Four Wheel Blazer Pop-up, Finally found one

Parts Mike or ORD for the anticipated 1t steering upgrades?
Surprised no TAD's on routes like that. I know what a skilled driver can do. I also know just how much easier it is to have the right equipment.

CougarCouple said:
Nice Zoomad
Looking like some fun times. Sometimes we don't have everything we wanted, but I bet you still had a great time!

Russ
The more I use it the more I tweak the load so I mostly have what I need. We had a ball. That trail is fun and I'm sure the 30 jeeps and 10 Toyotas we passed thought we were nuts taking two fullsize (aka Foolsize) trucks loaded with campers up the same trail.

Mighty Dodge Ram said:
Hey Rob. Looks like you boys had a good time. The Silvy would’ve been too long but the MDR would have been right at home.
Cheers...Richard ✌
You know us, we aim to have a good time broken or not.

Andy Douglass said:
I love seeing trips in CO mining country. Can't wait to go check that area out someday.
It's pretty cool. At the top of the Wheeler lake trail there was two mines within a short hike from where we camped. The closer one had a mineshaft you could walk into at least 20 feet. It's highly recommended not to as they are horribly unstable. The other one had the remains of a 1930's era truck that had been altered to be used as a power source to drive a belt off of one of the rear wheels. All that was left was the frame, block and fenders.

Coming over Mosquito pass my Gaia map software was dotted with mine icons. That area is covered in claims. On the western side of the pass where we camped you could see a dozen on the map.

ntsqd said:
Parts Mike or ORD for the anticipated 1t steering upgrades?
Surprised no TAD's on routes like that. I know what a skilled driver can do. I also know just how much easier it is to have the right equipment.
Larry will probably go with a better than stock tie rod, but I don't expect him to go crossover/highsteer.

I might have missed something, what's a "TAD"?

Here's a video I put together of the run.

I agree, the minimal difference in height of high-steer vs. OEM for the cost involved seems silly in this application. A larger OD, DOM tube with the 1 ton TRE's in the stock location would be my choice.
My Subs never had a problem with the push-pull drag-link - even with the relatively soft "Pre-Runner" springs under the front, unlike my '84 yota which desperately needed cross-over with the OME springs (about 3" or less of lift) and was a major engineering & fab effort to make work.

"Traction Adding Differential", ARB, Detroit, Tru-Trac, etc.

MotoDave & I got the same reaction from a Taco and a YJ driver when we drove our truck/campers up Wyman Cyn. They couldn't believe we were driving 'mobile houses' up that road. Except for where they made it narrow in trying to get past them I didn't think it was a big deal.

I believe Larry has a TruTrac up front with a “Detroit” out back. Rob, please correct me as I’m frequently confused. Having travelled with both rigs I can attest to their capability. I’ve forgotten what diffs you run Rob.

TAD,. Makes sense. As it stands, I'm running a Tru-Trac up front, open out back. Larry has an arb in the rear and one waiting to be installed in his front. By buddy John's Jeep is running arb's on both ends.

That's what I like about running these trucks, normal off road types don't expect trucks like this. It's fun.

FWIW I had a Detroit in the rear of both Subs (same 14bff axle under both) and another in the yota. Hated it in the yota except when actually in the dirt. Never noticed it in the Subs. From that experience I think in anything lighter or shorter wheelbase than the Sub's 130" I'd go ARB.I did so on the '88 4rnnr

I think the next major modification I need to do is gearing. I'm down on power due to the added heft and reduced aero on the highway. While I'm there I may add a Detroit to the rear axle. Larry's was pretty unstoppable when he had the tru-trac/Detroit combo. The only problem was the way it behaved on the highway. Depending on if you were on the throttle even slightly the Detroit locks up and causes a little wiggle from the rear. Let off the throttle to coast and it wiggles the other way. Hard to explain but I know it annoyed him. We think part of the reason it annoyed him was amplified by the manual trans as it would unlock with the clutch depressed and lock back up with the clutch released. We both think with an automatic the torque-steer tendency might be reduced.

Ideally,, I'd put in an ARB and be done with it, but that just isn't in the cards with my budget.

Back to the subject of the camper. I'm pretty happy with the first season of use. There is room for improvement in the bench and mattress for sure. The lower bench is simply too narrow to sleep on for me. It needs to be secured better. Ideas are being kicked around right now. I've got a bunch of memory foam to redo the mattress. Add an extra wing that folds out to extend the sleeping platform and it should work pretty good.

In my past truck, 83 Toyota long bed, I put a Detroit soft locker in the rear. My experience was nuckle bitting terror a few times. Tight narrow cliff road when the rear it wanted to crab over the edge. And down hill curvey road on ice and snow, bad effects. Went to a ARB and allowed to be unlocked in those situations so the rear just tracked around the curve. For me being open at times was safer.

While both Subs's were autos and the Xcab was a manual I don't think the manual was much of an influence in the poor behavior of the Detroit in the yota. Partly because I learned to only shift under extreme duress when in dicey situations. Or even just going around a clover-leaf on-ramp. I also found that once locked up and in a bind that shifting didn't cause it to unlock. I also learned to clutch it when I didn't want it to lock up and had the vehicle speed to get past what ever the spot was. It is only on reflection that I realize that I was doing these things, they weren't conscious decisions.

FWIW I'm shifting the 4rnnr's ARB's with regulated air from the OBA using pneumatic toggle switches. No electrical beyond what it takes to get the compressed air (Puma compressor & tank hidden under the truck).

As I mentioned in that thread, I find it interesting that it has the tall air filter lid that I've only ever seen OEM on 6.2L diesels and 1ton BBC's. I added one to my '91 V1500 5.7L Sub and to my '73 350/350 SBSS C10 so that I could use the bigger air filter on both of them. Has me wondering what other subtle tricks might have been done to that rig.

Hum, for being a self-professed Ford guy I sure seem to have/had a lot of Chevy's........ ;)

Nothing really earth shattering going on with the K5camper other than driving it. I need to fix the propane cabinet lock and get some better locks for the interior cabinets as they pop loose and open off road pretty easy. Work has me leaving in the dark and coming home in the dark so time to work gets relegated to weekends.

I need to redo the bench to be more sturdy and access to storage. I need to decide to redo the mattress and cushions or just plan on sticking with my Klymitt sleeping pads.

In the meantime I'm on the hunt for a shot in the power production department. The 5.3 has done me well but between the weight and the wind drag I need more torque down low. So the search is on for an L29 Vortec 454. If an 8.1 happens to be found for the right price I'd go for it. The L29 is more common though and with the world swapping LS engines into everything, the L29's are getting overlooked and undervalued. Once the doner is found we'll be spending some time in the Bigassgas Garage with some swap action this winter. Besides, I'll be able to fund a good chunk of this with selling the 5.3 complete for somebody looking to do the swap.

But I can look back on the trips I've made with the truck/camper combo and say it was a success. Sure I've got a few things to tweak, but all in all it's working quite well. A week in the desert for it's maiden voyage proved it's worth.

IMGP0023 by Rob Zulian, on Flickr

IMGP0044 by Rob Zulian, on Flickr

I completed 4 separate mountain runs in Colorado with no major issues and crossed the top of multiple off road passes and trails.

Red Cone/Webster Pass
Middle Fork of the Swan river
Pomeroy Lake x2
Hancock Lake and Pass x2
Cumberland Pass
Tin Cup Pass
Mosquito Pass
Wheeler Lake

Red Cone:
IMGP0022 by Rob Zulian, on Flickr

Hancock Pass:
IMGP0005 (2) by Rob Zulian, on Flickr

Tin Cup Pass:
IMGP0027 (2) by Rob Zulian, on Flickr

Wheeler Lake:
IMGP0013 by Rob Zulian, on Flickr

Mosquito Pass:
Wheeler lake and Mosquito pass trail run 2018 by Rob Zulian, on Flickr

2nd time on Pomeroy:
Pomeroy lake trail and Hancock pass by Rob Zulian, on Flickr

I can say it's been a blast to be able to go off road and camp so easily. I'm so happy I was able to find one for my truck and that I used it to it's fullest this year. Looking forward to many more trips in the future. I am totally appreciative of the help I've gained directly from this group and indirectly by other builds that I've gained ideas and insight from on this site.

Now if I could squeeze in one more run before full blown winter sets in that would be excellent. Not sure if I have the time though..

Hay there zoomad
Some really nice photos there also the link ones. Wife and I were fortunate enough to visit your neck of the woods in August. Did the Animas Forks trail from Silverton end in the F250 that was cool. Spent some time relaxing in Ouray also. Will continue to follow your journey.
Be careful with the power, should probably go with 60’s front and rear cause you’re gunna find the weak link.

Russ

CougarCouple said:
Hay there zoomad
Some really nice photos there also the link ones. Wife and I were fortunate enough to visit your neck of the woods in August. Did the Animas Forks trail from Silverton end in the F250 that was cool. Spent some time relaxing in Ouray also. Will continue to follow your journey.
Be careful with the power, should probably go with 60’s front and rear cause you’re gunna find the weak link.

Russ
That area is one I've only driven through on the way to other places. I'm looking forward to explore that area next year.

As far as the power is concerned, I've already found the weak link in the Dana 44 with the piddly little 5.3. Unless a Dana 60 falls in my lap for cheap the 44 is staying put. My buddy Larry wheeled the Blue K10 with a 454 and later 8.1 for years running a similar D44 axle up front. Driving smart and using a little more finesse and less of a hammer down technique allowed his to last a good long time before swapping to a D60. Even then the D44 he had was re-used in his 8.1L powered 88 Suburban. Still surviving.

I've got to perform a little maintenance too. I've got a u-joint cap creeping out of a yoke on the passenger side which is exactly what caused my problem on the last failure to the other side. Chrome-moly shafts are the solution. Throwing a locker in the rear 14 bolt full floater would take some of the load off the front.

I hear ya! I guess all you can do is keep an eye open, eventually won't will pop. Didn't know you had a corporate in the rear. I like to get out of Vegas in August so would like to go back to San Juans then. If we're there around the same time would like to meet.

Russ

It that 14bff is an open now then a Detroit is simple, easy, and the least expensive option. You probably already knew that. I had one in my Subs (same axle under both) and loved it in that 130" WB. Had one in my 112" WB Yota Xcab and didn't care for it on the pavement, loved it in the dirt. I've seen them be totally docile in SWB rigs and I've seen them be cantankerous ogres in SWB rigs, all of them the supposed "Soft Locker". I dunno what to think.

CougarCouple said:
I hear ya! I guess all you can do is keep an eye open, eventually won't will pop. Didn't know you had a corporate in the rear. I like to get out of Vegas in August so would like to go back to San Juans then. If we're there around the same time would like to meet.

Russ
I wheeled too long with a 12bolt semi floater having the fear of a snapped shaft kill the fun. A 14 bolt is the only way to go for peace of mind off-road. Keep me in the loop when you are going to be out this way. We'll see if I can time a run down to the San Juans then too.

ntsqd said:
It that 14bff is an open now then a Detroit is simple, easy, and the least expensive option. You probably already knew that. I had one in my Subs (same axle under both) and loved it in that 130" WB. Had one in my 112" WB Yota Xcab and didn't care for it on the pavement, loved it in the dirt. I've seen them be totally docile in SWB rigs and I've seen them be cantankerous ogres in SWB rigs, all of them the supposed "Soft Locker". I dunno what to think.
Yep, it's an open carrier. A Detroit is the most cost effective way to lock up the rear. It may happen. The 454 idea is gaining steam though as I've located one and am waiting for the seller to get back into town.

Meanwhile on Craigslist... https://denver.craigslist.org/cto/d/1991-chevy-blazer-k5-with/6742752230.html

Another 91 Blazer/FWC combo but powered by a 5.9L 12 valve cummins. $20k asking price though.

Back
Top Bottom