Freeze Dried Foods & Recipies

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human
Site Team
RV LIFE Pro
Is anyone out there making up meals out of bulk freeze dried foods? My daughter stumbled on a company (Thrive Life) that makes some really tasty freeze dried products. I never thought I would like FD broccoli or corn, but it's even good for a snack when dry. I am thinking about getting a few veggies and meats to mix up with spices in baggies for meals on the go, and maybe some of the fruits (fuji apples) for deserts.

Anyone out there doing this? Want to share recipies?

Here's a link to Thrive: http://www.thrivelife.com/foodstorage

Steve

Thanks Steve.I will look into this product line as we like simple meals when time is an issue.Also the weight and storage of the products work nicely with our camping needs.
Frank

Wasn't aware of this company, but there are lots of others, like the big one Honeyville Farms, which has great recipies by an in house Chef who blogs online. If you live in Southern California, Phoenix or Salt Lake there are Honeyville Farms brick and mortar stores where you can actually go buy the food. They cater to mostly to the prepper and the Mormon crowd, as the Mo-Mo's are required to keep a years worth of food storage on hand. Cause the world IS ending, and El-Oheim (Heavenly Father) shall be most displeased if his son stops by and your war closets aren't filled to the rim. Here is the blog:

http://honeyvillefarms.blogspot.com/2012/09/chef-tess-5-personal-sized-meals-in-jar.html

I don't know why more people don't take advantage of dehydrated and freeze dried foods. Its food, with the water removed. Add the water back and honestly I can't tell the difference, but maybe my taste buds have been dulled. Negates the need for a fridge whilst in the outback. Most Americans and Europeans are spoiled little children and insist on cold and fresh everything, but, its really not essential.

imix said:
, as the Mo-Mo's are required to keep a years worth of food storage on hand. Cause the world IS ending, and El-Oheim (Heavenly Father) shall be most displeased if his son stops by and your war closets aren't filled to the rim. Here is the blog:
Storing all that food in case is great,but what if you aren't home when the big one hits?Just saying.At least we nons will know where to go for food.
Frank

Cari & I have about ~4 to 6 months worth of FD food-meals in our various rigs (if you recall we live full time in RVs). Anywhoo... i'm not concerned about the _End of the World_ happening, but the food is easy to prepare, tasty, and easy to store. We rotate through what we have and resupply whenever we see'm on sale.

Thanks for the links. Been lurking for a while. ATC Bobcat owner for almost six years -- lot's of fun. FD meals are the way to go -- supplemented by nice salads, veggies, fruits and cold beverages. Packaging of "wet" meals kills me and was the most significant source of non-recyclables.

UnaTerra said:
FD meals are the way to go -- supplemented by nice salads, veggies, fruits ................... Packaging of "wet" meals kills me and was the most significant source of non-recyclables.
Simple and good and really cuts down on weight and time for meal preparation. This is what we do.

Cooking and eating well is part of the experience. I could see doing freeze dried to cut down on the waste if I was going to in one place long enough.

I ate plenty of freeze dried when I was a backpacker. I even bought bulk from Alpineaire when we were climbing in Peru. Now that I have the luxury of a bed and a sink and stove and a fridge! I enjoy bringing fresh herbs and foods, cooking either al fresco (aka the BBQ) or inside.

We bring a middle sized grocery bag, cut short, using the cutoff as padding, to bring 8 oz mason jars with home-made marina sauce, hot sauces, marinated hot carrots and whatever else we've been cooking up. For us, cooking is part of the experience to be savored. That said, we still default to the standards: mexican night, italian night, salads, bread, etc.

Lighthawk said:
I ate plenty of freeze dried when I was a backpacker. I even bought bulk from Alpineaire when we were climbing in Peru. Now that I have the luxury of a bed and a sink and stove and a fridge! I enjoy bringing fresh herbs and foods, cooking either al fresco (aka the BBQ) or inside.

We bring a middle sized grocery bag, cut short, using the cutoff as padding, to bring 8 oz mason jars with home-made marina sauce, hot sauces, marinated hot carrots and whatever else we've been cooking up. For us, cooking is part of the experience to be savored. That said, we still default to the standards: mexican night, italian night, salads, bread, etc.
This matches our approach as well. We like cooking and eating outdoors and one of the big benefits of the camper for us was being able to have fresh produce, meat, fish, eggs, etc. We do prepare some things at home before we leave, especially rice for stir fry and home made bread for sandwiches.

Back
Top Bottom