Full time FWC'ers give Fwc thumbs up after 10 months

JBahr said:
That crack above the rear door is typical of a broken frame probably due to a poor weld at a joint nearby. You should get that checked out.
I was talking about the FWC in the video, not mine, which is not even delivered yet. Just concerned that Baja will do that to my new one. I hope not. We will be driving on washboard and rough roads.

I've had to have the rear wall of my camper repaired twice. The first was a crack at the corner of the passenger door and also at the propane tank door. FWC re-welded and reinforced the rear wall. A couple of years later it cracked again above the passenger door. Another trip to Woodland and more welding should have fixed the problem but it's cracked again for the third time. The first two repairs were covered under warranty but not this last one. I've just sealed the crack now and hope the rear wall doesn't fall off.

Another problem I have now is that most of the rear wall trim screws are loose and can't be tightened properly due to the number of times that wall as been disassembled.

They should take care of a known problem that has been coming back . That's not great service . And the money they go for them . I also think they should weld them on all sides to eliminate issues. And I have owned a 00 and now a 07 I can tell you the metal and side canvas for 00 one was way better then the 07 . And that's one think I don't like about metal it the screw strip easier then wood . I had the 00 with jacks on all the time no issues with jack striping metal but mine on the 07 has worn out screw. So I decided to make it stronger on the corner and take jacks off when on trick so the weight doesn't mess with wearing out screws . Also the metal was better on the old one . I think some materials are thinner. My experience

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

I would guess the cracking is due to the wall racking when driving over rough roads. As the truck frame twists, the camper has to rack, especially if the turnbuckles are very tight. Something has to give. The weak point is at the door corners. Whether or not the door has the curved corner, the frame is still rectangular. If it racks far enough, the weld is going to break. I suspect the siding covers up broken welds on most of the campers, mine included. This is also a potential problem for those with welded flatbeds. Rack the frame far enough and welds in the bed are bound to break.

Set it and forget it. And you don't have to be level or worry about wind blowing out the pilot. Regarding set it and forget it, you can set the temp when the outside is 70 and it is still the same when the outsise is 110. I experienced this in real life when I started at the beach in the am and was in a heat wave in Vegas. Before I installed solar, a dual battery would last 3 days before I needed to run the engine to charge. After solar, it never would drop below 3 lights.

Oops, I just re read that your question is what you don't like about it. Im referring to why I like the 2 way

Sent from my SM-G930V using Wander The West mobile app

malimish said:
thanks Brad! we are already members but just not very active :)
thanks for your reply... "not very active"? can't imagine why? you guys are definitely "busy campers"... keep on treckin'... but will continue to enjoy your website posts keeping up on your family's adventures.. :D

Back
Top Bottom