Four Corners Planning

ethernectar

Going to plan a 10 day trip from here (Orange County) out to explore the area around there. I've done lots of trips throughout Southern UT, but have only driven through the Four Corners area.

I plan to tent camp one or two nights in a row, then hotel/motel for a night.

My initial list:

Grand Canyon
Page (Antelope Canyon)
Bluff UT area (by way of Kayenta)
Monument Valley
Shiprock
Then eventually back through Sedona

What am I missing in that loop?
If I extend it further into CO and NM, what are the must-see spots?

Thanks,

Matt

I'd add Canyon de Chelly, Chaco Canyon, Mesa Verde and Valley of the Gods, maybe a hike in to House on Fire ruin as well.

Valley of the Gods (SE Utah)
Chaco Canyon (NW New Mexico)
Moki Dugway (an invigorating stretch of road just outside Valley of the Gods :) )
Mesa Verde (SW Colorado)
Canyon De Chelly (AZ)

Would be so easy to extend an add so many places that you don't have any quality time at any of them. 10 days can go by pretty quick, luckily you're only a hard days travel away from most of the area

Cayuse said:
I'd add Canyon de Chelly, Chaco Canyon, Mesa Verde and Valley of the Gods, maybe a hike in to House on Fire ruin as well.
Must be a PNW thing, pretty much the same list :)

Bad Habit beat me to it! :) Visit Valley of the Gods and the Goosenecks and then drive the Moki Dugway and visit Natural Bridges. Oh, and if you can, add another 10 days to your trip! :)

Just in case you don't already know, Antelope Canyon must be done with a guide, and there will be crowds. The more photogenic tour times cost more. It's beautiful, but I don't think I would go again - too many people.

I would drive through the Petrified Forest along with Montezuma's Castle, Montezuma's Well, Oak Creek Canyon and Tuzigoot ruins on your way back to Sedona.

In the Flagstaff area Walnut Canyon, Sunset Crater and Wapatki ruins are definitely worth checking out.

Also the Homolovi ruins are right off of I-40 near Winslow.

The Colorado Plateau is a magical place, ten days will be just enough to whet your appetite. I know you'll be back for more.

If there's room I would be happy to stowaway in your trunk. :D

Have a safe journey and looking forward to your TR.

Thanks for the great recommendations guys!

Highz - yep, I've done it three times, one good guide, two bad. Want to plan ahead and find a guide that will let me do my thing at my own pace.

I don't see that anyone has yet mentioned Navajo National Monument.

On the way to Kayenta on Hwy 160, turn left onto Hwy 564, go 8-9 miles.
Even if you're only there for an hour or two you can take a short walk on the Sandal Trail to view the Betatakin/Talastima cliff dwelling (1 mile round trip), or perhaps either of the other two canyon rim trails to look down at the dwellings. A telephoto lens is good for seeing the details across the canyons. Easy to return back the way you came on Hwy 564 to Hwy 160.

If you need a place to stay over, they have a nice campground too. Sunset campground is paved with toilets, open all year, Canyon View is a dirt road, more primitive and not open till April. No fixed fee for camping, just pay what you think is right. And, it's not that far from Monument Valley, easy to get there for the early morning light, if you camp at Navajo National Monument.

Absolutely do not pass up Chaco Canyon. Good camp ground and one of the most important archeological sites in the southwest. Parts of the same complex are the Aztec and Salmon ruins in the Farmington area. If you are interested in southwestern prehistory, this is a must see. If not interested in prehistory, the landscape is awe inspiring.

If you're at Navajo National Monument, I suggest the "overload" camping area. It is the original with the best views and few if any people.

Since you mentioned Bluff, Utah. Best camping is at Goldmine Camp (free, on BLM) which is on the San Juan River under some big cottonwoods. 4wd required. You access Goldmine Camp by crossing the airstrip west of town and working your way to the river via the dirt road at the west end of the strip. You cross the airstrip at the east end, then turn left following the strip to the east and then turning towards the river. IMG_6859.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom