Folding Counter Top Extension

PackRat

Anyone have any pics of one of those fold-down panels screwed to the side of the sink cabinet that can be locked in the UP position for meal prep, etc. and folded down for dining and to set up the dinette into a berth? Kinda like the locking thing for folding tables I guess...

I wonder if it would need TWO locking supports or if one would do? I could get some trim similar to what the rest of the cabinetry has and a piano hinge I guess but any pointers and some pics would be helpful.

TIA!

Here's a picture from an Airstream that I was fixing up (it's gone now). It used two brackets that locked in the up position putting the extension flush with the countertop.

Attachments

• AS_kitchen.JPG
    AS_kitchen.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 170
I'm going to try to find a fold-down like the one in the RV picture....thanks guys....worst case is I have to make one up but I have seen them in Alaskans before I think and they were factory items I believe.

Sailor.... was your fold-down extension a factory item or did you or a PO make it up? I see yours does not go too far back towards the wall and I assume if it did, it would make swapping the dinette cushions to the bed cushions much more difficult. Am I correct on any of this please?

Yours looks REALLY nice by the way, just enough added space to make a food prep area a bit larger!

Thanks!

I don’t know I bought my camper used. Yet the person I bought it said everything was original. All the countertops match. I also found a smaller table that fits where the big table goes.

You are correct on the cushions. I have to raise the table up to slide cushions out can be a bummer but it works. I thought about making the cushions different sizes yet that might be a challenge in itself.

I think the added counter top area is well worth the extra bit of effort in moving the cushions around to get by the extension. It does require some extra effort twice a day but from my own experience, the only alternative is the inset counter top that fits into the sink or just doing meal prep right at the table. That was how we did it in my old Alaskan; at the table.... as I did not have the sink cover piece.

I know this is an older post but I just stumbled across it. My 10' NCO project has a folding extension similar to Igottasail's except that mine has all square corners. Can't say if it is stock but the countertop material matches the rest of the cabinets.
C516F40A-8955-4484-90FC-AA59D64EA377.jpg

89903C35-C824-47C2-BF3C-B7AB635771B5.jpg

794E1C14-7312-4220-BFDD-FE7A79AFE3D1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom