Free Photo Storage -Amazon Prime

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human
Site Team
RV LIFE Pro
Is anyone using Amazon Prime for photo storage? If you are/have, what’s your opinion?

This looks like it might be a good deal.

3F7CCC27-7C5B-479D-A98F-09A8418F8FD1.jpeg

I use prime storage, mostly as a cloud storage for my RAW (NEF) files. I have a SmugMug account that allows unlimited .JPG storage.

The Amazon storage seems to work fine and I have it set to automatically backup the folders wherwe I download my cards to so there isn't really any thought required, biggest issue was that when I first set it up I used the entire monthly allotment of bandwidth uploading files and had to pay some overage charges to Cox but nothing since that first month.

Cayuse said:
I use prime storage, mostly as a cloud storage for my RAW (NEF) files. I have a SmugMug account that allows unlimited .JPG storage.

The Amazon storage seems to work fine and I have it set to automatically backup the folders wherwe I download my cards to so there isn't really any thought required, biggest issue was that when I first set it up I used the entire monthly allotment of bandwidth uploading files and had to pay some overage charges to Cox but nothing since that first month.
That is what I would like to do as well. Can you provide some specifics on your platform, and how you are uploading? Or if there’s a prime link to those details, would you share...

Not being a being tech person I'll try.
If you have a Nikon with Wi Fi or another brand of digital camera.
With Nikon they have an app called "snap bridge".
Just down load it to your phone and follow the directions.
It's fairly simple.I really haven't used it that much.But works fine.
It stores the photos or you down load them to your phone.
That's about the extent of my knowledge. Hope that helps.
Frank

Frank, I appreciate the ideas, but I don’t think they're going to work for me. I have many multiple thousands of RAW images stored on large external hard drives. I’m looking for a direct method to transfer from my iMac and drives to the Prime cloud. I suspect there is one, but I want to get the details of how it works.

Smugmug...

Chris MacAskill, @Baldy and owner of AdvRider web site and forum, started Smugmug with his son.

Both are good platforms for photographers and outdoor enthusiasts.

Chris also has a very nice web site, launched, but a "still a work in progress" for photography enthusiasts.

I have been pleased with Smugmug storage plans for my RAW/DNG images. I use cloud storage only for the very special images I've culled and don't want to lose if something bad happens to my backup SSDs.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
That is what I would like to do as well. Can you provide some specifics on your platform, and how you are uploading? Or if there’s a prime link to those details, would you share...

In a nutshell I only shoot RAW photos and download all of them to a NAS device that is being watched by Amazon photos. Whenever I add a new folder or photos to the watched directory on the NAS drive it uploads them to Amazon and maintains the directory sturcture, I try to name my directories by location and date for the NEF files, when I upload to SmugMug galleries they might get sorted a bit different but I try to include the date in the gallery name there as well.

Hope that helps.

wish I did! an best part is they have a sharing sections so my kids could view all my travel pictures! but I don't have prime

Cayuse said:
In a nutshell I only shoot RAW photos and download all of them to a NAS device that is being watched by Amazon photos. Whenever I add a new folder or photos to the watched directory on the NAS drive it uploads them to Amazon and maintains the directory sturcture, I try to name my directories by location and date for the NEF files, when I upload to SmugMug galleries they might get sorted a bit different but I try to include the date in the gallery name there as well.

Hope that helps.
Looks like I will need to incorporate a NAS device.

Thank you!

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Looks like I will need to incorporate a NAS device.

Thank you!
You don't have to, you can configure the Amazon Photos app to watch any folders including your My Pictures on a Windows machine or another, I just have it setup that way to handle the volume of photos and to be able to access photos from multiple computers in the house.

SmugMug user here too, but it's limited to full rez jpegs. I'm not aware of their storage plan for RAW files. That would require some massive uploads with 20-40 MP files off my Sony bodies.

At home I'm like most of you with external HD storage, which I duplicate and rotate to my office. Time Machine saved me recently when a sudden power outage corrupted one of my drives. TM runs in the background on my iMac.

Lighthawk said:
SmugMug user here too, but it's limited to full rez jpegs. I'm not aware of their storage plan for RAW files. That would require some massive uploads with 20-40 MP files off my Sony bodies.
I had contacted SmugMug support at one point to ask about RAW file storage as Google searches indicated it was available at one time for an additional fee but they've discontinued it. The unlimited RAW storage with Amazon Prime works for backups but can't be used for commercial uses just backups.

Back
Top Bottom