disconnecting the rear driveshaft which I used to do. Unfortunately I don't think Warn makes the kit anymore

My understanding of the Jeep is its safe to just put the transmission in neutral for short tows, under 50 miles or so. They actually say to leave the transfer engaged to make sure everything stays oiled. With the hubs its not something I have to worry about anymore.
What model Jeep? Jeeps have a neutral in transfer case? Put transfer case in neutral and transmission in Park... unlock steering and go. This exactly why I don't want to get rid of my Jeep. I'd rather tow my Tacoma but it would be a PIA

Yotas have a bearing at the rear of the transfer case that requires a spinning input shaft in order to get lubed. Simply spinning the output shaft won't work.
The oil pump in the NP/NVG transfer cases used in later model Jeeps *should* pump oil by spinning the output shaft, but if the OEM say don't then that's what should be followed. Earlier t/c's used in Jeeps (Dana 20, Dana 300) are splash lubed and are cases where in neutral, front hubs locked could work.

Nope, no more Warn FF kits or much in the way of parts. MISF grenaded his Warn FF rear conversion kit's LH axle shaft and he had a time getting a replacement. Not to worry though, MISF can damage an anvil while playing in a sandbox.....

Back
Top Bottom