Free Camping Forest Hill, CA

LT Traveler

Hi all. We're looking to get out of Tahoe today and head down to Forest Hill/Auburn area and ride mountain bikes for a couple of days. Anyone have any suggestions on free places to camp? Thanks!

Isn't most of it TNF? That's open, if you can get to it.

I assume you are coming down 80 from Tahoe? You can get off at Colfax and take Iowa Hill Rd. down to the N. Fork of the American. I believe there's a campground there, but don't know status. Yankee Jim is another interesting crossing of the N. Fork, which you can catch just west of Colfax. Cool suspension bridge.

I've heard there's excellent MTB at Sugar Pine Reservoir, which is also used by the moto crowd. Haven't been there, but my buddies used to ride up there on the trails around the lake.

Sugar Pine campgrounds are closed, was just there last week. There are a lot of places you can camp along Mosquito Ridge road. You enter the US Forest after you cross the middle fork of the Middle Fork of the American River. Check it out, nice area. Not sure how far out you can drive due to snow, I have not been out Mosquito Road for about a month now.

Take the Foresthill exit outside of Auburn, drive into Foresthill and make a right turn onto Mosquito Road, just across from the Post Office.

Back
Top Bottom