Full time FWC'ers give Fwc thumbs up after 10 months

Anybody know the backstory about this family? Are they just travelling or do they have jobs which they do on the road?

Did some searching and found they've been doing this since 2008 starting by using an Airstream travel trailer and then switching to the FWC this year. The guy does remote web developing for a job.

http://malimish.com/blog/about/

It looks like condensation has been your biggest issue. Quite the challenge with 5 people in such a small space, night after night.

Other than wiping the condensation what sort of measures do you use to reduce condensation? Are you circulating the air while sleeping and during the daytime when the unit is not occupied?

Bill D - I don't think you are going to get answers to your questions. Bombsight is just posting a you-tube he found, he is not the owner of the rig. But condensation is an ongoing concern here. Here are some previous threads.

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/8001-condensation-management/
http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/2575-camper-condensation/
http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/1601-condensation/

And many more. Just put

condensation site:www.wanderthewest.com

into your google (or other) search window.

thanks Bseek for the clarification that another member found/posted this utube video...

fyi, after exploring their website posted by Spitfire, I sent Dan and Marlene(authors of the utube) an email inviting them to become members if so inclined...and asked a few of my own questions...

so with the references above, folks can contact them directly via their email address located on their blog site posted above if so desired ... will f/u with another post about any future contact received by Dan/Marlene...

scappoosebrad said:
thanks Bseek for the clarification that another member found/posted this utube video...

fyi, after exploring their website posted by Spitfire, I sent Dan and Marlene(authors of the utube) an email inviting them to become members if so inclined...and asked a few of my own questions...

so with the references above, folks can contact them directly via their email address located on their blog site posted above if so desired ... will f/u with another post about any future contact received by Dan/Marlene...
They are already members here. Don't post very often but they are very responsive via email and social media.

Looked more like condensation than leaks. The aluminum had kind of a lite frost on it when he lifted the carpet. The other thing I saw was they don't have any air circulation under the mattress. I noticed that while camping in the mountains with low temperatures, a small puddle was in the passenger rear on the cabinet. It hadn't rained so it was condensation that ran down onto the cabinet.

Bombsight, the article from Truck Camper Magazine has some great ideas for condensation. We have the Marine Hyper-vent under the mattress, the Eva-Dry, and we use the Dry-Rid when we store the camper. jd

longhorn1 said:
Looked more like condensation than leaks. The aluminum had kind of a lite frost on it when he lifted the carpet. The other thing I saw was they don't have any air circulation under the mattress. I noticed that while camping in the mountains with low temperatures, a small puddle was in the passenger rear on the cabinet. It hadn't rained so it was condensation that ran down onto the cabinet.

Bombsight, the article from Truck Camper Magazine has some great ideas for condensation. We have the Marine Hyper-vent under the mattress, the Eva-Dry, and we use the Dry-Rid when we store the camper. jd
there is clearly a lot of condensation in that part of the world but these were leaks. the center hole stopped leaking after I it plugged. each subsequent leak stopped after I plugged the corresponding holes with plumbers putty as well. you might not be as familiar with the pacific northwest environment but the condensation happens on a daily basis and the puddles only form while raining.

scappoosebrad said:

thanks Brad! we are already members but just not very active :)

Good point on the PNW. I have enjoyed following your travels. My wife thinks it is crowded in our Grandby with the 2 of us and our lab. Happy travels. jd

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

malimish said:
thanks Brad! we are already members but just not very active :)
Thank you, Malimish. There is no better information about the +'s &-'s than from a full time occupant of the FWC's we love so much.
I will keep searching for your updates because I thrive on newness and perfection over time. Your last video alone could save somebody a lot of money. Keep blazin' those trails.

malimish said:
there is clearly a lot of condensation in that part of the world but these were leaks. the center hole stopped leaking after I it plugged. each subsequent leak stopped after I plugged the corresponding holes with plumbers putty as well. you might not be as familiar with the pacific northwest environment but the condensation happens on a daily basis and the puddles only form while raining.
Malimish,

I didn't see anything under the mattress to allow for airflow. I mentioned something above about Marine Hyper-Vent. It really helps with removing condensation from under the mattress. Bombsight posted an article above from Truck Camper Magazine that mentions other products for removing condensation.. Keep on truckin. I would stop at FWC, especially with the split in the siding at the door and the gap around the frame. jd

We are almost at 6 months in our FWC, our only complaint is the piss poor dometic fridge. Probably going to swap it out for an ARB in the near future

www.mulehawk.com

MuleHawk said:
We are almost at 6 months in our FWC, our only complaint is the piss poor dometic fridge. Probably going to swap it out for an ARB in the near future

www.mulehawk.com
Do you have two way or two way Dometic fridge?

Since we are awaiting our new Grandby, I was kind of upset to see the crack in the siding above the door. I thought by going to a radius door that would eliminate that as a problem. We are intending to use our new camper for anual trips to explore Baja starting in January.

The camper in the video is fairly new and, in my opinion should not be cracking like that. Is this common?

That crack above the rear door is typical of a broken frame probably due to a poor weld at a joint nearby. You should get that checked out.

Back
Top Bottom