Fleet install question (camper sitting on sides of truck bed)

bignerdski

Hey y'all, I just switched my camper over from a 2012 Tacoma Access Cab to a 2020 Double Cab so that my wife and daughter can actually have more space for longer trips.

I've got what I hope to be a simple question. When my Fleet was installed on my 2012 Tacoma, it sat about .5"-1" above the top of the truck bed sides. When I installed my Fleet on my 2020 today, it's almost as if the bottom of the camper sits on the truck bed and on rests on top of sides the truck bed.

Can you tell me if this is ok? Or, do I need to add some marine grade plywood or something to the bottom of the camper so it sits slightly above the sides of the truck bed?

Attachments

• IMG_0250.JPG
    IMG_0250.JPG
    493.7 KB · Views: 152
Yes, add approx 1” under the camper.

The Tacoma truck beds got 1” deeper.

Not good for the truck to have the weight of the camper resting on the bed rails.

I agree. The camper doesn't need support from the side of the bed and all that will do is rub rub rub as the bed flexes while you drive. I agree with Vic. Go to Tractor Supply or something similar and purchase a 4x6 horse stall mat or two to lay in the bed of your truck to hold up the camper so it doesn't rub on the top of the bed sides. The mats will help keep the camper from slipping around and will definitely provide some floor insulation on those cold dark nights.

Those thick rubber mats is what the Lance dealer put on my bed. Less slippery than bed as well.

Attachments

• lance 2016.jpg
    lance 2016.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 239

Back
Top Bottom