Flexible Solar panel longevity?

verynice

I'm starting to outfit may latest camper and was thinking of using flexible panels instead of traditional. I've noticed most have a 1-2 year warranty while my traditional panels were 20 years and up....Has anyone had one go bad or break? I've used one as a front window sunshield on my Alaskan and it worked pretty well but only had it for about a year. My new camper has a TPO roof and just don't wanna drill or depend on this material to hold a traditional panel :unsure:

Quite a few members have had issues with Renogy flexible panels. Renogy recalled them. Much of the concern seemed to be related to gluing them to the top of the camper where heat significantly reduced their output and led to failure. Other manufacturers haven't had this issue though heat is fundamentally an issue for all solar panels. After my unpleasant experience with Renogy flexible panels, I would not recommend any flexible panels for camper rooftop applications. YMMV

Alan

It would seem like the marine applications would be a good test. Renogy....good to know, I've used their controllers with good results...From the little research I've done, the brands- sunpower and Lensun were reviewed the best but again, short term

verynice said:
I'm starting to outfit may latest camper and was thinking of using flexible panels instead of traditional. I've noticed most have a 1-2 year warranty while my traditional panels were 20 years and up....Has anyone had one go bad or break? I've used one as a front window sunshield on my Alaskan and it worked pretty well but only had it for about a year. My new camper has a TPO roof and just don't wanna drill or depend on this material to hold a traditional panel :unsure:
Visit https://amsolar.com/ to get some ideas about mounting solar panels without drilling holes. They have videos that may be useful.
I haven't had them do any installations on my metal roof camper, but have bought their tiltable mounts and other equipment for my solar power system.

Paul

I know the German panels hobie sells are bulletproof but spendy. I had one renogy panel go bad after 5 yrs but the other one still works well.

I was already looking at the VHB tape or eternabond for hold-down combined with a bead of dicor around panel perimeter and that seems like the way to mount??? Do the Amsolar ones just stick on with tape and no screws? Their description is a little vague?

Sorry, I must have had a short attention span when I looked at the amsolar page. I guess the TPO Lance roof falls somewhere in the middle as there is no plywood and only foam below. I'd bet with the tape and screws it would hold fine :unsure: I'd rather use traditional panels anyway for the better efficiency and lower cost. Thanks-

So, would you have just used regular panels if you had to do it again? It seems like if you need to build spacers and frame things it might be better to just buy the cheaper, more efficient standard ones....I sometimes make things harder than they need to be :(

The flexible panels are so much lighter that I would use them if they hold up as you need to mount either type of panel with an airspace underneath.....So now I have a 160 watt traditional panel that is heavy but has held up well for two years and a new 120 watt lightweight flexible panel from Solar Cynergy. Last time I tried the flexible panels I had two 100 watt Renogy panels glued directly to the roof and they failed the first summer. This time I mounted the flexible panel with an airspace underneath it as I described in the link in my earlier response.

Below is my post from a couple years ago on how I mounted my 160 watt traditional panel

Posted 23 January 2016 - 03:23 PM

So I replaced my dead flexible panels with the traditional type, a 50 watt Renogy that I plan to use as a portable using the back plug and a 160 watt Infinium Solar Panel that I mounted to the roof between the vents. I used some small aluminum channels and angles that I picked up from a boating supply house for less than $20. (photos attached)

I was able to span 5 of the support ribs that are under the aluminum roof so I used 10 brackets. I epoxied the 4 corners and used silicone caulk as an adhesive for the 6 inside brackets. I did use a small piece of double face 3m tape in the center of each bracket to hold them in place until the silicone and epoxy set up.

Looks good. Thanks, I think I'll do the same. The flexibles are a great idea but it seems like they need another year or so to come up with a ready-to-mount (adhesive included) self cooling panel for RVs.

Thought I would share my recent solar update to my Hawk. I removed my two Grape Solar panels (53#'s) and replace them with 3 Cynergy 120w panels from Solarblvd.com. Lots of great ideas on solar installs here and just wanted to add my 2 cents for others to consider.

I've had great success using 3M VHB tape to mount my previous install and wanted to avoid drilling any more holes in the roof so I decided to try these Weld Mounts with VHB cut to fit.

40321695601_37d49655a3_c.jpg
[/url]

To keep a low profile as possible but still allow the bottom of the panel to breathe and give the panels some rigidity, I added a 1" aluminum strip to the beginning, middle and end of the panel. The following photos should help explain how I did the rest.
28414593069_685bf2c179_c.jpg

28414593669_fff705c7ef_c.jpg

Hope this helps someone. Keeping my fingers cross that these panels will survive overtime.

I sure like the looks and weight of the flex panels. Have you ever thought about putting a GoPro up there and see if they flap at 65 MPH? That is the one thing I am worried about with the flax panels.

Bill

I really like that mounting idea. Reusable and serviceable are near the top of my list for most things.

I love the idea of much lighter roof panels. It just makes sense for so many reasons. I was going to do a flex panel but got started setting up my system at the same time so many were having failures with the Renologies. So I went hard panel.

Is there really that much difference in performance between a hard panel and a flex panel?

I have both a big(160) mono and 2 small(60) poly panels. The mono's ate supposed to be more efficient but I really can't tell much difference. The mono may have a slight edge in severe low angle situations. Maybe?

billharr said:
I sure like the looks and weight of the flex panels. Have you ever thought about putting a GoPro up there and see if they flap at 65 MPH? That is the one thing I am worried about with the flax panels.

Bill
I haven't Bill, but thats a good idea. I also need to seal the Weld Mount/VHB with some Dicor before it gets dirty. This is a new install.

Squatch said:
I really like that mounting idea. Reusable and serviceable are near the top of my list for most things.

I love the idea of much lighter roof panels. It just makes sense for so many reasons. I was going to do a flex panel but got started setting up my system at the same time so many were having failures with the Renologies. So I went hard panel.

Is there really that much difference in performance between a hard panel and a flex panel?

I have both a big(160) mono and 2 small(60) poly panels. The mono's ate supposed to be more efficient but I really can't tell much difference. The mono may have a slight edge in severe low angle situations. Maybe?
With limited testing, I haven't found much difference between the two. I also have a 4th panel that is mounted on a foam core to move around during the late afternoon sun.

Hi Photohc

Your sure read my mind on your install.....may I ask where you purchased the weld mounts ?

I wonder that your aluminum strips may flutter at highway speeds....or did you tape them down ?

I wonder also at some sort of lightweight, UV stable stip of something besides sluminum to raise the panels just a bit.

You have lots of wattage there.

David Graves

DavidGraves said:
Hi Photohc

Your sure read my mind on your install.....may I ask where you purchased the weld mounts ?

I wonder that your aluminum strips may flutter at highway speeds....or did you tape them down ?

I wonder also at some sort of lightweight, UV stable stip of something besides sluminum to raise the panels just a bit.

You have lots of wattage there.

David Graves
David, the aluminum strip runs the length of the panel, short side. I have three aluminum strips for each panel. The leading edge, middle and back. The strip is attached to the panel via 3M VHB tape. The aluminum strip for the center panel is cut 1" longer on the sides to allow the strip to tuck under the adjoining panel which is then secured to the Weld Mount. The Weld Mount is attached to the roof with the VHB tape. The aluminum strips were put in hoping it would give the panel a little stability.

In my previous install with rigid panels, all I had to attach the brackets on the roof was VHB tape. This survived 4 years of travel with no issues. Took some work to get them off but little by little with a plastic credit card and a some alcohol, they all came off clean.

As for the Weld Mounts, I got them directly from WeldMountsystems.com. They sell them online. I ordered:
SKU#102412
10 Pieces, 0.75" Stainless Stud w/ 10-24 threads.

photohc said:
With limited testing, I haven't found much difference between the two. I also have a 4th panel that is mounted on a foam core to move around during the late afternoon sun.
Post #167 in the "I need more power scotty" thread - I compared rigid and portable outputs:

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/13230-i-need-more-power-scotty/page-17#entry166189

Posted 04 March 2017 - 05:09 PM

Update:

I exchanged my two 150w solar panels for two 100w flexible panels, because I could not figure out how to store the bigger panels while traveling. The output of the flexi panels is nowhere near as good though. In the same conditions the combined 300w panels put out about 200w. The combined 200w flexi panels only 80w.

Has anyone else had a chance to compare the efficiency of flexi vs the larger solid mount panels?

Back
Top Bottom