Fort Bragg Area

super doody

Our plan A is to head up to Lake Pillsbury area with our friends for the 4th but it may be too hot for my pregnant wife.

I'm looking for last minute suggestions on places to camp near Fort Bragg area if Pogie Point is too hot.

Thanks,

Jim

We have been looking at the coast up there as a Plan B ourselves but are sticking with Plan A for now. With the heat we are experiencing inland the coast is going to fill up fast for the holiday. If you are considering going there instead, do it sooner rather than later or that won't be an option.

20 miles north of Fort Bragg is Westport Union campground. Right on the coast with ocean views but also right on the highway, so good and bad. Not very big and first come/first served so it typically fills up on weekends. Definitely will fill up for the holiday weekend. 20 miles south of Ft Bragg is a fairly unknown annex to Navarro River State Park right on the beach. Really nothing more than big parking spaces with picnic tables but hard to get a better location. Only 10 sites and again first come/first served so gauranteed to fill up fast. A bit further south is Manchester State Park which has a fairly large campground but gets much less use because no ocean view. Good luck.

Ted said:
We have been looking at the coast up there as a Plan B ourselves but are sticking with Plan A for now. With the heat we are experiencing inland the coast is going to fill up fast for the holiday. If you are considering going there instead, do it sooner rather than later or that won't be an option.

20 miles north of Fort Bragg is Westport Union campground. Right on the coast with ocean views but also right on the highway, so good and bad. Not very big and first come/first served so it typically fills up on weekends. Definitely will fill up for the holiday weekend. 20 miles south of Ft Bragg is a fairly unknown annex to Navarro River State Park right on the beach. Really nothing more than big parking spaces with picnic tables but hard to get a better location. Only 10 sites and again first come/first served so gauranteed to fill up fast. A bit further south is Manchester State Park which has a fairly large campground but gets much less use because no ocean view. Good luck.
Thanks for the tip Ted.

Years ago we went to a small camp ground called Casper Beach not very big has good access to the beach. Look it up on the internet. Any place on the beach will be hard to get during a Holiday especially with this heat.

That Russian Gulch sounds nice.I looked at sites all seems full until late next week.
I'll have to try this place non holiday time during the week.
I have always liked the Ft Bragg area,but it has gotten very popular it's hard to find drive up spots.
At least if you have a time specific you can make a reservation.
Good luck with finding a place to camp.The Navarro river site is nice if you can get a spot,or the Union beach area past Ft.Bragg doesn't seem to get that "city" camper person.so space may be easier there.
Have a good time.
Frank

It may be a bit too far, but if you can make it to Shelter Cove, it is a beautiful little area. There is one area where you can park on the beach, day use only. You will be in the "Lost Coast" area of California, outstanding place. My wife and I just backpacked the trail from Mattole Beach to Shelter Cove, part of the "Lost Coast Trail" We would go back there in a heartbeat.

Back
Top Bottom