Fords are hard to drive

pods8

Contributors
Model T's that is (had to make it controversial to keep up with fisherman :D) Was back home last week for a funeral, unfortunately, but I did get a chance to go out in my step-dad's 1919 convertible. There is a pickup in the works currently too.

Anyways the controls go like this:
Left hand lever on the steering wheel is spark advancement for starting.
Right hand lever on the steering wheel is throttle.
Left hand floor lever locks car in neutral (see below)
Left foot pedal when pushed in is 1st gear, released is 2nd gear and held in the middle is neutral (this is not intuitive the first time you get in it).
Middle pedal engages reverse.
Right pedal is the brake, they are not strong you need to engine brake the thing and just use these for final slowing.

So you advance the spark and start the rig (it has a starter on it but also a hand crank) eventually when warm you adjust the spark back. Hold the gear pedal in the middle for neutral and release the left hand lever. Start giving it some throttle with the lever and push the gear pedal in. Build up some speed by applying more throttle then dump the throttle back to idle, release the gear pedal so its in second and then start throttling again.

To stop you cut back on the throttle, then put the gear peddal back to the floor(in first) and apply throttle before again cutting the throttle back. Then let the gear pedal out into the middle to neutral and hit the brakes.

Being used to the stopping power of modern day brakes I blew a few turns (luckily I was in the right of way direction and didn't HAVE to stop).

Sorry, I had to read the post twice. I thought you where talking about modern Fords! Take that fish:D Those old cars are a chore that's for sure.

Cheers,

Mike

Sorry, I had to read the post twice. I thought you where talking about modern Fords! Take that fish:D Those old cars are a chore that's for sure.

Cheers,

Mike

I've learned my lesson the hard way, Pacbrake is out of business, Fords are the worst trucks I've ever driven, and I'm going on a nature walk tomorrow, to take some wildlife pictures to post, but that will have to be after Confession.

Fisherman,

When you're done with the Tacoma, make the switch to the good side complete and get a Tundra. With the supercharger, they top 500 hp. I would love to see your build up on one of those.

Fisherman,

When you're done with the Tacoma, make the switch to the good side complete and get a Tundra. With the supercharger, they top 500 hp. I would love to see your build up on one of those.

it just so happens that I could post you a picture of that particular setup, I know another nut who did it, the thing is a beast when you mash your right foot down, but, it eats 91oct. like there's no tomorrow.

You buy a new truck, replace half of the parts with pieces that cost more than gold, and are worried about mileage.:confused: 91 octane is cheap compared to everything else that goes in your trucks!

Back
Top Bottom