FWC Counter Top and Table

Josh41

It is time to start customizing out Fleet shell. On the driver's side, we want to put in a counter with space below for bins, so the face will be open with a few support legs.

1. Any thoughts on materials, looking for light, with out sag.
2. We will add an Atwood furnace or whatever FWC is using now in the fall. Is there a depth requirement for the heater? We will box the heater in and I want to make sure the counter comes out far enough to make a cabinet for the heater.

Under the pull out bed by the front window, we are planning a filler to make an almost twin bed, abut 28" wide and the width of the camper. Looking for a material to span the floor that we can convert during the day to a table. Bonus points if it can match the counter.

Josh

Josh,

I've not seen anyone building a cabinet with legs. All builds, including factory have the cabinets from the floor up, securing the base at the floor pack and at the walls. You want something secure for off roading. jd

Josh, what you're wanting to do is pretty much what I did in my Eagle shell. I really like the open style design, works well for me. I can take more detailed pics if you want. Ron

20161203_102643_resized.jpg

nikonron said:
Josh, what you're wanting to do is pretty much what I did in my Eagle shell. I really like the open style design, works well for me. I can take more detailed pics if you want. Ron

attachicon.gif
20161203_102643_resized.jpg
Exactly!!! I really like the supports and how they allow you to access the narrow storage in the "seats". Any more pics or details would be greatly appreciated, including fastening techniques.
Josh

Josh, here are some pics that I just took, hope this helps. I did split the under storage area in half because I have a ARB fridge mounted to the front and wanted to be able to access the storage without removing the fridge. Ron

20170511_112857_resized.jpg20170511_112904_resized.jpg

20170511_112920_resized.jpg

I built the kitchen box to be removable so you can take it outside plus makes it so that you're able to get into the storage below it. Ron

20170511_113053_resized.jpg

LED strip light underneath the countertop is a must have for me, really lights it up as it's all in a dark hole at night without it. Ron

Ron,
That looks great! What did you use for the counter top? Did you buy it as/is or do the T molding yourself?
We have a chuck box coming, see pic below, this will be stored back passenger side bench and come out to cook (the legs go on and off easily. The counter will have Sterilite drawers under it for food, clothes and assorted other crap.
img_171260_0_b3722922de980d26f30574bcc9cc5688.png

Ron that is very well done. Reminds me of the Tardis interior. Josh if you haven't checked out Overland Hadley's build it might give you some ideas too. It's great to see the craftsmanship and creativity that people put into their shell models.

I had Four Wheel campers ship me a 5 foot piece of the counter top and the I ripped it and cut it down to what I needed. The other panels are 1/2" baltic birch from Lowes.Skelitized it to save weight and to help with lighting. Just remember what ever you go with everything needs to be secured for off road travel. I have nothing that can shift or fly loose. Ron

Ron,
What height did you set the cleat at. I pulled my wall, I have about 2" of aluminum at the top of the box, then wood/wires, then I think I may be too low. What is your measurement from the cleat to the top of the wall?
When you ripped the FWC counter, what was inside? Solid ply or particle?
Thanks
Josh

Solid plywood. I just located framing by poking through the wall board with an ice pick. It's 18" from the top of the carpeted box area to top of the cleat. Ron

Ice pick, huh? I was thinking some super expensive tool that I would have no other use for would be much better. (haha) I already have a few awls and picks. I found a bamboo table top that I plan on cutting down. I'll post when I'm done. Thanks for the info.
Josh

Bamboo was a no go, too heavy and saw destroyed the veneer. You win some and loose some. I did find a really expensive tool to find the framing. I wrote up a quick post on using a Flir thermal imaging camera. Luckily it was free for me to use, but they are rentable. I decided to make a box, similar to the chuck box we bought for storage. It sits on the rear driver bench and has tons of space with a 36X17 top as counter space. I can remove it, or move it forward to distribute weight better when traveling.
Chuck box on right, new box on left, don't mind my disaster of a garage.
img_171894_0_900103fd346ad5bed6eaadb3a0fb4fd8.png

If you build that for a permanant installation you can make it way lighter. As in no back and very little bottom board. Ron

Back
Top Bottom