For those with hard to reach lead acid batteries..

smlobx

Lost again
It can sometime be a pain to have to pull the batteries out just to check the water level. This is particularly critical for those of us who camp in warmer weather etc.
In our hallmark you can only access the battery compartment when the camper is off the truck which if you are on a long trip can be an issue. I don't know where I read it but was advised to check the battery level monthly when they are being used.

I ran across a battery fill system that could be done while the camper is on the truck in a FB posting and decided to get it. It I should actually a two part system and sells for about $80 on Amazon.
The set I bought is for a pair of 6 volt deep cycle batteries and looks like a great product.
I'll try to install it this weekend...
Here's the link to one of the products:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001FCAXT0/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Attachments

• IMG_0803.JPG
    IMG_0803.JPG
    137 KB · Views: 92
Vic, as I understand it, the electrolyte concentration only starts to go south when the battery is in its final stages of life and should be replaced.
I don't believe anyone is reccomending adding sulfuric acid to batteries when the specific gravity starts to decline.

One of the largest causes for premature battery failure is not keeping the electrolyte level above the lead plates. Once the lead plates are exposed they start to sulfate and go downhill from there.
Of course keeping the batteries charged and exercised by using something like the Noco Genius charger will help as well.

I wasn't thinking so much of adding acid, as verifying charge state, since Specific Gravity is the ultimate guide for knowing what the charge state is, vs the approximations even the best shunt based monitoring systems use.

Vic Harder said:
I wasn't thinking so much of adding acid, as verifying charge state, since Specific Gravity is the ultimate guide for knowing what the charge state is, vs the approximations even the best shunt based monitoring systems use.
Agreed.

Back
Top Bottom