Furnace does not start fire

doburoku

Does anyone experience furnace does not start fire while its fan starts? When I set to 90F of the furnace of my 2006 Grandby, the fan turns on and then off after 30 sec. or so on 80% of times. The most probable cause is its micro switch does not blow away by the fan. Does anyone experience? If so, how do you fix? Replace the fan? Apply lubrication to the micro switch? How do you expose the micro switch?
-caz

My furnace will not light when battery is low. Yet the fan will come on, then off. Check your power supply.

It could also be that propane has not replaced the air in the propane lines after changing a propane tank. In this case, be sure that the cooktop lights before trying again. Does the hot water heater light and run?

Search for "atwood furnace troubleshooting". There are several videos on how to troubleshoot & solve this problem.

Good luck.
Paul

My sail switch was bad, fan would turn on, furnace would not ignite, fan would stop because of an error, reset button under the outside panel would allow for a restart, but after it cycled off it wouldn't reignite until I reset the button again.

doburoku said:
Does anyone experience furnace does not start fire while its fan starts? When I set to 90F of the furnace of my 2006 Grandby, the fan turns on and then off after 30 sec. or so on 80% of times. The most probable cause is its micro switch does not blow away by the fan. Does anyone experience? If so, how do you fix? Replace the fan? Apply lubrication to the micro switch? How do you expose the micro switch?
-caz
It would be helpful to know what model furnace you have. Remove the outside cover and look there or contact FWC.

I assume you refer to the sail switch. My furnace is an 85xx series so this video is helpful to me. It may give you an idea what it would take to access it but of course that info may not be apply to your model.

He mentions the sail switch at the 4:45 mark of the video.

Some resources for the Suburban DD-17DSI....

Suburban service and training manual - the Troubleshooting Guide on page 31 may be helpful (assuming that's the one that applies to the DD17DSI). That may help you decide whether you do indeed have a sail switch problem.

Suburban Product Presentation manual at Bryant RV Services - good intro to sequence of operations, what the parts look like, etc. Note the strong warning on never replacing a sail or limit switch with a substitute.

DD17DSI operations manual at Bryant RV Services -- shows the microswitch and limit switch in the exploded parts diagram.

General note--- the manuals are confusing. They appear to be assembled from multiple publications and cover multiple models so it can be tough to pick out the applicable info.

I hoped to find a good Youtube clip in the DD-17DSI but couldn't find anything useful.

Atwood and Suburban appear to take different approaches to furnace design. Atwood brags up access from the outside cover while Suburban goes with removal of the furnace from its case... and in fact recommends that be done at least yearly for routine cleaning. I'd guess the sail and limit switches are accessible once the furnace is removed from its case.

Also- Please take the warnings in the manuals seriously. If you have no experience with furnaces, propane connections, or electrical troubleshooting with a voltmeter, you should probably take the problem to a pro or call a mobile RV repair service.

Read thru this. I think it was page 25 which listed the sequence of events. Page 18 note #1
Hope this helps.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom