Front Lift Failing

Barko1

My 96 Granby's front lift has pretty much self destructed, the screwheads have all pulled through the wood at the very top and is starting down below as well. Is this an item I can purchase or is some fabrication in my future? My just completed trip up Ophir and Stony Passes and some other fwd roads outside of Silverton, CO may have been the dagger in the heart. A few other bits loosened up or bounced around but the road (?) from Silverton over Stony Pass to Rio Grande Reservoir was a killer

My 96 Granby's front lift has pretty much self destructed, the screwheads have all pulled through the wood at the very top and is starting down below as well. Is this an item I can purchase or is some fabrication in my future? My just completed trip up Ophir and Stony Passes and some other fwd roads outside of Silverton, CO may have been the dagger in the heart. A few other bits loosened up or bounced around but the road (?) from Silverton over Stony Pass to Rio Grande Reservoir was a killer

I believe either ATC or FWC will make you a new piece to install. Not sure how hard getting the rivets out and installing a new one will be though.

I just did this job (front and back) on my '82 Grandby. It's not that hard to do. Just drill out the rivets (I used a 9/64 bit) and replaced with 5/32 rivets. Getting the upper spring flexed is the hardest part - that thing is under a LOT of tension and you have to flex it down to rivet it in. Use the 'wire' method developed by BenG (from a previous post -just search 'BenG' on this forum and you will find it). Works like a charm. I'll try to get some pics posted of my finished job soon. Look in either 'a little help' or 'replacement boards'.

Dave

I believe either ATC or FWC will make you a new piece to install. Not sure how hard getting the rivets out and installing a new one will be though.

Ok found that thread and I think there is another active thread on this issue but I didn't realize it was the same topic. Looks like that spring will be a pain but that I can use some 1/4 material to make new boards. And I am not fond of rivets )-: I'll put it off a month but will need to do something. Thanks

I'm in the middle of replacing the front lift boards on our fleet.Not a hard job so far, but what are these springs you talk about?Mine doesn't have any!

I'm in the middle of replacing the front lift boards on our fleet.Not a hard job so far, but what are these springs you talk about?Mine doesn't have any!

Spring loaded hinge.

Back
Top Bottom