Fridge Latch

Bill D

I'm having issues with my refrigerator opening when the door is loaded.
Not overloading it is not an option :)

What are you using to help keep the refrigerator door closed?

Either my factory latch is worn out from not being released 100% each time when opening the fridge or they simply don't work that well.

I have a 2013 Hawk with the 3.0 cu ft 3 way fridge.

I'm sure there have been a few clever mods. I'd like to see a few before I start drilling holes.

I was considering using velcro, but it will likely end up peeling off in no time being the surface of the fridge is textured.
I could use a combination of velcro and screws, but again, I'd like to see what others have done, before I create holes.

I had the same problem with the feeble Dometic "latch". I put a small eyebolt thru the wall next to the door, close to where the reefer hinges. Put another eyebolt thru the small strip of cabinet wood between the reefer and the heater, used big fender washers and nyloc nuts. Bought about a two foot strip of hook and pile 3/4" Velcro, fastened the end of each strip to each eyebolt with those small keychain-type carabiners. When you get ready to drive, just pull the strips tight against each other across the door of the fridge. It has held our door shut without fail for 3 years worth of rock and roll.

Piney,

Thanks for your solution description to what apparently is a problem for more than just my fridge. A photo or two showing the placement of eyebolts, fender washers etc. with velcro straps would be much appreciated as my fridge is on other side of camper from furnace.

Paul

Paul, I can drill holes and stitch Velcro, but can't figure out how to make the photo file size small enough to post on here. I could email a couple to ya.
Jim

It's the lift and pull to open system getting actuated by too many watered down beers in the fridge door. Instead of 12 bottles of Corona, try a 6 pack of a strong IPA in cans.

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

Fridge strap photos.

image.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom