Full time family ditches Airstream for a FWC.

malimish

Just wanted to introduce ourselves. We are a family of 5 with a cat. After 7 years of traveling via Airstream to 49 states, we've decided to ditch the trailer for a bit to explore other countries with a FWC Grandby front dinette in silver spur. In a couple weeks we will start our year in Baja for a few months then decide whether we'll keep going south or ship to Europe. I know this will sound crazy to some of you but we can do it! Happy to part of this awesome community.

ImageUploadedByWander The West1450204096.617067.jpgImageUploadedByWander The West1450204122.411442.jpg

malimish said:
Super excited for you guys! Been following your IG and Youtube for a while

Just wanted to introduce ourselves. We are a family of 5 with a cat. After 7 years of traveling via Airstream to 49 states, we've decided to ditch the trailer for a bit to explore other countries with a FWC Grandby front dinette in silver spur. In a couple weeks we will start our year in Baja for a few months then decide whether we'll keep going south or ship to Europe. I know this will sound crazy to some of you but we can do it! Happy to part of this awesome community.

attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByWander The West1450204096.617067.jpg
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByWander The West1450204122.411442.jpg

Congrats guys! The FWC is a great solution for this type of travel! Can't wait to see how you use it.

When I was a kid, 6 of us spent a week and half in a truck camper while on a road trip to Disneyland. We had a blast, but it was tight indeed. I don't remember being too cramped, I just remember the great time we had and I think your kids will probably remember the adventure most of all.

Congrats and safe travels...

Ditto's to Groovy Dad. When TMI (Three Mile Island) was announced [1979] 5 of us spent a week and a half in the back of a late 70's Ford [no camper] just a top -headed to Disney World FL. I don't remember being too cramped, I just remember the great time we had and your kids will remember. Couldn't imagine taking a cat...

have a great time

In late May of this year I was in Scotland for about a week on the Isle Of Skye. We traveled to there from Bristol. Enroute I observed numerous RVs, mainly small lightweight travel trailers and small motor homes. Quite often I thought to myself "what an adventure this could be with the Hawk". So shipping to Europe and traveling...would be epic.

George

Attachments

• RV.JPG
    RV.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 137
  • RV park.JPG
    RV park.JPG
    133.9 KB · Views: 137
  • Eilean Donan Castle.JPG
    Eilean Donan Castle.JPG
    177.2 KB · Views: 145
Be careful in Baja & mainland Mex. .... I heard its become a bit dangerous (more so than ever) lately.

Living vicariously through your travels.

oh man, those pics, my ancenstors from Isle of Skye. I wanna get there someday. Family of four here, longest trip 6wks, best memories ever. Keep it going!

I would have to say that a family with children is a much safer way to travel in foreign countries. Even robbers and crooks have family and kids and are sensitive to that. Ron

Hi. We all look forward to your postings. Overseas travel is fantastic for kids. I traveled all over Europe for 3 years (not military) as a youngster and learned languages, etc. Wonderful experience.

If you are not already aware of it, you might check out the Overlanding portal and resources since it is a resource of people who do a lot of around the world travel.

www.overlandjournal.com/overlanding (you may have to manually type this link into your browser)

Have fun. Chris

nikonron said:
I would have to say that a family with children is a much safer way to travel in foreign countries. Even robbers and crooks have family and kids and are sensitive to that. Ron

Dunno, Ron.

A: I travelled a lot alone in Europe and only ever felt unsafe in Naples, and that reminded me of San Francisco. Mexico and south of the border, maybe a bit of a concern.

B: I'm attaching a sad story about a family travelling in Italy. http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/15/us/the-childrens-bell-tower-in-bodega-bay.html?_r=0 Maybe bandits are less sentimental about other folks' families?

That said, bon voyage, Malimish. I'll look forward to reading of your travels.

Back
Top Bottom