FWC door holder opener...

Mic

Advanced Member
Well I am just 49 days or so till I pick up my new Eagle!!!
Think I have most every thing ready to go (new stuff & some old camping stuff)!

I was reading a while back about the NEW door holder opener...can't find the write up on it...can some one remind me of where this is or what the new system looks like!?
Thanks!!!

Pictures for us to lazy to search

sml_gallery_5315_768_3314769.jpg
sml_gallery_5315_768_6700385.jpg
sml_gallery_5315_768_3298545.jpg

After a few month of ownership, I realized I preferred the old style they used to use (I had a 1997 FWC Grandby for 9 years), since I could close the door from inside the camper. However, this style, if you use it, will keep the door from being damaged in the wind and/or from hitting a rear wall step that your partner leaves in the down position all the time.

There are tradeoffs in everything, I guess. My 2014 Hawk has the new style door holder. For the most part, I like it. It keeps the heavy outer door open securely in the wind. It does require exiting the camper to unhook it to close the door. This works for me as it is the screen door that I have usually needed to open and close frequently as I have just had the camper since July. I may change my mind in colder weather.

DesertDave may have a good point on the older door catch for non windy conditions. It looks like a simple elastic or velcro strap over the top of the door could work. Maybe something as simple as placing one of those heavy duty velcro squares attached to the rubber door bumper with the matching square attached to the camper rear wall where the bumper contacts the wall.

Paul

We have the older style and use a bungee when it is windy. I've been thinking of getting a new rubber insert but it works as it is.

I put a new rubber in mine. Still needs a bungee if its windy. Unfortunately I can't use another latch due to the shovel and hi lift being in the way.

My rubber insert wore out pretty qiuckly ( within 2 yrs ) so is pretty worthless on a breezy day.

Even with our swing-away spare carrier swung out it won't work either. At least not when mounted on the camper. I've been looking for a better option than the rubber bungie that we use now. I do want something that won't rattle, that seems to be asking too much so I'll likely have to build something.

Back
Top Bottom