FWC ceiling storage?

CArob

Hi guys,
Im wondering if anyone has added some storage compartments to the ceiling of a grandby or hawk? Like maybe above the front dinette seats so the ceiling isn't obstructed from closing when collapsed. Kind of like the ones that come on the hallmark:
post-6209-0-16759000-1440225868_thumb.jpg

Im just doing some research on the different pop up campers. So far I'm liking the four wheel campers the most, but I would like to have more interior storage. I used to have a toyota sunrader that had ceiling storage cabinets similar to these and they really came in handy.
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 1525675_10152819233978934_1793469660958947583_n.jpg
    1525675_10152819233978934_1793469660958947583_n.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 335
With the roof dropped down, there is little clearance for overhead cabinets, but you might be able to hang some cargo nets overhead to hold light weight items like jackets etc out of the way between the side windows in the fabric walls. A lot would depend on whether you had front or side dinette, or a rollover couch.

Remember, also, that anything substantial would have to be manually lifted when popping the roof.

It's features like that may help you decide what brand, floorplan etc will work best for your needs. Would the loss of open space be a good trade off vs increase of claustrophobia? in the FWC, that open space makes my Hawk seem much larger when stuck inside in inclement weather.

Paul

I agree with Paul.

At one point I wanted a Phoenix camper or something custom and to have storage on the ceiling. For some reason I was really hung up on having cabinets up there for some reason. But the four wheel camper roof has to be manually lifted. Not only that but there simply isn't much room, at least in mine. I have a fleet with a forward dinette, and there is maybe 8-10" above the counter top on the driver's side only. The only addition space is above the dinette seats, where I store bedding, clothes and bed cushions anyway. Having a cabinet there would take up space for storage and seriously affect space in the bed when extended. They wouldn't allow me to hang the inside shower curtain. Additionally as Paul said, the small camper feels much bigger with everything being open up top anyhow.

A couple of small nets cleverly placed might be nice to stuff a few towels, blankets, something along those lines but I couldn't see doing much more.

Storage can be an issue with any of the pop up campers, and inevitable you'll be shuffling things around. For us it is mostly just clothes, bedding and sometimes extra food that we are shuffling around. I bought four front runner flat packs (flat folding rectangular containers) that stack very well. We used these on our last trip (we each got one for our clothes and one for my daughters toys) and loved them so much that I just ordered four more. For me they take the chaos out of the camper. They are all gray, and have a clear plastic pocket on one side to insert a label or tag. They stack neatly on a seat or on the floor during travel. Easily stack on the tall counter when we are in the camper, easily moved to the truck cab or outside to a table. In the event a shower is available, just grab your own container and go instead of digging through a cabinet. If we aren't using them all, the extras fold flat and get tucked out of the way. Much more flexible than an overhead storage box to me.

http://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com/storage-systems/boxes-bags/front-runner-flatpack-storage-box.html#.VdhD34o8L7o

My Grandby seems to have plenty of storage. After owning it for 14 months, I am cleaning it out as I have accumulated too much stuff. I use a few plastic drawers ( they are actually 30 yrs old and belonged to my mother) for extra storage. They are placed on the cabinet by the door. For bread and snack storage, I purchased another plastic container sized to fit in the middle floor space of the truck cab. That container gets placed on top of the icebox. The space along the floor, under the cabinet overhang, is just the right size for the storage bags that came with my Sherpa table. Those bags are labeled for items that are used for outdoor cooking, such as "Paper Goods" or "Spices and Condiments". At the end of the trip, I take the bag out and replace any consumed items.

raymondmom said:
My Grandby seems to have plenty of storage. After owning it for 14 months, I am cleaning it out as I have accumulated too much stuff. I use a few plastic drawers ( they are actually 30 yrs old and belonged to my mother) for extra storage. They are placed on the cabinet by the door. For bread and snack storage, I purchased another plastic container sized to fit in the middle floor space of the truck cab. That container gets placed on top of the icebox. The space along the floor, under the cabinet overhang, is just the right size for the storage bags that came with my Sherpa table. Those bags are labeled for items that are used for outdoor cooking, such as "Paper Goods" or "Spices and Condiments". At the end of the trip, I take the bag out and replace any consumed items.
We've had similar experience after almost 3 years of use. We have a front dinette Grandby without a cassette toilet or inside shower. Over time we have taken things out that originally thought were needed. We've also replaced some items with things that fit better in the storage available and actually have excess internal storage now. We augment with a small 3-drawer cabinet for cloths on longer trips and 2 to 3 storage totes depending on whether or not I'm bringing firewood from home. It just takes a few trips to determine what works for you.

Back
Top Bottom