Four wheel camper in bear country

ski3pin said:
I believe Craig would answer with this..........................................

http://www.wild-ideas.net/
We bought two different sizes many years ago when they were a new company. Still use them and have been pleased over the years. We like the wide mouth opening. They are not just for bears, they give you peace that all the other small animals around camp can't get at your food. These comments are referring to back packing.

Interesting how long this topic has been discussed. I am officially an "old timer" [in many ways... :D ]; so I am amused at the variety and range of the proposed answers to a mostly non-problem.

Backpacking? I personally feel being forced [or you can get a ticket for violating this 'law'] into carrying a "bear proof container" in specified areas when you are carrying everything on your back is absurd. How did we all survive for all these years without such a nanny state mandate? Oh, yes, it is for the good of the bears, I forgot. There is always a rationale that can't be tested but sells products or forces compliance.

As for taking our FWC campers into the 'wild', damn Hoss, that is why it is named "The Wild". Deal with the variables and risks or stay home in the driveway, assuming it is in an urban environment.

Parting shot. "Trust me I am an expert; I am with the government; I am with a company that sells protection, buy our product".

Life is short, don't waste it worrying or listening to self-proclaimed pundits. :)

Including me, cuz I could be wrong.

Phil

That's too funny. Porcupines and tires.... you may have discovered how we can eliminate the used tire problem in this country..

Porkies do seem to love tires... or used to...I was told it was the latex.... I also had one chew up a new Adirondack chair I had just painted with... latex paint. hummmm.

According to Wikipedia (wild) bears have killed approximately 31 people in the lower 48 from 1950 to the present. The vast majority occurring in Glacier and Yellowstone NPs. Compared to over 30 homicides per year in Sacramento County near where I live I'll take my chances in the wilderness any day. In 40 years of backpacking I've seen maybe 3 black bears. I've never carried a weapon or even bear spray on my backcountry trips which are usually 3-5 days. Camping in National Parks are where I usually experience bears searching for food in the campsites. On a couple of occasions I have had to bang pots together and make a lot of noise to chase the bears off - yes, it does work!! I do use a bear cannister where required, usually on the JMT and parts of Sequoia NP. It's a pain to carry but it's somewhat liberating to not have to hang my food or shove it into a crevice. On my one trip to Yellowstone my wife and I were armed with Bear spray which we didn't get to try out. Last year we spent a week in Alaska and only saw some brown bears well away from us. My nephew has lived in Alaska for 40 years and has never felt the need to carry a gun, bear spray, or even the bear bells that are sold just about everywhere. It's funny that most of my non-camping friends always ask " aren't you afraid of bears"? My standard response is "aren't you afraid to go to Los Angeles or San Francisco"!!

Vic Harder said:
i hear peeing on your tires can help repel porcupines any truth to that?
I always pee around my rig when I go backpacking. So far it's kept the bears and porcupines away!!

Ronin said:
I always pee around my rig when I go backpacking. So far it's kept the bears and porcupines away!!
Farley Mowat must be a friend or mentor. See "Never Cry Wolf"
How many cups of tea does it require for good efficiency? ;)

Paul

Maybe it's just that I'm not structured for peeing around my camper, and am a bad sport, but I gottoo say that porcupines EAT privies. I met a guy in Banff, once, who worked repairing porcupine-gnawed biffies (it was Canada, eh) who said he thought they were drawn to the minerals in urine. I'm attaching a photo of a porcupine-proofed biffy by Agnes Lake in Banff.

15120713133_33ec536349_m.jpg

Years ago we replaced all the plywood cross country ski trail signs at Echo Summit. They were high up in trees and for some reason the porcupines loved the glue that was used in that batch of plywood and chewed the signs up. I have a few of them here at home still, the ones that were still readable. Now, around here, there is concern about dropping porcupine populations and we were asked to report sightings.

We love to run into the critters, so interesting and amazing. :)

...Metal Bear boxes work when they are used correctly. For refrigerated items keep your camper clean and the Fridge closed. Better yet use an ice chest and put your cold food in it then put the ice chest in a Bear box. ...

This is just the information I've been looking for, regarding fridges. My thinking was that they have a pretty good air seal, which might decrease odor intensity to the level of "there was food here once, but maybe not now." Also, we intend to keep the vast majority of our food prep, cooking, and eating outside the camper.

Could you verify my understanding of what you wrote?... i.e.:

Most of the time, keeping food in a closed refrigerator, in a closed and clean camper is not problematic. In an area with a lot of human-habituated bears (e.g. Yellowstone or Yosemite) it is probably a good idea to remove food from the fridge to a bear resistant container outside the camper and vehicle. Yes?

Thanks in advance.

Wow...lots of legs on this topic! I must modify my previous post. Only firearm I carry in the Hawk if I am in bear country, that actually has bears, is my 12ga pump shotgun...

Several years ago I got the Canadian permit needed to enter and carry the shotgun [Winchester Marine] going into and across BC...spring when sows have cubs..my biggest concern, not fear, was being trapped in the Hawk by an aggressive bear and having no way to escape. Candidly escaping out of the Hawk might just mean going from the frying pan into the fire.

Last thing I wish to do is kill a bear and at anytime that would only occur as a last resort. Solo sea kayaked from Juneau to Petersburg and carrying that shotgun; it was kept in my tent at night. Coastal Brown Bear country and they are Griz on steroids; no problems and only one bear seen in 3 weeks going through prime habitat. Most bear stories are, well, inflated at best. Just my way of doing things and I could be wrong. :cool:

Wallowa said:
Wow...lots of legs on this topic! I must modify my previous post. Only firearm I carry in the Hawk if I am in bear country, that actually has bears, is my 12ga pump shotgun...

Several years ago I got the Canadian permit needed to enter and carry the shotgun [Winchester Marine] going into and across BC...spring when sows have cubs..my biggest concern, not fear, was being trapped in the Hawk by an aggressive bear and having no way to escape. Candidly escaping out of the Hawk might just mean going from the frying pan into the fire.

Last thing I wish to do is kill a bear and at anytime that would only occur as a last resort. Solo sea kayaked from Juneau to Petersburg and carrying that shotgun; it was kept in my tent at night. Coastal Brown Bear country and they are Griz on steroids; no problems and only one bear seen in 3 weeks going through prime habitat. Most bear stories are, well, inflated at best. Just my way of doing things and I could be wrong. :cool:
Modified 12ga and a 45 or the 357 come along every trip. And yes, all registered and all the right paperwork to carry, even CCW. I always follow the laws of each state I travel through. Never had to use them on a bear, but I'm with you, I don't want to be stuck with no way out.

The bear topic is coming up a lot. My daughter had her Hawk closed up (essentially hard sided) on the street in Humboldt a couple weeks ago. A bear opened the back door and ripped a cabinet off the wall for a small ziplock of dog food. If the bear wants it, it's theirs. Bear boxes are great when available. We have had good luck ( knock on wood) with food and trash in a sealed container and covered out of sight in the cab of the truck. Always feel we are rolling the dice though. If area is crawling with bear, we hang everything (lots of controversy on that topic) away from the camper. The best thing is that it seems there is always another camper that is not taking the proper precautions and the bears seem to go for the low hanging fruit. Areas we camp and are the only campers, we are so remote that the bears don't associate humans with food because the encounters are so infrequent.

Ditto Capt Davenport. We’re usually not camping in areas where bears have learned to associate humans with food. Thinking about exploring some such areas, I’m increasingly leaning towards a portable electric fence. The price is comparable to a bear resistant container and it’ll protect a perimeter around the truck/camper. The downside is setup time, which I’m guessing to be around half an hour. I don’t see this as a substitute for a clean camp and hidden bear resistant food storage, but rather as a supplement.

Don't think you will need it if prudent. We carried a marine air horn and 2 marine flares... shoot 20 feet ... this by advice from nephew who lives in AK. 6 weeks there and no real issues.

The problem with all defensive measures is you don't know if they work until you are attacked.

When camping I have within reach: boat horn, bear spray, .44 mag revolver. I've found that they are handy for more than just hungry bears.

Flares aren't a good idea during fire bans.

Cpt Davenport said:
Modified 12ga and a 45 or the 357 come along every trip. And yes, all registered and all the right paperwork to carry, even CCW. I always follow the laws of each state I travel through. Never had to use them on a bear, but I'm with you, I don't want to be stuck with no way out.

The bear topic is coming up a lot. My daughter had her Hawk closed up (essentially hard sided) on the street in Humboldt a couple weeks ago. A bear opened the back door and ripped a cabinet off the wall for a small ziplock of dog food. If the bear wants it, it's theirs. Bear boxes are great when available. We have had good luck ( knock on wood) with food and trash in a sealed container and covered out of sight in the cab of the truck. Always feel we are rolling the dice though. If area is crawling with bear, we hang everything (lots of controversy on that topic) away from the camper. The best thing is that it seems there is always another camper that is not taking the proper precautions and the bears seem to go for the low hanging fruit. Areas we camp and are the only campers, we are so remote that the bears don't associate humans with food because the encounters are so infrequent.
Sounds like she needs a "bear unwelcome mat." Come in nail or electrical varieties. Only seen them at buildings in CO, though, but here's the CO Wildlife's guide with instructions: https://www.bearsmart.com/docs/unwelcome-mats.pdf

Of course I'd forget while going outside at night for a pee break :(

Bear spray hasn't been dethroned as the most effective deterrent, but we might rent bear fences if in territory again where they're handy. Work well for rafting; we've used them on the Rogue where the BLM has them set up. The IGBC has a list of recommended ones: https://igbconline.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/03/230515_Certified_Products_List.pdf

Those don't appear to be simple electric fences. 7 wires? 12" apart? max fence length of 60'? (Not sure I get that one, 'cause 60' is only a 15' square box... not big enough for my rig...

Vic Harder said:
Those don't appear to be simple electric fences. 7 wires? 12" apart? max fence length of 60'? (Not sure I get that one, 'cause 60' is only a 15' square box... not big enough for my rig...
This is one of the ones referenced; it's 27' by 27' and probably similar to one we used around a raft. https://www.udap.com/mm5/product/BEF But yeah, it's kind of hard to tell if they mean 27sqft or 27 x 27 feet on the website, but this most basic kit is that size. It would contain my truck should I use one. Reviews on Amazon say the poles are kind of wimpy, but this is their lightest unit. Basically fiberglass tent poles. There's a set up video here: https://youtu.be/fLnKBWqPcVI?si=wrkto6N6ngOLLVv4

Fortunately I didn't have to do the setup :) A bit complex.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom