FWC add furnace?

Josh, if you're buying new, get the furnace and LP at that time. It will make life easier. The bench seat can be added, but I am not a fan of them. The side dinette works best in my opinion. No big feet in the aisle, a place to sit when the bed is extended, the ability to see out the passenger side window...

Yes and Yes. Just how much work do you want to do and can you do the work. You can save a little if you have the skills. Also could be just a cheap to buy with the items you want.

Josh41 said:
If I buy a shell without a furnace can one be added?

Josh41 said:
How about the folding bench?

I ordered my camper without a furnace. I had some bad luck over the years with furnaces. I would go camping and I would fire up the heater and the next morning I had a dead battery. After about 10 years of that I installed a Olympic Wave in my 19 foot trailer. I loved it and never went back.
When I ordered my FWC I figured I would use a catalytic heater of some kind. So I used a Buddy heater when I don't have power and I have a small electric heater when I am plugged in. This is the heater I got for when I I am plugged in, and I like it a lot. It is very small but produces a lot of heat. It has a thermostat so it will cycle on and off with the inside temp.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007ULR14/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

After four years of ownership and use I am still happy with my choice for the most part. When I use my camper I am either hunting, fishing, or at running races with my wife. Hunting and fishing I always have my generator and my Buddy heater. When I am at races we are normally plugged in to shore power. Not having a furnace for me is not a big deal. We live without it very well.

Idahoron: when you were using the Buddy heater did you have any problem with condensation (or with the Wave)? When I use my Buddy heater for an hour things feel damp, use it for four hours and things are wet.

jim

I wonder if condensation is an issue in the north. Because of humidity. Down here in the south its drier so Mr Buddy doesn't create condensation...unless your camping at the beach.

JaSAn said:
Idahoron: when you were using the Buddy heater did you have any problem with condensation (or with the Wave)? When I use my Buddy heater for an hour things feel damp, use it for four hours and things are wet.

jim
I didn't see any with the Wave but it was in a hard side trailer. I run the hose into the camper through the turnbuckle door on the back drivers side. That gives me a good bottom vent. Then I open a couple windows and the top vent. If the temp is above freezing I don't get a ton of condensation. If it gets below freezing I get a LOT of condensation. It really depends on the temp and the moisture level in the air. The electric heater has much less condensation.

Some where there is a thread on what options you like most. Heater was number 1. I had a 2002 and now a 2013 Hawk, the new heater are so much better than the old ones. I really would not order one without the forced air heater if you camp when it get cold.

I got a shell without the heater. I was influenced by a number people posting that they had the heater but ended up using a buddy because of noise and battery draw but also because of the lower purchase price. In hindsight, the Buddy heater works fine but its cumbersome with no perfect place to put it. I wish I had just gotten with the camper in the first place. The kick on kick off noise would not bother me and getting another battery is relatively cheap. You will not save much doing it on your own but you may have a design in mind that suits you better. In summary, I was being cheap and am now regretting it.

I have ordered a Hawk flat bed without a heater. I plan to install a Webasto diesel furnace. I had one in an aluminum boat and it took care of all the moisture issues in the cabin of the boat. Dried everything out very well and kept the windows dry too. I will do a write up of that install and all of the other mods after I take delivery in May. I camp quite a bit in cold, wet weather and hope that the diesel furnace will clear up some of the moisture issues. If not, I still love a FWC for getting me where I want to be. Moisture on the inside is just a standard option that we learn to deal with. Sold my Hawk slide in just yesterday and am already feeling naked without a FWC in the drive!

So we bought a Fleet shell, prerty much stripped, has battery and lights. We should be able to pick up in late April or early May. Its already built and at the dealer so options are not an option. We will use it over the summer and add a heater as fall approaches.

Continuing on the heater theme, we have had the camper just over a week now and sit in it most days after work trying to get a feel on how to set it up. Lot's of projects (I will put up a build thread soon), regarding propane, for the summer, we are going to go it without a heater, heading to Montana from Mass and spending a few weeks out there. It may get cold at night, but I think we will be fine with sleeping bags. We have a chuck box on the way and plan on doing 99% of cooking outside under the awning. I bought a propane bottle hanger for an 11# bottle that we will mount on the rear exterior wall on the passenger side. I am planning on using it for outdoor cooking and maybe run a line for a heater later. The outdoor propane is common on trailer pop ups, is there any reason I should avoid this on the FWC, I really did not want to lose the interior space for the propane locker.
img_171251_0_0c2e16cde67cedbee867abe08d910384.png

I added a Olympian Wave 3 heater to my camper and really like it a lot better than the Atwood forced air heater we have installed. Quiet, even heat, and no current draw.

michgoblue said:
I added a Olympian Wave 3 heater to my camper and really like it a lot better than the Atwood forced air heater we have installed. Quiet, even heat, and no current draw.
Where do you have it in your camper? My only issue with catalytic heaters is my dog. I have a standard Poodle that is quite tall, I don't think I can put in on a counter and be far enough away from the roof, they recommend 3'.

img_171273_4_eeb9e1718c5bb038515872df74309035.png

No more than you use a heater, I still like the idea of just carrying a Lil Buddy heater for when you think you may need heat. You don't loose any cabinet space and you can leave it at home when you want. I have yet to fire up a heater in my Eagle and have awoke to 19 degrees in it last November in Arizona. Lil Buddy can be moved where ever you want, even outside. Remember everything you add, adds weight. I like the 1# tanks. Your 11# tank with its bracket and hoses and misc. fittings will all add up weight quick. Ron

For me, having a heater is one of the primary reasons of having a camper (the other being dry). Having the heater has allowed us to dramatically extend our exploring season - so far we have put in about 30 nights between October and March in the Rockies. We have the 'new' Attwood heater that was installed in our Fleet in 2016. It is much quieter than previous models, and much lower current draw. We can sleep at night with it running and it doesn't wake us up. If I were starting with a shell model, I would consider a Propex heater like we had in our last camper. These are very compact and efficient on both propane and electricity and are built to a much better spec than most RV type heaters. They are slightly louder than our current furnace though.

I personally don't like the catalytic type heaters (Wave, Buddy heater) as they dump a lot of water vapor into your camper. Condensation is already an issue with pop up campers when it is cold out, and a catalytic heater will just make it worse.

The condensation issue is the exact reason that I too shy away from running a heater at all. My Lil Buddy heater is more for the wife if she happens to be along and I would need to warm the camper before she crawls out of bed. She's not real tough when it comes to cold temps.. Ron

Back
Top Bottom