Follow up (Run time for 3way fridge on propane)

Beach

My wife and I had a great 10 day trip along the Colo. River in central Texas. Camped off the grid 6 out of ten days, we ran the fridge on propane for all ten days so we could test the run time. Outside temps were mid eighties to ninety degrees so the fridge was set between 4.5-5 the whole time. Ran the 12v coil fan to help cooling. Fridge temp varied from 33 to 46 degrees. The higher temps were after getting food out and having the door open for a minute or so, but it did take 1-2 hrs to recover to a lower temp. I was impressed with the amount of propane we used or should I say did not use. Tare weight on the tank(empty weight) is 20.2 lbs, full weight is 36 lbs. Weight after the trip was 28.5 lbs, which means we used about 7.5 lbs. 8+ lbs remaining propane should be enough for another week plus some. No other appliances were run on the camper propane supply. I will add, keeping the fridge side of the camper in the shade is a huge benefit to keeping the fridge temp low in hot weather.

Good info Beach,

I am curious what model of fridge you have. My Dometic 3-way can be set to 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5. It starts having trouble keeping the temperature cold at around 85 or 90 degrees. The temperature starts moving up very slowly, although not enough to worry. Sounds like yours might be doing a little better?

Steve

Beach said:
My wife and I had a great 10 day trip along the Colo. River in central Texas. Camped off the grid 6 out of ten days, we ran the fridge on propane for all ten days so we could test the run time. Outside temps were mid eighties to ninety degrees so the fridge was set between 4.5-5 the whole time. Ran the 12v coil fan to help cooling. Fridge temp varied from 33 to 46 degrees. The higher temps were after getting food out and having the door open for a minute or so, but it did take 1-2 hrs to recover to a lower temp. I was impressed with the amount of propane we used or should I say did not use. Tare weight on the tank(empty weight) is 20.2 lbs, full weight is 36 lbs. Weight after the trip was 28.5 lbs, which means we used about 7.5 lbs. 8+ lbs remaining propane should be enough for another week plus some. No other appliances were run on the camper propane supply. I will add, keeping the fridge side of the camper in the shade is a huge benefit to keeping the fridge temp low in hot weather.
That is about what I have gotten from a tank of propane. Although we camp in cooler temps. And could use the heater and cook inside if necessary.
Would like to hear more about the fan.
Thanks Frank

I have four. Maybe that is my problem. I installed two computer fans for exhaust at the top vent and two smaller fans that blow on the fins at the top.

Steve

I should have included this in my last post.

I saw a new Hawk camper in Capital Reef National Park a few months back. It had the new door stop (much better than the rubber plug) and I am sure other improvements since I purchased mine. I also looked in through the top refrigerator vent on the outside. He had a three way fridge. It had a fan mounted that was a little lower RPM than others I have seen and quieter. FWC had also added a baffle to direct air across the cooling fins. so more air is forced across the fins. I might consider doing something like that sometime in the future.

Steve

Fridge is a 3.0 cu ft Norcold. The fan is the factory 12v that cools the coils.

Back
Top Bottom