Flatbed Fuel Filler Issues... Need Advice and/or Pics Please?

So Cal Adventurer

Hey All

Got the flatbed project started (pics soon) for mounting my Slide in Hawk on my 2014 Tundra

Got the frame done and tacked together but ran info an odd snag i didnt think would be much of an issue.

The fuel filler neck.

The boxes im installing will be sitting right where the filler neck is.

I need to lower it about 4-5", which is right about where i think it would sit on a standard flatbed tray,

Anyone have a flatbed on a 2012+ Tundra that relocated their fuel filler have any pics or advice on how they did it? Google shows nothing.

Thank you

No direct experience with your situation but I do know that a lot of CC trucks with utility boxes have trouble with fuel pumps. The change to the filler neck can constantly cause the shutoff to kick in while pumping gas. Sort of a minor inconvenience, but over time it can get tedious.

This was an issue when I installed the flatbed on my Tacoma as well. If you are going to move the filler lower than the stock location there is a good chance you won't have sufficient slope to the fill tube for the gas pump auto shutoff to work. As I have a drawer under my flatbed tray it is slightly higher than most and my filler only worked after spending some time messing with the angle of the neck. I still sometimes have to put the gas nozzle in at an angle to get it to work properly, but most pumps seem to work OK.

A lot of folks end up having to mount the fillers above the tray to get it to work - take a close look at the Norweld Tacoma tray:

Norweld_UteTray_wRacks_large.jpg

rando said:
This was an issue when I installed the flatbed on my Tacoma as well. If you are going to move the filler lower than the stock location there is a good chance you won't have sufficient slope to the fill tube for the gas pump auto shutoff to work. As I have a drawer under my flatbed tray it is slightly higher than most and my filler only worked after spending some time messing with the angle of the neck. I still sometimes have to put the gas nozzle in at an angle to get it to work properly, but most pumps seem to work OK.

A lot of folks end up having to mount the fillers above the tray to get it to work - take a close look at the Norweld Tacoma tray:

Thank Rando

Yeah, my tray and boxes will be a bit different.

I installed the big 46 gallon transfer flow tank which sits a bit higher than stock and making this even more of a project to route cleanly.

Thanks

rando said:

Im not sure how that filler neck location on that Norweld tray and Tacoma could work.

Even before I got my camper, my bed flexed enough it would definitely crush the filler if it was in that position.

My cab has 2 small dents in it from where the bed has flexed into it

I am not sure how that works out either. It is hard to tell in that photo, but the tray could be mounted a bit further back from the cab than the original bed. I have seen some where the filler is inset in the side of front rack, like this:
Toyota-cut.jpg

However if you are building this for a camper the front rack is just extra weight that forces you to mount the camper further back than necessary.

If your fuel tank is already higher than stock, then I think you will have to mount the filler above the bed, or possibly level with the side of the tray, like this one (tray seems to be mounted pretty high here though):
Tacoma-Flatbed18.jpg

rando said:
I am not sure how that works out either. It is hard to tell in that photo, but the tray could be mounted a bit further back from the cab than the original bed. I have seen some where the filler is inset in the side of front rack, like this:
Toyota-cut.jpg

However if you are building this for a camper the front rack is just extra weight that forces you to mount the camper further back than necessary.

If your fuel tank is already higher than stock, then I think you will have to mount the filler above the bed, or possibly level with the side of the tray, like this one (tray seems to be mounted pretty high here though):
Tacoma-Flatbed18.jpg
Thanks Rando

Yeah, this bed is being built for the camper and will be bolted to it AND have turnbuckles as extra support. It will be on full time and no removed.

No need for headache rack and trying to mount the camper as far forward as possible and at least getting the COG right over the rear axle

We had this filler height issue with my 2012 Ram/ 2015 Hawk flatbed combo. Finally solved it by running a longer tube and bolting the filler neck to the driver's side jack support. (Since the Hawk was on full time this didn't affect anything.)
Steve

Can't help with Toy specific but I can share a few pics for food thought. The orig C&C shipped set up was straight out from the fuel tank. That wouldn't work with underdeck boxes added so had to route around using fuel approved tubing and steel elbows. Too many turns and you might get a kick back when filling at the gas station pump.

Rear tank, looking up. Line and breather pass thru the frame at R, (I beam visible is a vertical drop for the hitch. Not the truck frame), storage box to L. Note the drain hole, bottom at the fuel fill cup.

gallery_351_1340_671658.jpg

Sorry, I gave up on the pic rotations ...

Rear outside:
http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/gallery/image/20723-1a/

Mid ship tank looking rearward. Note the protective sleeve thru frame. Storage box position was limited by spring mount - fuel fill routed in this under utilised space :
http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/gallery/image/20721-3/

Mid ship looking forward. note the bending around the storage box :
http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/gallery/image/20722-4/

Mid ship outside. Deck height is at the gap just above the filler, folding deck side above that:
http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/gallery/image/20724-3a/

If you can put a cover over the filler cap it would be a good thing. I had the WWF belt buckles type doors but one winter of road brine rendered them useless. If the cup was a bit smaller they'd be a hockey puck in there !

So, again, can't help with placement, just showing an example of the plumbing. FWIW :)

klahanie said:
Can't help with Toy specific but I can share a few pics for food thought. The orig C&C shipped set up was straight out from the fuel tank. That wouldn't work with underdeck boxes added so had to route around using fuel approved tubing and steel elbows. Too many turns and you might get a kick back when filling at the gas station pump.

Rear tank, looking up. Line and breather pass thru the frame at R, (I beam visible is a vertical drop for the hitch. Not the truck frame), storage box to L. Note the drain hole, bottom at the fuel fill cup.

gallery_351_1340_671658.jpg

Sorry, I gave up on the pic rotations ...

Rear outside:
http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/gallery/image/20723-1a/

Mid ship tank looking rearward. Note the protective sleeve thru frame. Storage box position was limited by spring mount - fuel fill routed in this under utilised space :
http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/gallery/image/20721-3/

Mid ship looking forward. note the bending around the storage box :
http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/gallery/image/20722-4/

Mid ship outside. Deck height is at the gap just above the filler, folding deck side above that:
http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/gallery/image/20724-3a/

If you can put a cover over the filler cap it would be a good thing. I had the WWF belt buckles type doors but one winter of road brine rendered them useless. If the cup was a bit smaller they'd be a hockey puck in there !

So, again, can't help with placement, just showing an example of the plumbing. FWIW :)
Thank you very much. That helps a lot actually

I don't have a Toyota or a Hawk, but I can give you some ideas. Bought a 2017 F350 with a standard 8' bed. Removed the bed, and replaced it with a home-brew flatbed, with the intention of mounting a slide in camper. I had the same issues to overcome. After a lot of research, and help from the Ford Body Builders guide, I decided to use the standard filler setup, but mount it behind the outer rim of the flatbed, just below the 1/8 diamond plate deck. It's accessed thru a 5" x 5" door in the 1/8' decking. Since the floor of the slide-in doesn't come out that far, you can open the door, remove the cap, and fill. It works really well. I've never had it ever "urp-up", no matter how fast you pump. The key is to NEVER mount lower than where the stock fill was located. The picture I've attached is actually filling the tank at a gas station. Turns out I no longer angle the nozzle like shown. Due to the constraints imposed by the camper turnbuckles, I insert it completely vertical, but up-side down (look at the picture, and imagine lifting the hose end of the handle up, until it's 90 degrees to the deck). It's the only way to get the pump handle to clear the flatbed. I'll have to take a picture next time I fill, as it's hard to describe.

Attachments

• Gas Filler Small.jpg
    Gas Filler Small.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 103
I had a heck of a time with mine but finally got it working just last week. I don’t have any vehicle specific advice, but can praise the inventory and service at wwwfillernecksupply.com. It was a big help to get just the right part for a very specific need.

Steve not quite solved. I need to use like chevy or ford with less bends but with a larger diameter vent line. I think the venting is important

Back
Top Bottom