FWC Eagle Shell questions

finsty

Hey guys-

I just purchased a FWC Eagle shell. Loving it so far but have a couple questions.

1. 2 way fridge or cooler. I like the idea of not having to deal with ice, but can't seem to find a good place to put it. The yeti 50qt cooler would fit perfect right in the front of the camper at the window. I can't seem to find a 2 way that would fit here. Has anyone else had any luck with this?

2. The camper has a fantastic vent, but currently no fan is installed. Can I purchase just the fan? It is close to the light so I think accessing electricity for it shouldn't be an issue. Can this easily be added?

3. Solar. It has been wired for a portable mount as well as a roof mount. I like the idea of the portable one for when you are camping under trees but the roof mount would be nice as you can just forget about it. Does anyone have a good storage solution for the portable mounts?

Thanks for the help!

Here are some images to show the floor plan.

full

full

full

full

Look at the smaller Engel and TruckFridge chest style refers. You might mount it lengthwise on the driver side ledge. A couple of batteries to run it will be needed.

The wiring for the fan is probably already there.

Finsty,

Congrats on your new purchase, Hope you have many happy camping years ahead.

Fridge:
Like "Wandering Sagebrush" I like the "Engel" . Engel is a "2-way compressor" fridge made in Japan. Look at the MR040 because its"side opening".. Engel draws 2.5 amps on start up. Once it lowers temp to 30 degrees (20-25 minute process from 110* ambient temp) average draw 1.5 amps per hour..

The carpeted area above the wheel well is 15 inches deep. "MR040" dimensions are 14.5 " long x 10.5" deep x 14.4 " high I would locate it there off the floor, drivers side, against the drivers side wall. Engel offers a "bolt down tray" to keep it up there.

We have the MT35 which has been is service since 2013. It opens on the end. We keep it in the front just below the window. We do not have the roll-over couch so it fits there. If the "MR040" was available when we bought ours I would have purchased it

We installed a dedicated 12 volt "port". into the side of the wheel well storage cabinet. Wired (12 gauge) it with an in-line 10 amp fuse to the hot side of the push-pull master switch so its on regardless of switch position.

Vent
You don't state the year of your Eagle. Based on the "propane box, heater, (assumed aux battery) it probably a 2014-2016.
The good news is its wired for 12 volt to the fan. Contact Roy at Four Wheel for details: roy@fourwh.com

Solar
If your considering portable consider a 60 watt. small and light (12-15 pounds) stand a lone panel - $49.00 (solarblvd.com) Has good prices.. Stand-a-lone weighs a lot less that a suitcase model that can weigh 40-50 pounds.Not as thick they are easier to store.

Most "suitcase" models are 100 watt and have the controller built in. They are expensive- around $200. When eventually you decide to purchase a roof-top panel you will have to buy another controller..

Weight and size: The 60 watt panel is 10 pounds lighter than the 100 watt. It produces max output of 3.5 amps per hour. (100 watt - 5 amps). Engel fridge draws 1.5 amps per hour leaving 2 amps per hour to charge the batteries.

Camping in a shell will have you spending most of your time outside. You will only run the fan and lights a couple of hours per day.

Speaking of lights, sleeping front to back there are no lights near you head position. We added a "puck light" and a small portable Coleman battery powered lantern (4 D cells) that fits between our pillows - picture in our original post under misc

Panel extension cord:
We made up 50 feet of "12-2 wire" (Home Depot) we bought a spool of red and another black. Connected each end. Black taped the two colors together every 6 inches or so...then wound it on a plastic reel (Home Depot) for storage and deployment.

Our Eagle is mounted on a 2013 Tacoma extra-cab. We store it in the back seat area:
gallery_2684_767_32503.jpg

We made a bracket to support it when deployed out of half inch sprinkler tubing:
gallery_2684_767_148835.jpg

and a "Morningstar SunSaver 20 amp controller"

Your system with the fan is pretty close to our basic system. The ten amp controller is more than enough for your basic system. If you buy the "Engel" and run the fridge, fan, and lights your only going to draw 5 amps.

Roof solar

Eventually you will discover (especially when you add a battery monitor like the Trimetric) when you park to sight see or hike. your battery may not be 100% full at days end when you reach your camp site. The top loader fridges are more efficient than front opening ones because cycle less(the cold doesn't "fall out" when the door is opened). Still they draw amperage. That is reason most of us now have roof panels.

If you add a roof solar panel you will need 150 watts because you will lose 40% of the output in winter camping. (can't aim the panel at the sun) . Review the post "portable solar vs. roof solar"

the 150 watt panel produces 9.1 amps on June 22nd (and 5.1 amps December 22nd) if the battery discharged to 70%. The 60 watt portable produces 3.5 amps as long as the panel is pointed at the sun. If you run the portable and the roof panel parallel at the same time the two units will produce 12.5 amps an hour. For the extra $20 you might as well install the 20 amp controller.

This would have been so easy to answer last week before I lost all my pics. i have a build thread for my eagle shell. Very similar to yours.

I have a Truckfridge TF51. I have it mounted lengthwise to the floor all the way forward and against the front of the bench cushion. It's really not in the way as it's under the bed when extended which is most of the time. It would mount cross ways against the wall but you would have to remove the handles and I would be concerned about airflow. The problem with a chest style on the drivers bench is you can't access it with the bed extended. if I'm going to use the lower bed I will just set it up on the bench to make room.

No you can't get just the fan you have to buy a new vent. The camper is wired.

I have both a 160 watt panel on the roof and a portable made from 2 60 watt panels. Both have their uses. But storage of the portable is always a bit awkward. When traveling I lay it on the couch and fridge forward and flat. I have enough panel on the roof and enough battery that I don't often carry it as it's rarely needed on short trips.

I have tried to build my solar with just what I need and nothing more. To that end, Zamp makes a very sturdy 160 amp suitcase portable that when open is just the right size (about 39.5”X40”) to fit the 1” square tubing on my older Fleet roof rack. The rack gives it a solid base with air flow. When I am at a trail head where I worry about the portable being stolen or on route I mount the unit on the roof and plug in there. But here in the Northwest there are lots of trees that I like to park under then I just disconnect the unit from the roof and plug it into the rear of the Fleet as a portable so that it can tilt and sit out in the sun. Only drawback is that it adds about 45 lbs to the rear of the roof if left there when the roof is raised (is used as portable in camp mostly) which is not much different than standard 160 amp panels. In other words no storage solution needed.

munchmeister said:
Nice build out on your shell! How did you attach those shelf brackets (with the holes) to the side of the camper? I've thought about something similar but worry about what I'd be drilling into.
If you just push on the wall, you can feel where the aluminum framing is and then I just used an ice pick to push through and locate centers. Ron

How is the noise level for the fridge mounted in the camper? Does this keep you up at night or drive you nuts?

Back
Top Bottom