Flat Tow vs Trailer

Luckytibbs

Advanced Member
I’m a new owner of a Ford F-350, waiting on my Hallmark K2 to be completed. I have camped in my JKU in the past pulling a teardrop trailer. Now I’m going to tow my JKU to some places but I don’t know where to flat tow or get a trailer and I need some thoughts and advice. Thanks everyone in advance for your help!

We’ve considered using a tow dolly, something like a Kar Kaddy or Road Master that has brakes and lights. No mods required on the vehicle.

Congrats on the new F350 and soon to be Hallmark.

I tow my Cherokee XJ flat tow behind my F250 6.4L So far never an issue. We tow it when we want to search around the area and still use FWC as a base camp. The Jeep adds storage too on the road ;) It is easier to tow too if I want to get into some more remote areas. The trailer has little clearance for rougher roads. No idea how it would handle long washboard roads.

I have a ReadyBrute tow hitch with brakes and I love it. They will make the attachments to your specs. Mine just hooks into the Shackle D-Ring mounts on aftermarket front bumper. Easy on and off.

I do tow my other cherokee, that I use at the parks, on carhauler just in case I break anything. Trailer can be a PIA at some locations just to park. Flat Tow I just unhook and park jeep where desired.

Attachments

• flatow.jpg
    flatow.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 138
If you flat tow the jeep you wont be able to back up more then a couple of feet. Much quicker to disconnect jeep from truck than unload from trailer.

driller said:
Heck if you set the truck up, Half of what your jeep is you wont need to tow the jeep.
Driller I TOTALLY agree and we have been able to take my Truck a lot of fun places. We take the Jeep mainly so we can visit areas in locality without breaking down the FWC or camp. Taking bicycles helps but it's nice to have jeep for a run to other areas. Also nice we can mount bikes and kayaks on Jeep too and have available for our longer staying out trips.

A trailer is a lot of added weight--likely a good 1,500-1,800 lbs (?). Overall length is several feet more using a trailer, too.

As noted, using a dolly or flat towing means you can't back up, not even a yard. So long as you're good with that limitation, the weight saved by flat towing and the shorter length under way would be favorable to me.

Foy

Luckytibbs

Done both, trailer is better IMO. If it breaks, no problem. Less wear and tear. Back up as mentioned. JMO.

more you build the Jeep to play, tugging it around becomes less pleasant.

Russ

Wandering Sagebrush said:
We’ve considered using a tow dolly, something like a Kar Kaddy or Road Master that has brakes and lights. No mods required on the vehicle.

Congrats on the new F350 and soon to be Hallmark.
Thanks so much!! I am very excited and just can’t wait. It should be ready at the end of January

XJINTX said:
Driller I TOTALLY agree and we have been able to take my Truck a lot of fun places. We take the Jeep mainly so we can visit areas in locality without breaking down the FWC or camp. Taking bicycles helps but it's nice to have jeep for a run to other areas. Also nice we can mount bikes and kayaks on Jeep too and have available for our longer staying out trips.
Okay, The truck is the 4x4 off road package. I was planning on putting a another bumper on the front with a winch, what else do you think I should do to the truck?

driller said:
Heck if you set the truck up, Half of what your jeep is you wont need to tow the jeep.
Good points. I think I will try flat tow then. It seems the pro’s far outweigh the cons. But what would you add to the truck? It has the 4x4 off road package.

Debbie, I really need to add sliders to mine!!!! Hard to find good ones for Superduty trucks. I also added the Warn Hidden Winch bumper and winch for a warm fuzzy if needed ;)

Also not for trails but it's a lot easier if you have the JKU wired to hook lights to the trucks lights. I use just the magnet mounted ones on my Jeep but it's on my list to have wired.

XJINTX said:
Debbie, I really need to add sliders to mine!!!! Hard to find good ones for Superduty trucks. I also added the Warn Hidden Winch bumper and winch for a warm fuzzy if needed ;)

Also not for trails but it's a lot easier if you have the JKU wired to hook lights to the trucks lights. I use just the magnet mounted ones on my Jeep but it's on my list to have wired.
Thanks Roger. I’ll look for some sliders. I do want to put on the Bushwacker fenders.

Luckytibbs said:
Okay, The truck is the 4x4 off road package. I was planning on putting a another bumper on the front with a winch, what else do you think I should do to the truck?
If you want a winch Rogers setup is nice. You might want air bags on the rear , Sliders that you can step up into the truck might be nice. Other than that get in it and go.

Advantages and disadvantages. I flat tow now since someone relieved me of my trailer. If you break your Jeep doing something hardcore, a trailer is great to get it home. You can use the trailer as a dance floor, tent platform, bbq platform. May stop better if it has good brakes.

Its heavy. More tires, brakes and stuff to maintain. Need a place to keep it both at home and wherever you camp. Better know where you're going. Turning around a trailer is much more difficult than just disconnecting the Jeep and turning it around. Faster to flat tow. I can decide a whim to tow my Jeep and ten minutes later I'm underway. No chains and binders to lug around.

I'm pretty happy flat towing. I rarely do anything anymore thats likely to break the Jeep in such a way that its not towable.

craig333 said:
Advantages and disadvantages. I flat tow now since someone relieved me of my trailer. If you break your Jeep doing something hardcore, a trailer is great to get it home. You can use the trailer as a dance floor, tent platform, bbq platform. May stop better if it has good brakes.

Its heavy. More tires, brakes and stuff to maintain. Need a place to keep it both at home and wherever you camp. Better know where you're going. Turning around a trailer is much more difficult than just disconnecting the Jeep and turning it around. Faster to flat tow. I can decide a whim to tow my Jeep and ten minutes later I'm underway. No chains and binders to lug around.

I'm pretty happy flat towing. I rarely do anything anymore thats likely to break the Jeep in such a way that its not towable.
I totally understand, thank you. I don’t want to do anything that might break the jeep while I’m away from home. Too much hassle.

What do you use to flat tow with yourself?

driller said:
I don't think my truck would make it much past the trailhead on either the Rubicon or Dusy.

I've used both systems and find trailer towing the better option due to safer braking and the ability to back up or haul home a broken Jeep. I would have continued trailer towing if it wasn't for the local parking Nazi's forcing me to sell my trailer. I flat towed the Jeep for over 30 years prior to the trailer so I guess I can live with flat towing again. With the transfer case I'm now using I need to tow with the hubs engaged but that is not a problem with newer Jeeps.

In most states brakes are require in a towed vehicle. If you are flat towing that means something similar to the Brake Buddy which is expensive. I don't use one of these and haven't had a problem but that could change if I'm ever stopped by the CHP or have an accident.

When I had a jeep I flat towed it as well. Worked great and allowed "camp" to remain set up. I set mine up to tow from the D rings on an aftermarket bumper. Some of the mounts cost almost as much as the bumper so that was a no brainer. There is an aftermarket wire harness that is plug and play for lights so hooking up the Jeep was just like hooking up a trailer.

As camelracer pointed out, some states require brakes. Oregon doesn't if I recall and I never felt the need for brakes as I had plenty of tow vehicle. I towed into Washington a few times (brakes required) and didn't have an issue. I towed a JK so it was a bit lighter than a JKU so my set up was pretty inexpensive.

Not sure how serious of a "Jeeper" you are but no truck that can haul a FWC would make it 25 feet where I went with the Jeep.

Back
Top Bottom