FWC/ATC vs Panther Truck Camper...any advice?

whybother

Anybody have any input/experience with Panther Truck Campers? (http://panthercampers.com/Panther.html)? I have been researching truck campers and searching the internet for units for sale. I am leaning towards either an ATC Bobcat or FWC Eagle, preferably the shell model.
But, I just stumbled upon Panther Truck Campers, and can't find much user feedback. They are very light, and have an interesting design: not as much headroom as a FWC/ATC when open, nor does it have a cab-over bed (cab-over storage instead). But there seems to be great storage room, there wouldn't be any issues with fabric wearing out/ripping/leaking, and it doesn't need to be popped up, which is nice for the occasional urban/stealth bivy. I also like that they offer the camper with very little creature comforts. I'm curious if anyone has any input? How would the aerodynamics/effect on gas mileage/handling compare to ATC/FWC?
I have a 2004 Tacoma xtra-cab, V6, so the Panther model I would be looking at would be the Cascade Compact. Weight starts at 622 lbs.

Thanks for the advice!

I hadn't heard of the Panther campers until now. This unit is interesting:

Sportsman.jpg

They don't mention anything about the frame construction so it must be wood. If that's true, you aren't going to have the same long life and great resale value you get with the FWC/ATC campers.

Looking at the Australian Connection, the frame is wood. You can see the assembly process in one photo. Nice shape for a hard side, though.

Thanks for the reply Dirty Dog. I do think that they use a wood frame in the Panthers; I'm not sure if this would have a big effect on longevity or not. I do not need the camper to be uber-off road worthy. I am a mountain guide and most of my four-wheeling is just getting to climbing/skiing areas, so nothing too rugged. They shell model FWC/ATC interest me, as does this Panther design. I like the simplicity...somewhere to sleep/change/store and dry gear/ cook simple meals/etc... I currently spend lots of nights in my truck w/ normal topper, but I need to upgrade. I do not think I would want a fridge, stove, furnace, etc... because the weight and space savings are significant.

Their site pretty choppy for anyone else?

I never noticed they had a camper line before but when someone pointed out they were carry the SMEV stoves in their parts store I noticed they had good pricing on the atwood 8012 heater, kaper led lights fixtures, etc. so I'll probably source a few items from them.

Bummer there is no pass-thru window on the cascade to see out the back door window while driving. Cool layout though.

And does that cabover berth seem MIGHTY small, or is it me?

I don't know anything about them either, but I stumbled upon this Panther camper while searching the net one night.

http://www.ourpanthercamper.com/

Bummer there is no pass-thru window on the cascade to see out the back door window while driving. Cool layout though.

And does that cabover berth seem MIGHTY small, or is it me?

The cabover is storage space, not a bed.

Hi there,

I have no advice for you... But, I am seriously looking at the Panther Truck camper as well! I have a 2009 v6 4x4 access cab taco and would like to have a solid, warm, truck camper on top of that. I have been talking to their design person, he indicated that the Taco would fit (provided airbags or extra springs) and they would be able to install a wet bath in the cascade model.

I am looking to use the camper for ski bumming and surf bumming, so lots of cold and light off-roading. I want a small kitchen, wet bath, furnace, solar, and a refrigerator with no AC appliances at all.

Now I read about the concern regarding wood frame, I'll be giving the a call. But, according to their website, they say it's "fiberglass"...

Any opinions from the forum?

Now I read about the concern regarding wood frame, I'll be giving the a call. But, according to their website, they say it's "fiberglass"...

Fiber glass exterior sheeting is likely what they mean. Wood construction done right and sealed well from the elements is fine (many boats sitting in water and getting hit by waves last a LONG time), however whether a low cost camper company is going to take the time (and thus expense) to really use wood construction properly for long term wear/tear is another matter to look into.

Interesting to find this thread, as I recently found the Panther website and am interested in their campers.

They are a tad on the heavy side, and the wood frame is a concern for me. The Gen2 Tacoma's frame is so flexible, C channel and all.

I think they have a niche here. Looks like a good way to go for people who are already using a camper shell for their camping. It would be a nice upgrade and give more room and storage.

I agree with Pods8. The wood frame is not a big deal if properly sealed with fiberglass skin. They sure do have some nice lines. Sharp looking campers. Still a little tall in the back though.

Home Skillet

How about livin-lite? http://www.livinlite.com/hstcamper-overview.php They are making an all aluminum camper for the tacoma...

Saw a listing somewhere in Michigan asking for 13K for base price... http://www.rvusa.com/rvs/michigan/hw-motor-homes-inc/2011-livin-lite-truck-camper-311840

Also found something else really interesting and I like more. http://www.northern-lite.com/truck_camper_lite_610.html

One thing you should be aware of is that any of these "light" campers are going to put you over the payload for your Tacoma by quite a bit once loaded up with water, dogs, beer, bikes etc. Only the truly light campers like the FWC or ATC are even going to be close. To what degree you feel this is a problem is up to you, opinions vary on that.

IMO a camper built for a small truck should be pretty basic and at least attempt to be within the payload for the truck. To have a tiny camper that is supposed to fit on a compact truck, and to load it up with things like wet baths, is just trying to do too much with too little.

I agree that a wet bath isn't practical on a taco. I also have a small truck and found a Zodi shower (or a less expensive garden sprayer) plus a pop-up shelter are a good solution. Search on "shower" at the top of the page for some good ideas.

I believe in the next 2-3 years we will see an excellent Tacoma camper on the market. And it will be on a flatbed.

Back
Top Bottom