Fleet/Tacoma TRD Offroad

Redserge

Howdy folks,

The truck camper lifestyle is new to me, I have never owned a truck, I have never owned a camper. I have done lots of camping, both vehicle and motorcycle so after lots of tenting I'm quite sure I will enjoy truck camper camping.

I've done a fair amount of research and have come to the conclusion that a FWC Fleet may be a good fit for my needs. I'll visit the factory and get all my questions answered before making a final decision.

I will likely get a near fully loaded camper (toilet, shower, furnace, fridge, aux battery, solar, awning, etc) and am thinking of weight considerations for the truck.

I've read the truck fit guide on the FWC website so I know the Tacoma is stated to be an adequate fit for this camper. I'm not married to any particular truck manufacturer or model. There's a Tacoma TRD Offroad for sale locally with the following specs:

2010 Tacoma TRD OFF-ROAD
60K miles
4.0L V6
3" Toytec suspension lift with Bilstein 5100 shocks
33" Goodyear Duratracs
Rims are 17" Fuel Boost
Aero Turbin performance exhaust

The truck comes fully loaded, with front and rear diff lockers, rear camera, and is a 6 speed manual.

Truck also comes with all factory rims and suspension. I have only seen pics and it looks in good shape. Owner says no rust.

My concern is whether or not this has enough suspension with the Bilstein 5100 shocks, owner says he also added an additional leaf.

For argument's sake let's say a fully loaded Fleet with 2 adult passengers and normal gear, food, clothing (so about 500 lbs) and 2 17' sea kayaks on the roof (60 lbs each).

Will I need to make additional mods for suspension?

Should I go to a heavier duty truck?

Another two cents worth... Personally, I would ditch the shower and hot water heater. A plastic tub and water heated on the stove are just fine for bathing. Less weight, more storage for gear. Alternatvely, a Zodi would do the job. Get gas struts, too.

We are always glad to spend your money:)

KILR0Y said:
A hot shower and doing dishes quite easily every night is quite nice, and I wouldn't go without it. Instant hot water is a really, really nice option - especially being spoiled after a life of tent camping!

Then again, I suppose we don't need to get into that discussion (what options) on this thread as it's been thoroughly discussed on others already.

Go Seahawks!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Wander The West mobile app
I too am sold on the hot water/shower, I've had my fill of cold lake baths or washing with a bit of hot water using a Jetboil while motorcycle camping...that will be a luxury I look forward too!

I'm not averse to going to a Tundra/Hawk set up but thinking to keep it a bit lighter and more nimble with a Taco/Fleet. With a Tundra/Hawk set up, does a stock Tundra cut it or does it also need upgrades?

Previous owner did put the extra leaf on on the Taco.

Why take the lift 3" lift off?

KILR0Y said:
Simple - sway. A primarily stock Taco with beefed up suspension (to handle a pop-up) doesn't need more ground clearance from a 3" lift kit, especially at the expense of center-of-gravity concerns...

Definitely wait and see what other opinions are, but I'd bet Taco owners will tell you it's plenty high already. You'll also be climbing higher to access the camper.

Ask yourself: is the lift going to just be for looks?

I likely wouldn't have put the lift on myself but since it's there... I thought it was a mod lots of folks did to gain that extra clearance for off road. If it's to the detriment of center of gravity or a safety issue I would remove it.

Here is a report on the weight of our rig, which is a Tacoma with Bobcat shell. The fully-loaded Fleet/Tacoma combination will be quite a bit heavier. You will likely want to beef up the springs (best in my opinion) or add airbags. Light truck tires are pretty necessary (D or E rated). The lift will accentuate any handling issues you encounter with the load situation. I haven't felt the need for a lift but we don't do extreme off-roading.

http://travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com/2013/07/truck-and-camper-weight.html

When I starting looking at an FWC I had a 2006 4 cycl, 4x4, manual Tacoma. Loved it but knew it wasn't enough to carry an FWC, although a few do. So I started looking for a V6 Tacoma and came across a 2006 Tundra with the small V8, 52k miles, TRD 4x4 in perfect condition. Its not much bigger than the newer Tacoma's but the V8 is silky smooth and the mpg is probably about the same.

Even though a Hawk would fit this, I went with a Fleet after talking to Tom at FWC. My thinking was if anything happened to the Tundra and I couldn't find another gen 1 Tundra, I would go back to a Tacoma, and the Fleet would fit the Tacoma. I think its a great combination.

I chose the Eagle over the Fleet for my Tacoma mainly because of the width. I like to go down narrow roads and also like to see out the side mirrors. I have to sleep north south but that's no big deal to me and I don't plan on spending much time inside. I did go with hot water and external shower.

takesiteasy said:
Here is a report on the weight of our rig, which is a Tacoma with Bobcat shell. The fully-loaded Fleet/Tacoma combination will be quite a bit heavier. You will likely want to beef up the springs (best in my opinion) or add airbags. Light truck tires are pretty necessary (D or E rated). The lift will accentuate any handling issues you encounter with the load situation. I haven't felt the need for a lift but we don't do extreme off-roading.

http://travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com/2013/07/truck-and-camper-weight.html
Very nice website and nice rig set up - Rocky looks like he's having a great retirement.

Stalking Light said:
I chose the Eagle over the Fleet for my Tacoma mainly because of the width. I like to go down narrow roads and also like to see out the side mirrors. I have to sleep north south but that's no big deal to me and I don't plan on spending much time inside. I did go with hot water and external shower.
I have to say I like the idea of the camper being more flush with the truck and less width for narrow roads. It would be a trade off for some of the options we're looking for on the interior so that's something we'll need to think about.

The 4 leaf rear with 5100's is a great start. All you need is airbags for the rear to handle the sag you will get with the weight of the camper. I've had this set up since 2009 and have not had any issues. If you are going to off-road it hard or often, you might have to upgrade the rear shocks eventually.
With 33's, a 3" lift and a 1000# camper, plan to spend a lot of time at the gas pumps.

-Im selling my Taco for a Tundra because it cannot handle the camper AND tow my boat(first world problems, I know). Its getting old taking the camper off every time I want to go fishing. Just something else to consider if you plan to tow anything that has decent weight.

Good luck on your purchase.

Redserge,

Total weight is the issue.

Our Tacoma/Eagle shell loaded for a week in the desert with one person weighs 6,200 pounds !!!

The loaded regular camper is heavier than the loaded shell and adds about 350 dry weight pounds to the total so with two adults you will be over 6500 pounds Gross.

You need to set it up to carry 1500-1800 pounds in the bed. You do this by adding a custom rear leaf spring set or air bags or both. Put LT "E" rated tires on it. You need 10 ply tires.

Performance with the V6 is fine. We have the trailer towing package with the 3:73 Diff ratio so have more than enough torque to handle the camper and tow the Samurai. We use the transmission to slow it down as brake size is an issue when you are over Gross.

You will only exceed Gross when going camping and most folks do this activity 1-2 weeks a year. Rest of the time you are running empty with camper removed.

Our Eagle is mounted full time as we need a covered bed for our other activities.

Before you buy that truck have it weighed.

Tacoma Gross is 5500 pounds. Our stock Tacoma with half tank gas, no driver, and no tailgate weighs 4200 pounds. Our empty shell with two built in cabinets, counter, Engle portable Fridge, most of the options withOUT the mechanical Jacks, food, camping gear, clothes, and water - weighs 1000 pounds !!!

For a total of 5200 pounds. Add me (220) = 5420 pounds!!! Leaving us total of 80 pounds for camping gear, food,water, etc.

Another reason to consider buying a Hawk and a 3/4 ton full size pick up.

(By the way I knew all this before buying the Tacoma and still after 20,000 miles am happy with it as I prefer mid-size trucks as they are easier to get around in for running errands)

Thanks for the input guys, we haven't bought anything yet and are considering maybe a heavier truck or the mods that most here recommend if we stick with a Taco.

Our visit to a few manufacturers in CA is about a week away, those discussions and an up close look at the products will help a lot.

Redserge,

The Fleet or Eagle on a Taco is just fine. Certainly, it's a bit heavier than recommended from Toyota, but the truck is built tough and underestimated. We have a fully loaded (don't skimp on the outside shower + hot h2o.........we freakin' love it!) Fleet on our '14 Taco TRD Sport and it feels plenty nimble. Definitely add the airbags, beefier shocks, front coil overs and burly tires.......the camper isn't light when you add up all the options!

Lots of factors go into the decision making process. Weigh out all of the pros and cons and make sure to get the options that you want. You can always do some add ons in the future, such as the arctic pack, awning, etc. Our main decision for the size of the truck and camper came down to the height of our garage door opening. We REALLY wanted it to fit in the garage and we are very happy that it does.

Good luck in your journey and welcome to the FWC family. We love our truck/camper combo and spend almost every single weekend in it. The neighbors are starting to wonder if we even live here anymore!

Cheers,
MM

MMclimbhigh said:
Redserge,

The Fleet or Eagle on a Taco is just fine. Certainly, it's a bit heavier than recommended from Toyota, but the truck is built tough and underestimated. We have a fully loaded (don't skimp on the outside shower + hot h2o.........we freakin' love it!) Fleet on our '14 Taco TRD Sport and it feels plenty nimble. Definitely add the airbags, beefier shocks, front coil overs and burly tires.......the camper isn't light when you add up all the options!

Lots of factors go into the decision making process. Weigh out all of the pros and cons and make sure to get the options that you want. You can always do some add ons in the future, such as the arctic pack, awning, etc. Our main decision for the size of the truck and camper came down to the height of our garage door opening. We REALLY wanted it to fit in the garage and we are very happy that it does.

Good luck in your journey and welcome to the FWC family. We love our truck/camper combo and spend almost every single weekend in it. The neighbors are starting to wonder if we even live here anymore!

Cheers,
MM
Thanks for you comments. The garage height is a consideration for us as well. Can you tell me what the clearance height is of your set up from ground to highest point of the camper that allows you to get in your garage.

Redserge said:
Thanks for you comments. The garage height is a consideration for us as well. Can you tell me what the clearance height is of your set up from ground to highest point of the camper that allows you to get in your garage.
Height with Yakima tracks/bars, solar, Yakima FatCat ski rack..............just shy of 91"

MMclimbhigh said:
Height with Yakima tracks/bars, solar, Yakima FatCat ski rack..............just shy of 91"
That's good news, my garage clearance is 94"

This is a great thread! I'm also in the run for a FWC or Pheonix Pop-Up. I'm planning for post retirement adventures and want to hit the trails and camp mechanized.

I have a 2006 Tacoma with:
TRD Pkg
70K miles
4.0L V6
Downey shocks in the front; I think it's a small lift kit. Dealer added it under warranty at time of purchase.
Firestone Destination A/T P265/75R16 (they may be LT, I'm not with my truck right now)
16" ARE Chamber wheels

My primary question is with a loaded camper comparable to the FWC Fleet, an add-a-leaf and/or airbags, will the truck be able to handle carrying a dirt bike with one of those trailer-hitch mounted motorcycle carriers? If so, what's the max tongue weight it could handle? My dirt bike (XR650R) is about 300lbs or so, and I'd also want to transport a BMW F800GS at times (around 500lbs).

Also, what off-road considerations are necessary with suspension articulation when airbags are added?

Thank you so much in advance! I got to this forum after going through requirements assessment in my head and thinking I needed to get a Sportsmobile (Lopes 55), but realized I can do what I need to do with my truck that's long time paid off...

Arclite said:
This is a great thread! I'm also in the run for a FWC or Pheonix Pop-Up. I'm planning for post retirement adventures and want to hit the trails and camp mechanized.

I have a 2006 Tacoma with:
TRD Pkg
70K miles
4.0L V6
Downey shocks in the front; I think it's a small lift kit. Dealer added it under warranty at time of purchase.
Firestone Destination A/T P265/75R16 (they may be LT, I'm not with my truck right now)
16" ARE Chamber wheels

My primary question is with a loaded camper comparable to the FWC Fleet, an add-a-leaf and/or airbags, will the truck be able to handle carrying a dirt bike with one of those trailer-hitch mounted motorcycle carriers? If so, what's the max tongue weight it could handle? My dirt bike (XR650R) is about 300lbs or so, and I'd also want to transport a BMW F800GS at times (around 500lbs).

Also, what off-road considerations are necessary with suspension articulation when airbags are added?

Thank you so much in advance! I got to this forum after going through requirements assessment in my head and thinking I needed to get a Sportsmobile (Lopes 55), but realized I can do what I need to do with my truck that's long time paid off...
Suggest you read the post from MYTaco on Expedition Portal about Phoenix Campers.
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/
Scroll down to the camper section and click on Pop-Up Campers.

Thank you - these threads answer a lot of questions I had/have. It sounds like one vehicle that does it all is not my answer. I still think Tacoma with a FWC or PPU is the answer to most of the things I need. Thank you again!

longhorn1 said:
Suggest you read the post from MYTaco on Expedition Portal about Phoenix Campers.
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/
Scroll down to the camper section and click on Pop-Up Campers.

KILR0Y said:
Arclite, begin at the top of this thread. Yes, that rig begins overweight from the get-go and won't appreciate a heavy dirt bike on the back... waaaayyy too much weight. If we were talking about a Honda trail70, that would be a different story that someone may choose to accept the risk on. Anybody that tells you it's ok to put one of those bikes on the back of your truck with a camper is a fool!

Again, just my opinion - I'd hate to offend anyone, just being realistic.

Back
Top Bottom