FWC camper hunt

Jollyrogers

Lurker and all round FNG here from the east coast. I almost bought a Northstar and backed out, but have been looking for and want a Hawk for my 14 Ram 2500 CTD. With the upcoming outdoor expo in PA, we where planning on going up that way to order either a Hawk shell with a few options, or the Hawk standard "loaded" (including A/C)… OK well, at least looking and all depending on impressions when we can see and compare the differences. The idea of going shell was to basically "tent" camp in the back of the truck, and just carry our stuff with us and setup a screened room for cooking under etc outside the camper. Use a portable heater, potty, cookstove, etc as necessary, and have the fantastic fan (though A/C in the South East would be nice). Plus budget is not there for the loaded version and I would hate to spend that and only use it a few times a year. Though I could splurge, and try to recoup some funds selling some other toys.

But low and behold, I stumbled across a used Grandby standard with some options. If I can get the price right, I was considering purchasing it. However there are a couple concerns.

1. Picking up a used FWC and getting it home. The seller has brand new mounting h/w from FWC. I am just a little unsure what it will take to install. Do I do it then and there, take a drill with me and start drilling on my truck? Do the directions have the required measurements? Anyone have some recommendations here? A safe way to get it 120 miles down road to my house where I can mount it right and take my time… A detailed set of instructions to review ahead of time would be awesome!

2. It's a Grandby, and is gonna sit on my tailgate and would have to use an extender for my hitch to tow my M/C trailer when I want it along. I saw some pictures, read some about it, and a little apprehensive, but its doable. The Grandby would be about the same as going with a new Hawk shell price wise. Kinda hard to decide, go used getting almost what I want, or go new and get something functional that fits perfect, but doesn't have a lot of options I think I would want.

What advantages do I have between a new FWC vs a lightly used 8 year old FWC , if any - construction wise etc? I seem to recall that the roof is improved, anything else?

Wish I was out west. I could snatch one up a lot easier and with less expense I believe. I have a son in Denver, and another in Seattle. Both are heading home within the year, but no truck to haul one on.

Jollyrogers

2. It's a Grandby, and is gonna sit on my tailgate and would have to use an extender for my hitch to tow my M/C trailer when I want it along. I saw some pictures, read some about it, and a little apprehensive, but its doable. The Grandby would be about the same as going with a new Hawk shell price wise. Kinda hard to decide, go used getting almost what I want, or go new and get something functional that fits perfect, but doesn't have a lot of options I think I would want.

What advantages do I have between a new FWC vs a lightly used 8 year old FWC , if any - construction wise etc? I seem to recall that the roof is improved, anything else?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Yes you can do the mount on the road. Would be easier if you have done it or seen it done. If not put a BIG strap over the top and across the back. Lots of changes over the last 8 years at FWC. Rounded read door, one piece roof, fiber lift panels, small propane tanks, standard extended cabover and more. If you have the skills to add what you want, a shell that fits and has all the new stuff would be a better buy long term just for the resale.

I agree with Bill about the new one with the upgrades being a better buy long term. In addition to the better rear door and lift panels, the liner (pop-up fabric) is an improved product.

I would not drive at highway speeds with the straps, take slow back roads. The factory may be able to send you install instructions, try emailing them.

A/C can be had with the shell option as well, but you'd have to bring in an extension cord through a turnbuckle port as there is no electrical outlets in the shell model.

I do have some industrial size 4" straps I could use and can route my way through the country to get home.

I think I'll go look at the new ones in person. Then make the choice. I have a gen and could run electrical easily, just didn't think about running a cord through the turn buckles port holes. I was leaning towards batteries and portable solar with shell and fantastic fan porta potti, propane box, and water tank in back seat of truck w/ 12V pump. Most of our situations are under trees for camping. Really don't think I would do a hole lot of custom work to it. Partially want the room to give some space for a dog to sleep also.

Be mindful, many states do not permit Class IV/V hitch extensions longer than a specified length. And of course, there is no uniformity from state to state. And the max length will be dependent upon the state you find yourself at any given moment, not where the vehicle is registered/titled. Some states agressively enforce these rules while others it is a mere passing thought and only comes to their attention if you are involved in an accident. Also, check your insurance policy. There is near uniformity underwriting in the insurance industry that some vehicle modifications are stipulated exclusions in your policy/coverage.

Further, a weight distribution system should be used considered when using an extension.

Safety can become an issue with extensions since the maximum tongue weight capacity decreases when an extension is used. There are some solutions to the tongue weight reduction issues. Read here for an simplified explanation.

New is always better unless you don't have the budget for it. I got more camper buying used that I would have if I bought new even though it was 8 years old. Sure I had to do some maintenance but they all need that at some point. If you go new, don't cheap out on it. Get what you want and be done with it.

Towing with an extension is not a big deal. Upgrade to a Torklift Superhitch and drag 6500+ pounds around all day long. How big is your trailer? What's the weight? M/C = Motorcycle? Superhitch would be more than enough unless you've got some huge enclosed monster.

sign0134.gif

For campers and RV's unless your using it lots used is typically a better value given most RV / camper purchases never get used more than once or twice a year. But if your retired or have a job that lets you spend considerable time on the road camping and doing fun stuff then the old used rv or camper eventually gets replaced with a new rig. It could be argued that not dumping big money into a new rig before you learn what you like and don't like is a smart move but if you already know exactly how your going to use it and what you need then it makes more sense to just invest in the new rig to start with.

The rounded corner single piece door frames on the aluminum rigs is a smart move given the sharp 90 degree corners fail at the welds from the flexing and abuse they take on the road. I find it odd it took the RV builders so long to sort that out given the boat builders learned that a long time ago. ;-)

Jollyrogers said:
1. Picking up a used FWC and getting it home. The seller has brand new mounting h/w from FWC. I am just a little unsure what it will take to install. Do I do it then and there, take a drill with me and start drilling on my truck? Do the directions have the required measurements? Anyone have some recommendations here? A safe way to get it 120 miles down road to my house where I can mount it right and take my time… A detailed set of instructions to review ahead of time would be awesome!
When I switched trucks and knew I was going to put a flatbed on the new one I didn't want to install eyebolts in the bed in the interim and used ratchet straps to go highway camping with my FWC hawk I had. I connected them to the stock tiedowns after looking them over and seeing they were decently robust. I wouldn't offroad that setup but it worked fine for a mellow highway drive.

Really a lot of great input here to think over, thank you all for taking time to post. I'm not worried IRT my hitch extension and towing a single motorcycle on a trailer, though it is a hog...

pods8 said:
When I switched trucks and knew I was going to put a flatbed on the new one I didn't want to install eyebolts in the bed in the interim and used ratchet straps to go highway camping with my FWC hawk I had. I connected them to the stock tiedowns after looking them over and seeing they were decently robust. I wouldn't offroad that setup but it worked fine for a mellow highway drive.
So did you just attach from the FWC tie downs to the bed tie downs? I have so decent ratchet straps, and additionally have so 10k 4" heavy duty straps. The later would have to go up and over and behind, as there probably isn't room, though maybe they could go up through the port holes and over to the other side, through the other port hole and to the tie downs. Wouldn't know unless I got it.

We are gonna go look new this weekend I think, and shell seems to be what I'm leaning towards so wife could use HER pickup with the camper attached as grocery getter.

Jollyrogers said:
So did you just attach from the FWC tie downs to the bed tie downs?
Yes. Since the distances aren't too long I threaded the strap through the tiedown cleat and then threaded it into the ratchet mechanism. I hooked the ratchet to the camper eyebolt and then the other hook was either also to the camper or the ratchet hook (I can't recall exactly). That allowed the loop to be tightened down (otherwise there wasn't enough distance between the tie down and camper eyebolt to just hook into each). I had to use one of the smaller sized strap sets to make it all fit in there.

I kept a paranoid eye on things at first but honestly it worked just fine and didn't loosen up. I wouldn't think twice about doing it to just pick up a camper and take a mellow drive home (even if it was 120mi). If you're not bouncing around offroad the camper is basically just going to be sitting there. The biggest force you'd generally see on the highway is braking and that would just slide it forward a tad if there was room for it to do so (btw: bring a stand off piece of wood to put along the front edge of the camper in case the camper doesn't have bumpers since the top rail of the bed may be farther rearward than the wall below it).

Well I have priced out a hawk standard how I would want it, and a shell with the starting options I would want. We are heading North on Saturday to check them out at Main Line's display at the Great American Outdoor Expo. I have a ton of questions for Matt and whoever else will be there. Better write those down while I am thinking of it. If we like what we see, we'll drop a deposit. If not, then I'll keep my toy hauler around a little longer…

super doody said:
You guys are confusing me. What's the story behind the avatar?
It's Edward Teach's (Blackbeard) flag depicting a skeleton piercing a heart and toasting the devil. We just happen to use the same avatar.

Advmoto18 said:
I've always liked SOCIAL DISTORTION'S take on raising their "Black".

I guess its OK to hijack this thread since we are talking about flags of pirates!
I like it.

We made it to the Great American Outdoor Expo... what a crazy huge event, I had no idea it was so big of an expo, and man was it crowded. I should have planned better and made it a two day trip, as it was a 3+ hour drive up there and we had to RTB as we left our dogs home. Made for a tiring trip by the time we got home!

Once we finally found Main Line, met up with Matt, his brother and their dad we pretty much spent our time there talking campers and looking. Also met and talked with Tom Hanagan, who was very nice to talk with about ideas of mine that would or would not work.

So we decided front dinette is out, going Hawk standard w/ side dinette, heat, dual vent fans, side awning, hot water/shower, jacks w/ alum brackets, spur exterior, acdc fridge. Was going to get a shell, but I want to keep this camper, and decided it was worth the amenities in the long run as I age further.

Now just need to work out details w/ Matt! and maybe sell my toy hauler...

Back
Top Bottom