Ford 150 with greater payload

SeatoSea

Advanced Member
I'm in a delima, just order a hawk and plan to use a new Tundra; have reading topics on trucks, payload, suspension.
I plan to off-road modestly and for about next 4 years. Plan to travel east to west (long drive miles on fairly good roads than the occasional less used BLM back roads.
Factory says I'll be packing about 1400lbs when fully loade, add myself and my wife + 300lbs of stuff. That's about 1900lbs. Ford 150 max payload with 302A + FX4 + 36gal fuel and a few other adds = label on truck says I can carry up to 1940lbs.
Tundra is max out at 1400lbs.
Giving price is fairly close what would be the truck of choice?
Note: I be own a tundra for twenty years trading in a 2006.

Sea,
I looked at the new Ford (2015) F 150 and really liked it. I was going to get it when I found out they were doing an aluminum body 3/4 ton next year. I am looking at an Alaskan camper which needs that extra payload. I would not hesitate to put a Hawk on the F150 and think it is the better choice. While I have not owned a Tundra I have owned a Highlander and 2 Solaras ( drive one now). Toyota makes a great product but IMHO payload is just not there.... Good luck!

Both are good trucks, but I would choose the F150. I've had several Toyota trucks, liked them both. I have Fords now, and am very happy with them. That I have a great dealer for reasonably priced service is a decision point for me.

Lots of Tundras with Hawks out there, same with F150s. Either will give you good service.

I have a 2015 F150 with a Hawk on full-time, don't even own jacks. I have had it on since factory install last June and the truck easily handles the payload. In fact it is the fastest accelerating vehicle that I have ever owned. We have done everything from interstates to FS roads like the Macgruder road with this rig. The only modification that I have done is to install Torklift Stableloads before the camper was installed but not sure if I needed them or not as I have not driven the rig without them. You probably can't go wrong with either the Tundra or the F150. My truck is the super crew with 6.5 bed and 3.5 ecoboost. It is the 4WD FX4, 36 gal tank, we carry two adults two large dogs and probably 500 lbs gear. The Hawk weighed 1240 at the factory.

i will add my two cents here. do the math, you are going to be over gvwr, if you are ok with that go for it! but i would look at a 3/4 or 1ton because we tend to carry more stuff than we think..

X2 on the one ton. (Even though the new Ford 3/4 ton with the aluminum body could pique my interest. And especially if they offer the bed delete option.)

however, my next truck... IF I ever get one will be a chassis cab one ton. My Ram 2500 is over GVW by several 100 pounds... probably more. (I just prefer to live in happy ignorance.) It does still handle OK and has E-rated tires but still...
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:22033]

Just have to say thanks to everyone who took the time to write back.
As I'm probably leaning more towards the smaller truck I can understand all the concern of adding after market mod, going bigger, etc....
Three points:
1. Torque Lifters - I'll need to learn a lot more about suspension before I would use them. I'll have to see and feel the bounce and sway to make a decision.
2. GVW - at 6940lbs MGVW - 4650 lbs truck (including 150 lbs driver & 36gal gas tank full) = 2,300 lbs left to carry-, - 110lbs package options., -1450 lbs fully loaded FWC (with water tanks & propane) = roughly 900lbs of luxury items (includes the wife + some of me) that can be added. I'm now very aware of what I'll add. Maybe I'll use our small trailer to carry the tent & cots & lawn chairs.
3. What to get: We drove 1/2, 3/4, & 1 ton, = she will not go if she has to drive anything above the 1/2 ton.
Again I cannot say enough of a thanks for this forum as it has been very informative in helping us plan ahead.

SeatoSea said:
Just have to say thanks to everyone who took the time to write back.
As I'm probably leaning more towards the smaller truck I can understand all the concern of adding after market mod, going bigger, etc....
Three points:
1. Torque Lifters - I'll need to learn a lot more about suspension before I would use them. I'll have to see and feel the bounce and sway to make a decision.
2. GVW - at 6940lbs MGVW - 4650 lbs truck (including 150 lbs driver & 36gal gas tank full) = 2,300 lbs left to carry-, - 110lbs package options., -1450 lbs fully loaded FWC (with water tanks & propane) = roughly 900lbs of luxury items (includes the wife + some of me) that can be added. I'm now very aware of what I'll add. Maybe I'll use our small trailer to carry the tent & cots & lawn chairs.
3. What to get: We drove 1/2, 3/4, & 1 ton, = she will not go if she has to drive anything above the 1/2 ton.
Again I cannot say enough of a thanks for this forum as it has been very informative in helping us plan ahead.
Weight ratings are a nebulous subject given that the manufacturers will not tell us exactly on what they base them. Some experts will say never to exceed the GVWR while others have no problem doing so. Looking at truck specs it was apparent to me that few half-ton trucks can technically carry a slide-in camper except in the most basic configurations. Quite a few truck camper owners--most half-tons I reckon--exceed the technical weight.

Toyota is a little more conservative--and perhaps honest--than Ford with their ratings. However, Ford has more build options including HD load packages that push the payload into the 2000+ pound range which crosses over into 3/4-ton territory. The new Nissan Titan XD is a similar "5/8-ton" model. I would go with one of these HD half-tons.

I don't follow your numbers which look several hundred pounds low, although you don't specify the exact truck or camper build. In any case, with a Tundra you will need to be ruthless in keeping weight down if you are to have a change of keeping near GVWR. If it gets so heavy that I needed a trailer, well, I would just tow a travel trailer to begin with.

Enjoy whatever you choose and have a great trip!

One of the most common combos I have seen when traveling out west is the Tacoma/FWC combo. They don't seem to struggle at all with the weight watching them run or asking the owner. FWC's draw my attention when traveling because I own one and I have seen them on Tacomas, Tundras, Ford Chevy Dodge 1/2 tons but I have only seen one FWC on a 3/4 ton and none on 1 ton. I have seen lots of other brands on the 3/4 and 1 tons though. It may be a self segregating sample with FWC since I think one of the draws for the brand is the lighter weight and going with a smaller truck.

Same situation here. Looking for more load capacity than my 06 Tundra A/C has. I've been looking at the standard f250 and the F150 with the load package. F150 (5.0) with load pack. in 4x4 is rated to carry 2660 lbs (2910 lbs 4x2). F250 standard package betters it by a few hundred pounds and can be had for less money(6.2 motor) than the f150. I don't think you could go wrong with either.

2015 F150 with Hawk.

Attachments

• IMGP0002.jpg
    IMGP0002.jpg
    346.9 KB · Views: 306
Cooter said:
We have done everything from interstates to FS roads like the Macgruder road with this rig.
WOW!

I would hardly call the Magruder Corridor a road even if so stated by the FS. We call it a dual track in the dual sport motorcycle community. While riding the corridor on motorcycles last summer, we passed a 4 door CJ and a Toy FJ, both with heavily modified suspensions, wheels/tires and recovery gear.

I've driven Government Mines Road (west of Cottonwood, AZ) and a few other fun BLM roads in my F250/Hawk. But, I don't think I would have ever considered taking my F250 (OME/Rancho RS9000 suspension upgrades, Toyo Open Country tires) with my Hawk in back over the Magruder. But, then my F250 is old school with leaves up front, thus, requiring half of Idaho to complete a 180 turn. The Magruder is mostly "Formed Track" with a few spots classified as "Rugged Track."

I definitely would not take a new, stock suspension "beer can" F150 up this trail. Once reaching the end, it might look like a crushed beer can :D .

But, each to his own! Be safe and have FUN!

Getting to the OP's question, I think the F150 will have a better book value years from now compared to the Tundra. Something to consider when you upgrade years down the road. The book value on my '03 F-250 XLT Crew has been going up the past 18 months!

We spent three days driving the Macgruder road and loved it especially that we had the camping to ourselves. On our list to do again. We banged around a little bit and I learned that the aluminum body was tougher than I thought it would be as I don't worry about dents on a truck too much. The picture earlier in the thread is a few months after we drove Macgruder. I used the hill descent control for long stretches on that trip and it worked great. We ran once for eight miles on hill descent control down to the Selway river which we had to ourselves. I was glad I bought a set of Cooper AT3 E rated tires before the trip. No dents just a few scratches I will have a chain saw next time.

Cooter said:
We spent three days driving the Macgruder road and loved it especially that we had the camping to ourselves. On our list to do again. We banged around a little bit and I learned that the aluminum body was tougher than I thought it would be as I don't worry about dents on a truck too much. The picture earlier in the thread is a few months after we drove Macgruder. I used the hill descent control for long stretches on that trip and it worked great. We ran once for eight miles on hill descent control down to the Selway river which we had to ourselves. I was glad I bought a set of Cooper AT3 E rated tires before the trip. No dents just a few scratches I will have a chain saw next time.
Good to hear! That's impressive!

3 days just for the Magruder and Selway would be fun! We blasted through in 6 hours. But the IDBDR is over 1250 miles.

I still can't imagine driving my rig on the Magruder.

There is a road out of Elk City down to the Selway River. The views were stunning as was the lush vegetation. I could likely do that road in my 250. Locals use the road to cut an hour off driving to Missoula. I read the fire this fall destroyed trees on a lot of acreage and the road was closed.

Agreed. It would be wise to do both roads with the 10 ply E rated tires. Not a place for a flat, or two. The tow and/or service call would be outrageously expensive.

Cooter said:
Cooter, can you tell me if there has been any mounting issues with the aluminum box? I'm thinking of moving to the 2017 model (from my 2013) next year. Was there anything special with the mount points in the box?

We chose a Tundra, mainly because they just drive better. It's like going from a Ford to a BMW with regards to steering feel and vehicle feedback. Night and day difference to me. I've never been a fan of how domestic trucks drive and I've had them all.

Resale value on the Tundra will be higher.

Get the truck that you like driving.

Cooter said:
I have a 2015 F150 with a Hawk on full-time, don't even own jacks. I have had it on since factory install last June and the truck easily handles the payload. In fact it is the fastest accelerating vehicle that I have ever owned. We have done everything from interstates to FS roads like the Macgruder road with this rig. The only modification that I have done is to install Torklift Stableloads before the camper was installed but not sure if I needed them or not as I have not driven the rig without them. You probably can't go wrong with either the Tundra or the F150. My truck is the super crew with 6.5 bed and 3.5 ecoboost. It is the 4WD FX4, 36 gal tank, we carry two adults two large dogs and probably 500 lbs gear. The Hawk weighed 1240 at the factory.
Cooter, what kind of gas mileage you getting with that setup?

Hello to everyone who took the time, l wanted to report back to you all for helping me, as Im a newbie, understanding the complexity of Off Road Campers. There's a lot to learn.
I made a decision and went with the 8 cylinder Ford 2015 XLT F150 with the FX4 off-road package. I added the upgraded interior package, 36 gal fuel tank. I exchanged the wrangler 18" M&S tires to Kelly Edge E rated AT 18" tires. Max Cargo weight was 2020 lbs. on the door post. 3400 front axle and 3800 lbs rear. I drove the truck semi empty for a 13 night tent camping trip to Florida and averaged 19 to 20 mpg using 92% High Octane fuel.
I loaded a 1300 lb. Hawk, + added real axle Firestone ride right bags.

So with full 28 gal water tank and 50lbs of food in the ref. + 100 lbs of personal gear, add 200lbs of camping accessories off we went. 1st stop:
I weighed in on a CAT scale at total gross weight of 7200 lbs. about 200 lbs over Max GVW. And headed out for 7 nights in the Great Smokey's
I took the chance that after burning off some fuel and using 5 to 6 gallons of water a day (there are 2 of us) I'd be running pretty close to GVW.

From sea level to a peak elevation of 6900 feet I averaged just under 17 mpg. Air pressure in front tires I set at 50 lbs and 60 lbs in the rear.
Rig performed very well, down hills i ran in Tow Haul mode which reduce unnecessary breaking. Plenty of power going up-hill and quick excel. entering hwy, off ramps, dirt off roads etc. (Of note: Costco gas SC was $2.09 a gal of premium. )

I'm working on improving peak tire performance as I can fill the tires up to 80 psi but not sure thats the way to go.

We're headed for an 8 week trip "Frontier Circuit" via Trans Labrador Hwy, (some tough road condition I'm told) to Labrador-Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, PEI, Quebec. Mostly booked stays @ National & Provincial parks. ImageUploadedByWander The West1464209723.260735.jpgI'll report in when I've completed the trip and report on rig performance.

Again thanks to you all for the great discussion on this topic and in other topics.

Hope to be headed west next year would like to drive and camp along the Moki Dogout, and the 4 corners area.

Be safe
SeatoSea

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

I had a Hawk shell( 695 lbs.) on my '03 Tundra. It weighed nearly 1100 lbs. with options, I was alway running at max. GVW carrying 1400 lbs. fully loaded. No problems other than a one time blown an air bag and shock.
I am now looking at a new truck and camper. I am leaning heavily toward a Hallmark K2(1295Lbs.) and with options and supplies should weigh approx. 1900 lbs. Research tells me a F150 x-cab, 4x4 can handle up to 2000 lbs. I am not going to run around at maximum GVW again. I am going with a 3/4T truck this time. The 3/4T costs a little more to buy and operate. But the peace of mind it affords is priceless.

Back
Top Bottom