Four days

craig333

Riley's Human
Unexpectedly so little time to plan. When I was thinking three days I was going to tow the Jeep and explore some unexplored territory around hope valley, maybe see how bad the fire was past Markleeville and visit my friend at Silver Lake. With four days I'm thinking leave the Jeep home and head over to Great Basin NP. Where to stop on the way or way back I have no idea. Love to have more time to plan but just winging it works, sometimes.

Truck and camper are still a mess from moving but I won't let that stop me since I haven't hit the road since June.

Go for it, Craig!

I've done trips to GBNP in a 4-day window -- from Bend, even, so heading there from Sacramento is not unreasonable (if you don't mind long drives).
:)

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Hickison on the East side of Austin is a nice little CG. You might find enough along 50 to keep you from going to GBNP.
Hickison is usually where we pull off if needed. It's easy and nice.

MarkBC said:
Go for it, Craig!

I've done trips to GBNP in a 4-day window -- from Bend, even, so heading there from Sacramento is not unreasonable (if you don't mind long drives).
:)
Mark is right. Get an early start. Stop for breakfast at the Roadrunner on the west side of Dayton. They open at 7. You'll make it to Great Basin late afternoon. Camp in the upper loop at Wheeler Peak Campground. Give yourself some time to adjust to the elevation. Have fun.

When I was still working -- and every day off was precious -- the last day of a trip to Great Basin NP would usually be a 700-mile drive home. But most of that long drive is through country I love, so not so bad -- worth it to me. :)
Time is still precious, of course...

Berlin Ichthyosaur State Park (Central Nevada)

http://parks.nv.gov/parks/bi/

B.I.S.P. is 327 miles west of Great Basin N.P. so it makes a good overnight stop while on the way back to CA. They have a nice little campground and tons of dispersed camping options. The park is very interesting as is the whole area.

Of course they changed the schedule and now I'm working tomorrow. Back to the original plan. Stick closer to home and try to find some stuff off 88 I've had my mind on for a while now. Work will slow down soon and maybe I can plan a GB trip with even more time off.

Back
Top Bottom