Four Wheel Blazer Pop-up, Finally found one

I made it back from the desert trip without any major problems. The camper was a blessing to have vs camping on the ground. I do know there are things I need to fix though.

Dust ingestion. This was the biggest issue we had as far as the camper was concerned. We did near 250 miles on dirt during the trip. Most of that had fine silty dirt with the consistency of flour. The back of any SUV is a nice low pressure zone that has a natural ability to suck dust in as long as you are moving. Since the FWC Blazer camper has no floor connected to the back wall the only seal you have is what you put on the body for the back wall to seal to when the camper is installed. I had put the same camper tape on the body as I did on the tops of the bedsides when we installed the camper. It was not tight. We had all our gear covered in dust by the third day on the trail. It's not a dealbreaker by any chance but an area that needs the most improvement.

Ian's fridge while great for food preservation was absolutely huge to work around. It blocked access to the front cabinet as I could only open the door about 5" before the door hit the fridge. When I get a fridge it will be smaller and I'll fit it in differently.

The propane door also proved to be problematic. I had added a strap to hold the propane cylinder in the compartment. However, I had it high enough to go around the handle and it caused it to kick the bottom out towards the door when cinched up tight. More than a few times the door popped open on washboard roads. It wasn't until Ian noticed the tab that the latch catches was folded over allowing the latch to slide over it and open without too much effort. He bent it into place and it didn't open again.

My fear about fuel economy dropping was justified, but as I found on the first road day, driving to maximize fuel mileage was not helping. It had me going too slow on grades to the point of needing to pull the shifter down to 2nd for long pulls near the top of some hills. Granted keeping up with Larry's 8.1 powered K10 is a daunting task when he's pulling the same hills and not pulling out of 5th in his truck at 80mph. I found the sweet spot. The engine was happiest pulling 2000 rpm down the highway. That's 75 mph with my gearing. It kept the engine in the torque curve and a tiptoe into the throttle would cause the 700r4 to kick down to 3rd and start pulling 3,000rpm. I could maintain speed rather than slowing down. As I found driving this way on the highway had no huge impact on mileage over putting around at no more than 65mph like I had measured before. It's not as good as it was with no camper at all, but my overall trip mileage just under 12mpg (highway/offroad) is not all bad when you consider what it is. Plus comparing to Larry's big K10 having the 8.1 and weighing in a full 2,000 pounds heavier than mine typically pulls a similar mileage figure for these trips.

Here's some pics from the trip. (full trip report to come later once all the participants cough up thier pics too)

Lunch stop..
IMG_20180602_122838010_HDR by Rob Zulian, on Flickr

At the AZ state line, just south of the 4 corners monument.
IMG_20180602_135052111 by Rob Zulian, on Flickr

At the beginning of the Mojave Road, on the banks of the Colorado River.
IMG_20180603_095338226 by Rob Zulian, on Flickr

Not yet into CA on the Mojave. Desert at last!
IMGP0016 by Rob Zulian, on Flickr

At Ft. Piute for a lunch stop.
IMG_20180603_131637421 by Rob Zulian, on Flickr

Camp spot near the Piute corrals.
IMGP0043 by Rob Zulian, on Flickr

Made to the Mojave Mailbox.
IMGP0090 by Rob Zulian, on Flickr

Night 2 on the Mojave. We are north of the Lava Tubes and off the Mojave Road at this point.
IMG_20180604_195109723_HDR by Rob Zulian, on Flickr

From that campsite, we decided to alter our plans to hit Death Valley. We had been battling opressive heat everyday. We knew this going in and I had seen 113 the day before. But we know DV would be even hotter. The group decided to head for higher elevations and lower temps. We would hit I-15 and make our way to the Arizona strip and the north rim of the Grand Canyon. We also had one of our group from CA split back for home due to time constraints when we hit the interstate. We had no idea what would happen a mere 10 minutes up the highway for us.

IMG_20180605_102626054 by Rob Zulian, on Flickr

What you see above is what's left of a 7-series BMW. This wreck unfolded directly in front of my truck at highway speeds. As being the quick draw in pinpointing the exact closest In-N-Out Burger in Las Vegas I was instructed to lead the group to the promised land of burgers. I-15 starts a hard pull up right from the exit where we aired up and got fuel. So I had to wind the K5 up tight to attack the hil and not loose speed. Nearly cresting the hill in the center lane, I noticed this white flash going by me on the left at a high rate of speed. As quick as I saw this, the car made an immediate right turn directly in front of me. I was still pulling 70-75 at this point. Fearing I was going to drill this car in the passenger side doors I backed out of the throttle and started applying the brakes. The BMW's momentum was so much it kept going past us to the right in a full blown tokyo drift. It ended up completing a 180 and sliding backwards into the rock wall on the right shoulder. It was at this point the car launched into the air and flipped onto it's roof. Again, still carrying a lot of momentum the car began sliding on it's roof back towards us in my K5. I managed to pull over to the left shoulder and get the truck stopped at the exact same point that the BMW stopped. Ian and I both hopped out to check on the driver of the BMW. Thankfully the rest of the traffic stopped too. Ian and I are first to the car and we could hear a woman's voice screaming from the car stating her seatbelt is stuck. I laid down on the road and reached in to help, but she was not within my reach to cut her belt. All I could do was hand her my pocket knife so she could cut herself free. At that point Ian and I helped her out and to the side of the road. One of our group is an RN and took over keeping her calm and body still until the EMT's could get there. Long story short, she was driving like a maniac passing cars on the right and left. She had one of her cheap chinese 22" tires blow out as she passed me and set the whole chain of events in motion all the while facetiming her boyfriend on her phone. She came out with minor injuries. I needed to change my shorts. Larry swears I pulled to the left hard enough to have my truck leaning right hard and having the left side tires almost off the ground. Before that all he saw was the cloud of dust from the car's impact to the wall and all he could think was that it was his friends who just flipped on the highway and that the cloud was from us. I don't know how I hauled my heavy truck in without flipping it, but I did. We survived, helped an idiot that tried to kill us so I felt justified to have a chocolate shake with my Double Double at In-n-Out.

Tomorrow, the AZ strip, Lake Powell and the ride home.

After eating lunch we braved the Las Vegas traffic to head north to Mesquite. We restocked and refueled and poured over paper maps of the area to figure out a way to the AZ strip. Our trailboss Bill had a general plan, but we were using wing and a prayer navigation at this point. We toured the town of Mesquite and found our bridge over the river and led east to the foothills. The road turned to dirt and we came aross this sign:
IMGP0101 by Rob Zulian, on Flickr

Then we see this sign. We know we are on the right track now. Funny how well maintained this road was despite the sign. It was smoother than some of the paved roads back home.
IMGP0102 by Rob Zulian, on Flickr

Views are getting better.
IMGP0105 by Rob Zulian, on Flickr

Yep, we are totally on the right track.
IMGP0108 by Rob Zulian, on Flickr

Great overlook.
IMGP0112 by Rob Zulian, on Flickr

Even better campsite nestled in the trees and gorgeous red rocks.
IMGP0120 by Rob Zulian, on Flickr

IMGP0122 by Rob Zulian, on Flickr

Breaking camp the next morning we slogged our way over many miles of dirt to Tuweep on the north rim of the Grand Canyon.
IMG_20180606_150434941 by Rob Zulian, on Flickr

We had the Tuweep campground mostly to ourselves, except for a group from France on a horseback tour of the canyon.
IMGP0164 by Rob Zulian, on Flickr

IMGP0165 by Rob Zulian, on Flickr

The next morning we broke camp and had two more in our group to head back to CA while we continue our path east towards home. That still had us on close to 100 miles of dirt to get back to highway. After a solid lunch in a little town we split off another of our crew as they headed for a hotel in Page while we were shooting for a campsite on the Beach at Lake Powell. That left three rigs camping at the base of a huge rock overlooking the lake.
IMGP0172 by Rob Zulian, on Flickr

It was here as I was trying to park to set the truck level and camp that I managed to snap another front axle u-joint. It's the only 3rd time on the trip I even needed 4wd but I sunk the front end and had to throw it in to back out.
IMG_20180607_153627590 by Rob Zulian, on Flickr

IMGP0175 by Rob Zulian, on Flickr

We had an interesting visitor that night that was trying to sell us drugs, then get her Subaru stuck in the sand, call us names and wondered why we wouldn't use our trucks to pull her car out of the sand. Had she not been high on meth and bombing around in her car while drinking a beer we might have been more inclined to help. As it was she completely nuts and fooled some other sucker into pull her out only to get stuck again 5 minutes later. No joke. And you can bet she tried again to get one of us to pull her out.

Still we had a great dinner where we all pitched in brats, sauteed peppers and onions with a side of homemade chicken salad. The next morning we decided to blitz home a day early as we could use the remaining weekend to cleanup and get caught up on family obligations. We said our goodbyes with our last cohorts from AZ and MI in Page and the four of us in two remaining trucks headed for the high country of Colorado. It was a long haul home where we'd been on the road since 9 in the morning and arrived home by 10 that night.

Outside of my busted front shaft, we had no other carnage on the trip. I've still got a lot of cleanup to do as well as some minor repairs to small things that stopped working due to all the washboard running we did. The camper was comfy, but will get fresh memoryfoam for the mattress and bench cushions. The aux battery handled the loads of the fridge and lighting without issue overnight, every night. The camper was sure worth having as camp setup and take down only took a matter of minutes. Can't wait to take it out again..

Zoomad,

Really enjoyed your trip report, sounded like a great time with friends, and a lot of scenic country as well.

The car accident sounded pretty scary to watch unfold. Good thing no serious injuries.

Your broken drive axle u-joint made me wonder if you were able to drive with it that way all the way back home? Obviously you got back home, but just curious. That would be a tough fix out in the boonies!

Anyhow thanks for the stories and the photos, good job!

Poky

Lone Rock Beach is notorious for sinking rigs in the sand. The last time we camped there, we saw at least four cars that were up to the pan in sand...

Howdy

All in all , quite an adventure....thanks for sharing....glad you got out there and back home safely.

David Graves

PS Nice writing and images too !

Thanks guys.

Poky- This time we didn't make any trail repairs. Last year we did, but this time we were close enough to home and at the end we decided it was another reason to go home a day early. The benefit is having a solid axle with manual lock outs at the hubs. I just unlocked them and shifted back to 2wd. It's sitting in my driveway with the broken stuff still. I actually have to pick up the replacement on my way home from work today.

Loved the pictures. Was the u joint worn or have you got it out yet to inspect it for cause of failure....other than a case of lead foot itis. Lol.
I have moly shafts in the Jimmy with super joints.

K5nutt-
I have yet to remove and inspect the shaft for the cause of the damage. The axle was completely gone through by Larry prior to him stuffing it under his suburban. Shafts got new joints and knuckles got new Moog ball joints. So the joints I know we're fairly fresh and not original to the axle from 1978. It wiped out two trunions on the joint for sure but I'm not sure if the shafts took any major damage. I had a local yard pull another shaft assembly for me and I'll put a new Spicer joint in it before I toss it in. If the one I broke don't have any damage in the ears I might get a second joint and make a good trail spare out of it.

Since both occurances of breakage happened in deep sand this year and last I think the root cause is the tru-trac limited slip binding up under load and then releasing the torque all at once to the side that's got the least traction. The joint and outer stub are the weakest link in the chain and will snap when shock loaded like that. Funny thing was I didn't lean into the throttle at all this time. Just got stuck and put the truck in reverse and gently stated to pull out of the hole and *Snap* it broke. Last time I was lead footing it and snapped the stub instead.

I just have to be careful on sand. Good thing I don't have much access to that normally.

Fatigue failure is a funny thing. It seems like it nearly always something that should have been inconsequential that is the final straw.

I need to replace the super joint on the right side and i was thinking of trying one of those new fangled RCB's with the red boots.
I have used my arb's once or twice in sand that wasn't to bad with no issues. My superjoint just didn't get enough grease which is my bad. I think however you hit the nail on the head. Awesome pics btw!

And by the way whilst you were out and about the burb trans started to slip on the way home from ND...so that coupled with the cost of the shocks she got traded in for what you originally recommended...a 2015 1/2 ton 4x4 Chevy in LT Z71 flavor.

Hey Rob,

Hated having to leave the trip at the Cima Junction but glad I missed the big accident, just 15 minutes or so after we split up. Larry sent me pics which I picked up as I passed through Baker. Talked to another friend who was in DV that week...as usual, a scorcher. Hope you guys found some relief at the higher elevation of the AZ Strip. I’ll work on a tentative plan for DV next Spring when it’s a bit cooler. I know Bill wants in.

Sorry to hear about the u-joint again. That’s beyond annoying. I hear you about the size of Ian’s Snomaster but...ice cream in the desert rules. Great traveling with you all.

Richard

Hi Zoomad
Good to hear that y’all had a nice trip. You like our Las Vegas traffic huh? I pretty much stick to surface streets.
You might want to look into upgrading those shafts each time those u joints let go it is real hard on those ears.
Still loving your rig!
Russ

Mighty Dodge Ram said:
Hey Rob,

Hated having to leave the trip at the Cima Junction but glad I missed the big accident, just 15 minutes or so after we split up. Larry sent me pics which I picked up as I passed through Baker. Talked to another friend who was in DV that week...as usual, a scorcher. Hope you guys found some relief at the higher elevation of the AZ Strip. I’ll work on a tentative plan for DV next Spring when it’s a bit cooler. I know Bill wants in.

Sorry to hear about the u-joint again. That’s beyond annoying. I hear you about the size of Ian’s Snomaster but...ice cream in the desert rules. Great traveling with you all.

Richard
Glad to hear from you Richard! The higher elevation was cooler for sure. A DV trip earlier in the year when it's cooler could be in the cards. Going earlier would be less conflict with my plans to go to the convention for the Chevy Nomad Club I belong to.

The u-joint isn't a big problem. I've already got the part coming, will have a decent trail spare too. I need to save up for chrome-moly shafts, but I've got other things to deal with first.

I'll get a fridge before the next Desert trip, but I'll likely go a little smaller to save on floor space.

Good to hang out with you too!

CougarCouple said:
Hi Zoomad
Good to hear that y’all had a nice trip. You like our Las Vegas traffic huh? I pretty much stick to surface streets.
You might want to look into upgrading those shafts each time those u joints let go it is real hard on those ears.
Still loving your rig!
Russ
Yeah, Vegas traffic blows. I've driven in many major cities in the country and Vegas ranks right up there on crappy traffic. We were very happy to get north of town and let the traffic stay down there.

Chrome-Moly shafts are on the list of upgrades, but I just can't swing it yet. So the one I have coming will get a fresh spicer joint, cleaned up and installed. This way If I want to go into the hills like I would like to soon, I can. Most of the wheeling I do in the mountains isn't full on rock crawling anyway. For sure there isn't any sand to go play in. Well that is unless I decide to run Medano Pass into the Great Sand Dunes Nat'l Park. You can't play on the dunes, but the trail skirts on the edge of the dunes for a few miles and gets deep in spots. So, I'll not plan to play there until I have that sorted out.

Glad you love the rig!

One of the goals I've always had in mind by having the FWC on my K5 is being able to take off quickly for a weekend run to the mountains nearby. I can say now that idea is a reality. I fixed the broken u-joint by getting a used assembly from the local boneyard. I did load a fresh spicer joint into it before installing it though.

I had an invite from a couple of the guys out of Denver to go run Red Cone pass outside of Fairplay last weekend. Checking with the wife, she was ok with it and I convinced my buddy Bill from the desert trip to come along with me in his Tacoma. He's always game for an adventure anyway. I had to work Saturday morning but loaded the cooler, my duffel bag and tools into the camper before heading to work. Bill met me at 1:00 and I stopped to get some suds and we needed something to cook for dinner.

Pulling out of Canon City we started heading north on highway 9. Getting closer to Hartsel at Hwy 24 we could see smoke clearly coming from the west. Lots of smoke. I had read reports of yet another wild fire on Weston pass near where we were going, but in the morning the fire was still small. As the day went on it had to explode to out of control proportions. But still on hwy 9 now north of Hartsel we can see the plume clearly out the side windows.

It's a sad reality with low snowpack last winter and an extremely hot spring/early summer our state is drier than a popcorn fart earlier than usual. Stage 2 fire bans cover most forests/counties in the state too. So pics like this are sadly normal:
IMGP0004 by Rob Zulian, on Flickr

The area north is clear of smoke, so I know it's going to be ok.
IMGP0006 by Rob Zulian, on Flickr

Looking up the Valley to the target area. Beautiful.
IMGP0008 by Rob Zulian, on Flickr

There are two campgrounds at the beginning of the Red Cone trail, but pulling in at 3:30 in the afternoon pretty much guaranteed they were full. Not discouraged Bill and I decide to start up the trail and look for some dispersed spots. We get up to the actual start of Red Cone and Webster passes and decide to head up Webster as the slope was easier as it continues up the valley vs Red cone climbing right up from there. Sure enough about a 1/2 mile from the start we find a nice spot that was fairly flat to level our rides and allow Bill to manuver with his wheelchair.
IMGP0010 by Rob Zulian, on Flickr

IMGP0012 by Rob Zulian, on Flickr

Bill cooked an excellent meal for us, we hung out and talked until well after dark. Temps dropping we decide to turn into to our respective abodes. I'll admit I had not completed the wiring for the furnace/t-stat, so I was going without. Still with the right bag it was ok.

The next morning we cook up a good breakfast, break camp and head back down to the trailhead for the other guys to meet up. We went ahead and dropped the pressure in our tires, scouted the trail in my trail book and called out on the CB I told the guys we would be on to catch them on the way in. An hour into this wait we've seen more people start the trail and it's getting busy. One way to run is to go over Red cone and then come back via Webster pass as Red Cone drops you right onto the summit of Webster. All trail signage indicated Webster was still closed, so that will for us to go the long way around to get home. Still not seeing or hearing anything and then doing the quick math on how long the trail is going to take, plus the long way around it's going to be a long day and we needed to get moving.

Heading up the trail looking back down the valley.
IMGP0002 (2) by Rob Zulian, on Flickr

First serious rocks. Fun stuff.
IMGP0004 (2) by Rob Zulian, on Flickr

The lower section of the trail has some good rocks to challenge your truck. Then the trees get tight. Really tight. Turns with trees on the inside of the corner and ruts/rocks on the opposite side that did really good at tossing the roof right at the tree. I was extremely careful and managed to not touch at any time. But once the trees open up you can get a gauge of how much you climbed to get here.
IMGP0010 (2) by Rob Zulian, on Flickr

The trail shoots up above timberline.
IMGP0012 (2) by Rob Zulian, on Flickr

Views are spectactular up here. This is what I love about doing this, getting to see great views and challenging myself and my truck to do stuff like this.
IMGP0013 (2) by Rob Zulian, on Flickr

The trail itself just goes straight up. No switchbacks. Just up. The dots you see are Jeeps that passed us earlier in the trees.
IMGP0014 by Rob Zulian, on Flickr

Continuing up the trail, the peak of Red Cone is clearly visible. it don't get any easier either.
IMGP0017 by Rob Zulian, on Flickr

IMGP0018 by Rob Zulian, on Flickr

Bill making his way up. I have to say, the Taco is a very capable rig in stock form. It's fun to see the difference in how our rides react to the terrain. He's got all the techno-gadget traction and stability and mine is lacking anything but a Tru-trac up front.
IMGP0024 by Rob Zulian, on Flickr

Photos really don't do the view justice. 360 degrees of awesome.
IMGP0028 by Rob Zulian, on Flickr

Photos don't really show the drop really well. This is outside my window. That's a long way down.
IMGP0031 by Rob Zulian, on Flickr

One of the unique aspects of this trail is that by running up the ridgeline you have drops on both sides. Those not good with heights might not be right for this trail.
IMGP0033 by Rob Zulian, on Flickr

At the summit. 12,801ft above sea level. Stunning.
IMGP0034 by Rob Zulian, on Flickr

IMGP0035 by Rob Zulian, on Flickr

The hardest part of the entire trail is the ride down to Webster pass. I didn't take any shots as I had my hands and feet full here. There are no switchbacks again, just straight down 3 distinct sections. The slope is steep enough I've got my seatbelt locked and I'm leaning into it holding myself up from gravity pulling me under the dash. At one point I'm on the last section and the trail is rutted out with holes big enough for my 35's to sink into but unevenly. I'm standing on the brake pedal with both feet and my truck is still inching down slipping on the loose slope. I think the only other thing holding me in is sucking up the seat upholstery from my butt clinching tight.
IMGP0037 by Rob Zulian, on Flickr

For only coming down 700 verticle feet it was probably the steepest downhill I've ever completed off road. Scary but fun. I do see hydroboost in my future for sure.
IMGP0043 by Rob Zulian, on Flickr

Again, this view is not really showing the angle of how steep this came down.
IMGP0045 by Rob Zulian, on Flickr

Having had our fill of extreme trail's for the day, Bill and I decide after consulting my trail book to take the long way around on a couple of easy trails that would dump us out back on Hwy 9 in Breckenridge. That would take us well up this valley.
IMGP0047 by Rob Zulian, on Flickr

We stop after crossing a creek for a quick lunch of cold fried chicken. While relaxing the gaggle of Jeeps that had passed us before, came to the same creek crossing after they stopped for lunch. One of the group stopped in is Cherokee to compliment how he loved my Blazer and camper combo. He hadn't seen anything like it back home. The jeep had Massachusetts plates. Pretty cool.
IMGP0049 by Rob Zulian, on Flickr

The next trail climbed back up above timberline with more great views.
IMGP0057 by Rob Zulian, on Flickr

Climbing up and back over again we ended up coming up to an old log cabin on the trail for the Middle fork of the Swan river.
IMGP0063 by Rob Zulian, on Flickr

It was a long day in the saddle for sure. We hit hwy 9 and boogied back home before dark. It was a quick trip, but being able to just load and go was awesome. Getting to park and be setup in a few minutes is great too.

Nice write up and great photos, beautiful country.
I use to spend summers 4 wheeling and fishing the high lakes around St. Elmo and Tin Cup pass.
Thanks for sharing.

EDR said:
Nice write up and great photos, beautiful country.
I use to spend summers 4 wheeling and fishing the high lakes around St. Elmo and Tin Cup pass.
Thanks for sharing.
Tin Cup and St. Elmo areas are favorites of ours as they are close by. Mt. Antero, Grizzly Lake, Baldwin lake, Hancock Lake and Pass and Tomichi Pass have all been well covered by our little group. To the north more favorites are Taylor pass, Reno Creek/Italian Divide and Pearl Pass.

This was the first time we've explored outside of our normal zone. I have to say it was fun to explore new areas. The only drawback is the closer proximity to Denver and the amount of trail traffic that brings. Still, outside of the large group of jeeps stopping to adjust their flags for a photo op, most had pretty good trail manners and it was cool to meet others with similar interests.

Mighty Dodge Ram said:
I remain impressed with your rig...capable and comfortable. And Bill’s nearly stock Tacoma is a real mountain goat for sure. I need to explore more of Colorado.
-Richard
Thanks Richard. The K5 is really close to where I want it to be for sure. Bill's Tacoma got tested for sure. He ran out of flex and tire in a couple of spots, but the electro-nannies started cycling the abs and redirecting power where he needed. Pretty cool to watch.

I know another couple of guys that would be willing to explore with you if you came out to our neck of the woods.

Back
Top Bottom