Frozen porti-potty

Funstini

Advanced Member
I know this is a dirty little subject but who else to ask, right? Besides you guys always come up with some good advice ....... so here it go's.

I have a Keystone with an enclosed porti-potty. Last winter I had some freeze up problems with the unit, not so much the waste itself but the rinse. I can always just dump the sewage or take the canister out. But it's a hassle to drain the liquid rinse after every time I use it, which could be every other week. I could take the canister out and put a light bulb in the exterior compartment but I really don't want to have to do that, I besides if I'm out somewhere and it's really cold I'm taking a chance of it freezing. So what I was thinking, was maybe adding a little anti-freeze to the rinse water. So my question for you chemists is, will the anti-freeze in the water defeat the enzyme action of the sewage breakdown agent (or what ever it's called) and will I in turn have a nasty, smelly canister to clean out when I get home?

Thanks,

Funstini

I would think it would. Of course you could always go with another type of breakdown agent.

I used some of the pink stuff last winter and had no problems with smell or breakdown. I plan to do the same this winter.

I used some of the pink stuff last winter and had no problems with smell or breakdown. I plan to do the same this winter.

Guess I will give it a try. Sure would make life easier.

Thanks,

Funstini

I know this is a dirty little subject but who else to ask, right? Besides you guys always come up with some good advice ....... so here it go's.

I have a Keystone with an enclosed porti-potty. Last winter I had some freeze up problems with the unit, not so much the waste itself but the rinse. I can always just dump the sewage or take the canister out. But it's a hassle to drain the liquid rinse after every time I use it, which could be every other week. I could take the canister out and put a light bulb in the exterior compartment but I really don't want to have to do that, I besides if I'm out somewhere and it's really cold I'm taking a chance of it freezing. So what I was thinking, was maybe adding a little anti-freeze to the rinse water. So my question for you chemists is, will the anti-freeze in the water defeat the enzyme action of the sewage breakdown agent (or what ever it's called) and will I in turn have a nasty, smelly canister to clean out when I get home?

Thanks,

Funstini

We tried the pink stuff along with the normal break down pillows we add to liquefy the nasty stuff down at the Grand Canyon over the Thanksgiving break. Porta-potti was outside with overnight temps at 9 degrees. Nothing froze, and when we got home and emptied things out everything looked liquefied as normal. I guess we will add the pink whenever is will be cold out.
John

We've had good luck with the pink antifreeze also. Don't mix it with water. Use it instead of water.

Back
Top Bottom