Flatbed protection on underside of camper when installing to flatbed?

Idahojolson

My truck flatbed came stock with truck and I am unable/unwilling to purchase the nice aluminum tray. Regardless it is a little wide 6”s on both sides which I am actually happy about for a couple reasons.
I am a little concerned about water or snow getting under it and permanently damaging it. Denny told me they put a foam pad under camper when installing and they use marine plywood? I have read some people put horse stall mats under them which are much more dense and better in this case. Does anyone have experience or opinions on this? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Jolson

The camper sits on plywood skids on the flatbed, just like the slide in models. At worst the skids could deteriorate over time (mine are OK almost 5 years in) but it would be easy to replace them. You can fill the space between the skids with XPS insulation foam. I would not add a horse stall mat - that is a lot of weight for no additional benefit.

I added rigid foam between the ribs on both my Hawk and Grandby flatbed models. If you're concerned about water maybe drill some strategically located drain holes? (I've never seen a flatbed yet that is 100% 'flat'!)

The slats on my 20 year old eagle are still good. And it has been permanently mounted on daily drivers in western Washington for almost 15 of those years. As long as the water can drain away you will be fine.

Back
Top Bottom