Foam tape question

Gnarwhal

Anyone know what this foam material is called and where I can get some? Mr. Google is even stumped! The black foam (very thin 1/32"?)is on the inside of the camper, on the top exposed aluminum frame. Any suggestions at this point would be helpful. Thanks!

Gnarwhal

photo (11).JPG

Homedepot has grey stuff like that some of which is rated for indoor/outdoor use. Probably would work for you. Double sided right?

I don't know, but a Google search for "3M foam tape" returned a lot of results which look like they may work.

Thanks for the ideas guys.

I will check HD again, most of the stuff that I have found in the insulation department was relatively thick @ 1/4"+ which I was hoping to avoid, but may just have to go with it. Do you think that is really necessary anyway?

Any suggestions on which 3M foam tape it might be? Model#? There seems to be an endless number of them, none of which appear to be the right one. Maybe I missed it.....would not be the first time!

This is for a 1998 FWC Ranger II that I am rebuilding if that helps. The foam is very thin,and is all along the top rail of the camper on the inside. It appears to be more for preventing condensation on the aluminum and protecting the side liner than anything else.

Thanks again!

How about this?
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=202066511&storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&ci_sku=202066511&ci_kw=%7bkeyword%7d&kwd=%7bkeyword%7d&cm_mmc=shopping%2d%5f%2dgoogleads%2d%5f%2dpla%2d%5f%2d202066511&ci_gpa=pla

I will check HD again, most of the stuff that I have found in the insulation department was relatively thick @ 1/4"+ which I was hoping to avoid, but may just have to go with it.

Wrong area, look in the paint section with the masking tape/duct tape. This is what I was suggesting:
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100153200/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=indoor%2Foutdoor+tape&storeId=10051

Rather than using foam which degrades over time, ATC uses felt strips, about 2 inches wide, attached with 3M #77
spray on cement. Works good..last's a long time :)

Wait is this not stick on both sides tape that is covered by something or is it sticky on one side and the foam surface is exposed normally? I was assuming the sticky on both sides part...

The felt sounds like a great idea! Thanks for the great ideas and help with this one. The foam was falling apart whenever you touched it and had become a rather disgusting combination of 14 year old foam, glue, and mold.

Pods8-I don't think this foam came with any glue, but was glued on to the frame using the same 3M-like adhesive as the headliners are. It is/was wrapped over the top of the frame and was about 1/2" underneath the siding on the outside of the camper and on the inside under the interior paneling. I think the picture I showed might have been a little misleading, but that was the only picture I have of it after I removed most of it with a wire brush and acetone.

Gnarwhal

Back
Top Bottom