Forward Dinette AC Solution

dasadab

Advanced Member
Hi,
I am really interested in a Grandby, forward dinette with the interior shower option. With this option you get the interior shower and cassette toilet. This is the only floor plan that offers these features. It's perfect for my wife and me. The only drawback is that there is no AC option because of space limitations. We do a lot of desert and high humidity camping and are getting up in years so AC would be a nice addition. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas/solutions. Ideally a rear mounted AC to reduce height issues with the garage opening.
Thanks.

I have a Hawk model with an a/c where the rear window was. This probably won't work for you unless FWC will relocate the storage cabinets above the toilet(reference FWC drawing). Another option would be a roof mounted unit, you would need gas lifting struts to help with the weight issue. Don't know if this has ever been done, I'm sure Stan or someone at FWC could tell you if it is feasible.

Beach said:
I have a Hawk model with an a/c where the rear window was. This probably won't work for you unless FWC will relocate the storage cabinets above the toilet(reference FWC drawing). Another option would be a roof mounted unit, you would need gas lifting struts to help with the weight issue. Don't know if this has ever been done, I'm sure Stan or someone at FWC could tell you if it is feasible.
The problem with relocating the cabinets in that area is that the propane box is there so taking the cabinets out would gain space but half of the back wall would still be covered.

LookyLou said:
The problem with relocating the cabinets in that area is that the propane box is there so taking the cabinets out would gain space but half of the back wall would still be covered.
I see no reason why the cabinets, right of the refrigerator, couldnt be cut down to half of their height allowing for a short, portable toilet (Thetford Curve) .... and AC on back wall.

Its hard for me to believe that two small propane tanks can cause that big of an issue. :confused:

Can the AC not be mounted higher than "front dinette" right side cabinets??

Bombsight said:
I see no reason why the cabinets, right of the refrigerator, couldnt be cut down to half of their height allowing for a short, portable toilet (Thetford Curve) .... and AC on back wall.

Its hard for me to believe that two small propane tanks can cause that big of an issue. :confused:

Can the AC not be mounted higher than "front dinette" right side cabinets??
If you get a cassette toilet this is where it goes. If not, it becomes extra storage. It might be possible if you could mount the A/C so the long dimension was vertical instead of horizontal. Might be possible if the propane box was repositioned to the floor and accessed from the rear of the camper instead of the side.

LookyLou said:
If you get a cassette toilet this is where it goes. If not, it becomes extra storage. It might be possible if you could mount the A/C so the long dimension was vertical instead of horizontal. Might be possible if the propane box was repositioned to the floor and accessed from the rear of the camper instead of the side.
The door on the models with the propane high is centered, when the propane is in the back the door is off center.

The real problem will be that FWC doesn't do any custom work. In my fleet forward dinette, the only space I could physically do something like that would be either under the stove or above it (if there is room?). Problem is, either place with require a redesign of the aluminum frame. As FWC has told me several times before, if it isn't on options list, we don't do it. So don't expect them to design a frame with a nice air condition sized hole for you.

If someone made a small portable unit with just an intake and exhaust hose, you could probably make it work. But the only ones I've seen are household models and they're large. It would sure be nice if there was a small cabinet mounted AC that only required ducting to the exterior and a drain hose, I just haven't seen them.

At one point I believe I saw an RV company install a window style AC in an overhead cabinet (hard side truck camper), and they used a side vent and roof vent like they do for refrigerators. No idea how well it worked, or if you could probably vent one on a pop up.

billharr said:
The door on the models with the propane high is centered, when the propane is in the back the door is off center.
I have a front dinette with the propane high on the right rear with access from the side. My door is off center biased to the driver's side. The off center is caused by a difference in cabinet depth from driver's side to passengers side. The cabinets are slightly deeper on the passenger side in the Grandby with front dinette.

brianjwilson said:
The real problem will be that FWC doesn't do any custom work.
I'm not requesting "Custom work".
I'd just like to have another (more reasonable) floor plan available.
I think there are many others who would like the same and that would make it worth it to FWC's. overall sales.

A side dinette might be in my future .... but FWC's would do VERY well to offer a 4th floor plan with shower & AC. imho.
Very few seem to like the long bench seating ..... so FWC's could nix that floor plan and start the shower/AC combo.

In the photo below, the Toilet could fit under the propane tanks (or vice versa) and the white "x's" could be omitted from the cabinet plan. The AC would then fit in place of the omitted cabinetry just like a side dinette floor plan.

Attachments

• Low-Profile-Lightweight-Popup-Truck-Camper-Regular-Bed-Truck-Camper.jpg
    Low-Profile-Lightweight-Popup-Truck-Camper-Regular-Bed-Truck-Camper.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 218
We have a 2014 Grandby with front dinette. An A/C unit was't an option. We had FWC leave the lower cabinet door off and store our Porta potti there. We have a portable A/C unit that sits in the aisle and vents out through the turnbuckle door. Unless you have shore power or a generator you are out of luck to power the A/C. Jd

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Wander The West mobile app

Thank you for the posts. I am hesitating to buy the front dinette or any floor plan because of the no AC option.

Longhorn1, can you share what model portable AC you use.

Thanks.

Yes, when I return from our trip. If you don't hear from me PM on Monday.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Wander The West mobile app

I have a FWC (Raven Shell). I purchased a portable AC. I am still in the experimental stages in trying to determine the best location for my needs, but I am starting with this setup for now.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 223
tiptop said:
I have a FWC (Raven Shell). I purchased a portable AC. I am still in the experimental stages in trying to determine the best location for my needs, but I am starting with this setup for now.
What brand/model is the AC unit?
Where is the evaporator line or how are you discharging the condensation?
Thx!

dasadab said:
Thank you for the posts. I am hesitating to buy the front dinette or any floor plan because of the no AC option.

Longhorn1, can you share what model portable AC you use.

Thanks.
Here is the website: http://www.compactappliance.com/Koldfront-7000-BTU-Slim-Design-Portable-Air-Conditioner-White/PAC701W.html

We have used it several times and keeps the camper cool, but it takes up half the aisle way. If you go to my blog and click on the McCormicks Creek trip, I believe I have a photo of it set-up. The exhaust hose and the condensation line go through a piece of single ply roofing into the turnbuckle opening. Our unit has a dehumidifier and really don't need a hose but I hook it up anyways and it drips off the back of the bed. jd

I recently purchased a Hawk and live in the Midwest. I built a small platform that sits in the large passenger side window when opened.
It will support a 5000btu window air conditioner.The drawbacks...air conditioners are heavy and takes 10 minutes (or less) to install and uninstall. Of course, you also need shore power or a generator. I don't plan to use my FWC in the midwest in warmer temps much as I got it mostley to go west. However, my wife and I used it with the air conditioner a week or so ago in Wisconsin. Probably could hang meat in it as it waas very cool!

Back
Top Bottom