Future Rallys

I'm thinking of heading to southern NM in late March. Anyone interested in a NM rally?

I'm in S. NM, I was thinking of heading to Big Bend about that time!

Around March 10th I have to run through the lost coast on my way to Washington but likely be on my bike not in the fwc.

I'm in S. NM, I was thinking of heading to Big Bend about that time!

Around March 10th I have to run through the lost coast on my way to Washington but likely be on my bike not in the fwc.

Ooh! Ooh! Can we come?

Mark & Edna

I'm thinking of heading to southern NM in late March. Anyone interested in a NM rally?

I might be. I've been wanting to get down there to photograph some mining towns. What do you know about the weather there that time of year? Any particular places you were looking to go?

Some of us Northwest guys need some sun.....
how about Hells canyon in the spring?

Always remote, warm, sunny.....gotta love it.

dave in Seattle

Tempting

Some of us Northwest guys need some sun.....
how about Hells canyon in the spring?

Always remote, warm, sunny.....

Hells Canyon sounds very tempting for this Idaho guy...

Late March in Big Bend or S NM should bring lots of sun (always), 80's and 50 for temps, no rain but you can get viscous winds from time to time. What mining towns? In NM there is Chloride, Winston, Lake Valley, Hillsboro is still alive - heading there in a couple hours. These are all on the edge of the Gila Mtns so you can quickly gain elevation if you want. Check out Monticello Canyon, an easy but wet 4x4 route.
158758873_mtJv7-S.jpg

I might be. I've been wanting to get down there to photograph some mining towns. What do you know about the weather there that time of year? Any particular places you were looking to go?

homemade:

I've been there in april and it was mighty warm. Hit the Oregon side and went down to Dug Bar. Very remote and on the river. Warm. Did I say warm? The one time I was there I saw no one going in or out! Amazing. And talk about stars......

If anyone knows of other places in the area, please do chime in.

dave

Homemade:
When I was there, water was swift. Would not want to swim without support of a boat or sea-doo. It was down stream of the dam, but it was flowing fast. Cold, clear, fast. Nice for showers and a good source of water, though I probably would not drink it. I am sure there are other places like Dug bar. None perhaps as remote.

If you are interested in a spring trip, maybe we can coordinate. always good to travel in groups.

Dave

homemade:

I think your little boat would do well here. Getting down the road might be tricky, but I would bring it. Definitely would be useful and probably fun. The big power boats cruise by all day. You can hear their engines a few minutes before they pass. They usually end by sundown, though. There is a cement put in there.....

the road is narrow, but the 350 would do fine. I did it with my full sized dodge and camper. No problem. Slow, not a lot of turnouts in some spots. Pretty and a lot of turnbuckle checking this one. I would carry at least an extra 5 or 10 gal gas as none at Imnaha. It took me a fair part of a day to get there. Partly because I was alone, partly because I'd never been and stopped a lot for photos, Partly because of the big potholes and rocks. When I got out and back to Imnaha, I did not have enough gas to go south comfortably, so had to go back, to Joseph I think, before heading south. Bummer. This time I will know.

Those weekends might be good. won't know which for a little while. Would be great for a meet up. Never a bad thing to be outside! I would hope the winter was kind to the road.

I will check the calendar for sure....

dave

Back
Top Bottom