Fossils from BC Canada

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie
Site Team
These fossils were collected from an Alaskan, BC trip we made in 1990.
I was going through our storage cubbard ,for trip info and found a bag containing several fossils.
I had forgotten about them for many years.
We had stopped in Smithers BC on our way south on the Yellowhead Hwy to spend the night.One of the things to do was visit Driftwood Canyon PP.
It's about a 6 mile east of town.
While there we walked to the "fossil cliff".
The girls and myself had a great time searching the cliff talus slope for rocks containing fossils.
We found several nice fish ones,about the size of a minnow and some plant leaves (dawn Redwood).
I think we gave away the fish ones to friends grand kids who were studding fossils.
I just now researched the park and about 5 years ago they stopped the fossil collecting.When we were there you could keep the smaller ones and it you found a large or important one it was requested to turn them in.
If anyone drives through that area it is a nice stop.
Frank

Attachments

• DSCN7681.jpg
    DSCN7681.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 92
  • DSCN7683.jpg
    DSCN7683.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 88
  • DSCN7684.jpg
    DSCN7684.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 88
Casa:

These would make great presents to kids.

I love the story that fossils tell but I'm at that stage in life called "distribution," well past "accumulation." My rock and fossil has been passed on to others.

A rock collection with about 20 specimens, including my polished agate, put together by a friend of my favorite aunt, in a cigar box that I still have, got me started in a geology career that spanned 40+ years, several continents, and was very rewarding personally and financially.

"Rocks rock" (I can't claim that as mine ;-))

Bill

Bill thanks. Most of the good ones we gave away over the years to kids who found an interest in them.That made us feel good to do that.
These were a few that we forgot about over the years but still nice ones.
We enjoyed the visit to that park in1990. Our girls had a great time searching through the talus to find them. At the time there were very few visitors to the area ,but over the years like most things it changed and people were destroying the "fossil" cliff.
So now all you get to do is stand on a walkway across from the cliff and read about them. No more hands on.

Geology "viewing" has always been a fun think to do out in nature for us. A lot of our trips especially out here in the west were and still are based on some geological area. We always tried to get the girls involved and they loved it. Even now they still talk about our trips.
Frank

Casa,
I'm a retired teacher who used fossils as a way to get students (6th g.) interested in science. Usually collect in NV and UT; your fish are similar to the fossil fish found in the quarries at Kemmerer,WY. I'm always looking for new fossil collecting sites; just for myself, nothing commercial. Usually BLM land offers the best chance to roam about and collect invertebrates.
Jim/ Lobo

Back
Top Bottom