Fleet battery box too small for larger batteries

BillTheHiker

My 2017 Fleet has a battery box with one 75aH AGM battery. I need a lot more amps to support a compressor fridge I plan to buy( probably Truckfridge TB31). I read a lot of folks have two 100aH AGM but the local battery shops tell me I do not have enough room for those, which are about 13" x 7" each. Inside dimensions are 12.25" D x 15"W. The 15" width is actually the width of the door opening. The inside of the box is actually 17" wide.

Anyone know of two large batteries that will fit that space? If unable to find them, my options are:

1. remove the frame to install the batteries, requiring it to also be removed to get a battery out.
2. rebuild the front of the cabinet to exend it forward enough to accommodate larger batteries. A fair amount of work but looks doable. Anyone done this?
3. Install the largest single battery that fits(probably 126 aH) and compensate with lots of solar.

Bill,

Group 24 AGM batteries are available in 100 Ah (Trojan SCS150) and are 11.13" long x 6.6" wide x 9.25" tall. It seems to me that two will fit side by side taking up 11.13" x 13.2" (add a little for space between them) x 9.25".

Now if you put these in standard molded vented battery boxes with lids then I think you may have a fit problem but you could rig up straight sided battery boxes you could probably make it work

Group 27 and Group 30 batteries and even group 31 would probably work too if you use straight sided battery boxes or make a custom box.

https://www.batterystuff.com/kb/tools/bci-battery-group-sizes.html

I am pretty much stuck with the FWC built-in battery box because it is wired up to the battery isolator in the adjacent storage unit. But I will look at your suggested Group 24 batteries.

Th original battery box in my camper that came from FWC was straight sided opaque plastic but I am not sure it it ever had a lid.

The guy I bought the camper from had two golf cart batteries installed under the roll over couch and they were in the standard black plastic vented battery boxes (I have replaced them with AGM lifeline GPL-4CT batteries which fit nicely in the battery boxes). They do take up a lot of room however.

Group 27 batteries also come in 100 Ah capacity (as do group 30h and Group 31), but the group 24 is the narrowest of all these.

Here is a pic of the battery box from the FWC website so does not show the battery. Mine is virtually identical.
sml_gallery_7166_1147_65180.jpg

Back
Top Bottom