Foraging Mountains to Sea

CPT Davenport

On a morning hike in the hills behind the house, I stumbled on an early season patch of chanterelle mushrooms. I harvested what I could carry and headed home. I fired up the boat and headed out into the pea soup fog. Thank heavens for GPS and radar! Commercial crab has not opened here, but the recreational season opened on Saturday. No conventional traps are allowed but hoop nets and snares are permitted. I pushed through the fog about 9 miles off shore to my waypoint labeled "opener honey hole".

After just a 45 minute soak, I was able to get 3 nice Dungeness on board. Crabs are big this year! Over 8 inches.

Attachments

• IMG_3604.jpg
    IMG_3604.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_3598.jpg
    IMG_3598.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_3600.jpg
    IMG_3600.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 35
I headed back to the dock and fired up the pot with some Old Bay. A curious harbor seal was looking for a handout.

Attachments

• IMG_3603.jpg
    IMG_3603.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_3595.jpg
    IMG_3595.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 28
The day ended in a nice meal! Piles of crab and lemon butter with mushroom, shallot, spinach and brie stuffed croissants. :)

Attachments

• IMG_3605 (1).jpg
    IMG_3605 (1).jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_3606.jpg
    IMG_3606.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 32
Nice harvest even your seal friend looks like he might enjoy some crumbs.

Looks very tasty.I have a neighbor who informed me this morning that I could expect
some fresh crabs soon.Yummy.
Frank

The first ones of the season are always the most tasty. Reports have been great locally from Moss Landing to Half Moon Bay. Get ya butter and lemon ready.

Back
Top Bottom