Ford F350 6.0L Diesel and TorqShift Automatic

Happyjax

Hi all,
I am looking at a used 2006 F350 with the 6.0l diesel engine. It has 150,000 miles and seems to have been maintained well but I have read some horror stories about them while researching. Anyone have any experience with this engine and any advice on maintenance. I have zero experience with big trucks and diesel engines so hoping for some knowledge to help with this decision.
Thanks a bunch!

Jackie, the 6.0 and 6.4 liter diesels could be problematic. I don't know all all the details, but it was a luck of the draw situation. Some were great, some had issues. Check the Ford diesel forums to learn more. If all the fixes were done, you might have a really good reliable truck. Personally, I would go for a newer truck, something around a 2012-13 with the 6.7L engine and the 6 speed transmission. They are much more powerful. An alternative would be an older 7.3L diesel. Great engines, but they are all at least 13 years old now. I had one for over 16 years. When I sold it, I had people lined up to buy. Maintenance of any diesel is going to be more expensive. They hold nearly 4 gallons of oil, so an oil change is about $100.

If you're thinking about traveling in to Mexico, I'm told they don't have ultra low sulfur diesel, so factor that in. Either an older diesel or gas engine might be a better choice.

Our current truck is a 2014 F350 with the 6.7. It's smooth, comfortable and has all the power I need, and then some.

I've two friends who owned Ford's 6 liter diesel, one in a E350 and one in a F250. The bought-new 350 engine was in and out of the shop with many problems until he sold it at 40k miles swearing he would never own a Ford again. The 250 was bought used with 60k miles on it but the engine basically disintegrated at 1xxk and he junked the rig after receiving the repair estimate. He did buy another F250 though, a gasser.

As Sagebrush says: It could be problematic.

I read all about the 6.0 before I ordered one, mine was put into one of the last 2006-year built 2007 models before they switched to the 6.4.

Two main things Ford did to the International/Navistar engine when they converted it to a Ford. 1) The changed the front casting and this removed the coolant filter. 2) They changed the electronics to hot-rod the engine from the original 250 HP to 325 HP.

So I did two things that many Ford owners didn't do to the 6.0L. I didn't add any sort of tuner, since the engine had already been pushed to reasonable limits (in my opinion) by Ford. I did add a coolant filter and check/replace it as required.

Ambulances had lots of issues with the 6.0L, I think due to the fact they had no intercooler, and they idled for long periods, and/or get romped on when cold. So I do neither of those things.

I have nearly 10 years of trouble free service from mine, so far. I Hope I am only half way or less through my use of it.

If I were to buy a used one I would be cautious, and would only want to acquire one that had been dealt with, how I dealt with mine.

Nearly every horror story I read, that had honest details of the history of the vehicle, included a tuner and/or the lack of a filter, and/or was in an ambulance.

Today the newest 6.0 you will find is 10 or more years old, and what are the odds of finding one for sale by a trustworthy sole owner whom you can talk to about the life of the vehicle?

I couldn't agree with Desert Dave more. I've been around a couple of 6.0's in work truck applications. A friend of mine had one in a 2003 f250 flatbed that he used for towing skid steers and other logging machines and he never had problems with it. It was a running joke to see when it would blow up, but it outlasted the dodges on the jobsite :unsure:. But, he never "chipped" it or messed with the engine other than routine and proper maintenance.
On the other hand, one of the older ambulances at the service I work at was a 6.0 and it would systematically lose and injector about once a year and sit in the shop for months costing thousands. But then again it would be started cold, driven hard for sometimes long distances, idle for an extended time, and run hard home. Needless to say it was eventually let go. That being said, I haven't seen any ambulances from one of the big three that hasn't spent a good amount of time in the shop. Our oldest (2006 duramax) runs circles around our brand new duramax's in regards to reliability and power. Maintenance and how the truck was driven seems to matter as much as anything, like with most things.

I'll also agree with Dave as well.

I have a 2006 F-350 SRW with 145k on the clock that I will be putting our new Hallmark on in a couple of weeks!

I bought the truck new and have kept it stock other than a few longevity upgrades like the coolant filter and the "Blue Spring" upgrade.

It has plenty of power, gets decent mileage (for a large truck) and with the long bed it has a large fuel tank that will put any taco or jeep owner to shame...

Maintenance is critical on these engines. Oil changes EVERY 5k miles. Fuel filters and very 15k and tranny fluid flush every 30k is what I do. I also tow heavy quite a bit with this truck...

If the truck checks out go ahead and buy it.

I have a 2004 6.0. I did a ton of research before buying and originally determined not to invest my money in the 6.0. The major problems with them are related to EGR valves, oil coolers, and head gaskets. However, I found one in perfect condition with 60k miles on it for an amazing price. I determined that I could replace the EGR valve, oil cooler, and head gaskets at the price I was buying and still pay 5k less than a comparable chevy. Shortly after I bought it I notice the coolant spewing out of the coolant reservoir. I just added coolant back in all the time for the first couple years and watched it closely. I finally took it in last year to find out why it was going through coolant and learned it was a head gasket leak.

I'm sure I got it so cheap because the dealership I bought it from knew it had a head gasket problem. It cost me about 6k to replace the head gasket, install aftermarket ARP head studs, and replace the EGR valve and coolant filters. Now that this work has been done I'm hoping for years of good service.

I couldn't agree more with previous posts concerning tuners or chips. They are a bad idea for the 6.0. Don't buy one that has had a tuner put on it if the owner has not also installed aftermarket ARP head studs. I run mine stock and love it. Plenty of power and mileage isn't bad either. The only thing that bothers me is that they are plagued with excessive turbo lag. But other than the one very costly repair mine has been trouble free and I fully expect several years of good use ahead.

I have a brother --- DrJ -- who bought an expedition with a 6.0 in it. I think if you ask him he would pass on it if he could go back in time. Maybe he'll comment too.

Bottom line for me is you should only buy the 6.0 if you are getting a great deal because there is a good chance you will be spending 5-6k to replace head gasket, oil cooler, and EGR. And do them all at the same time when any one of them go out.

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

Ford offered some decent gas engines in 2006. Higher payload with the same towing capacity.

Desert Dave has it right. A lot of 6.0 issues were caused or exacerbated by hot-rodding them, which blew the head gaskets secured with TTY (torque-to-yield) bolts. However, the stock EGR coolers are definitely problematic—the fine coolant passages clog and reduce flow to the oil cooler. A good prophylactic move is to install a tube-type EGR cooler and a coolant filter.

The good thing about the trucks is that prices are way low because of the reputation.

Ace has a point as well. However, the mileage we get from our 6.0 when towing is way higher than any of the contemporary gas engines could match. It's all about priorities, I guess.

Low-sulfur diesel fuel is no problem for pre-2008 diesel engines.

Thanks everyone for your input.
I am learning a lot about diesels. I had not envisioned ever owning one or a 1 ton truck of any type. That is why I am lucky to have stumbled onto this great site. I would have made many costly mistakes had I blindly gone into camper and truck buying on my own.
This site and you wonderful people have been a wealth of info and given me knowledge to make an informed buying decision that will make eventual camping experiences much safer and fun! Can't wait to get out there and kick up some dust!

I took a leap of faith, of a sort, on this date in May 2004, when I purchased an '02 F350 SRW long bed crew cab diesel (7.3 liter w/ 4R100 automatic trans). Keeping with my lifelong requirement that I have some communication with the prior owner, even when the purchase is from a dealership, I was able to reach the guy who had put 96,500 miles on it over only 22 months since purchasing it new. Having no reason to lie to me, he spent 15 minutes on the phone with me and I learned of his oil field service company work throughout Texas and Oklahoma, putting 1,000 to 2,000 miles a week on it, never chipping it, changing the ATF at 15,000 mile increments, oil and filter changes at least monthly (sometimes every 2 weeks), and most importantly, never having towed anything other than a light utility trailer with it. He told me he wasn't sure anybody had ever sat in the back seat--even his kids. "Let me tell you something for certain, after the work weeks I have, the last thing I want to do is drive that truck with my family in it when I'm back home here in College Station".

With plenty of ongoing scheduled maintenance, and probably with some assistance from having switched over to full synthetic engine oil, ATF, and rear gear fluid, she turned 269,000 on Monday on the return trip from a weekend on Chesapeake Bay. Still gets 20 mpg when very gently driven on flat ground, 17-18 mpg when driven a little faster, and 15 mpg towing my 6 x 12' utility trailer. The Blackstone oil and ATF analyses always come back with rave reviews of the metals, water, and fuel %s in the fluids, and she burns essentially no engine oil between changes.

This carefully selected and thoroughly vetted fuel oil-burning pickup is, hands down, the best truck I've ever owned, and I've owned an even dozen IH Scouts, 4WD Suburbans, half-ton 4WD pickups, and Jeep Wagoneers/Cherokees over the last 43 years. Having done lots of homework on a particular 6.0 IH diesel in a Ford pickup, I would have no hesitation about buying one.

Foy

One other question which I suspect will give me a wide range of answers......
What mileage difference should I see between a large diesel engine and a large v-8 gasser. I am not holding anyone liable here but they don't post mileage ranges with the larger trucks so curious what real life experiences are :)
Loaded and unloaded if you have specs:)
Thanks all!

My experience is probably not relevant. 1991 Ford 7.5 L gas with 1997 Grandby. 8 MPG 2007 Ford with 6.0L diesel 14.2 MPG.

Like they say, your mileage may vary. Newer Gas much better on mileage.

With the camper on and pulling my four horse trailer I get about 10mpg with my 6.0. Just the camper I get about 12-14 depending on how I drive. Empty I get 15-17. My only gas truck was a 1980 ford 460. It got 3 mpg loaded and 8-10 empty. But newer gas engines are much better I think.

Speed makes a big difference in my mileage now (it didn't used to). I have a 2005 F250 with V-10 gas engine. Unloaded I get up to 11-12 mpg. With the camper on (which it is full time now) I get just under 10 mpg.

68 Siesta said:
With the camper on and pulling my four horse trailer I get about 10mpg with my 6.0. Just the camper I get about 12-14 depending on how I drive. Empty I get 15-17. My only gas truck was a 1980 ford 460. It got 3 mpg loaded and 8-10 empty. But newer gas engines are much better I think.

Wait, did you just say 3 mpg loaded????

I'm not sure a pirate could ever steal enough gold to pay for the gas for that ride.
Wow!!!

HJ, click the fuelly link in my signature below to check out the mileage my 6.2l gas super duty has been getting. It's the real computed mileage, not the so-called "Lie-o-meter" dash computer number (which seems to run about 10% high). On the highway, I tend to drive slowly ~60 as long as people have a way around me, and I use cruise control most the time (except in mountains). The worst tank was about 11 MPG, that included about 60 miles on the White Rim Trail at about ~5 MPH.

You can compare other trucks on fuelly, but I have seen a few listed as gas engines when I can clearly see a power stroke badge on the trucks picture, so, YMMV!! I guess some people don't know what engine they own . . .

Through January the truck was loaded with my Hawk, gear, myself and wife for all the miles - say 18-1900 lbs. Since then, no camper trips :(

DrJ said:

I'm not sure a pirate could ever steal enough gold to pay for the gas for that ride.
Wow!!!
Yeah, my '77 F250 with a 460 (7.5l) got about 9 MPG averaged over the 10-12 years I owned it. I never heavily loaded it, but saw things drop on occasion to 6-7 MPG.

DrJ said:

Wow!!!

Yep. Towing 10k lbs of horse and trailer and 2000 lbs in camper got me 3mph on that 460. Could get 4-5 with that load if I kept it under 60. Upgrading to the diesel at least tripled my mileage!

Back
Top Bottom