FWC Fiamma Awning

ottorogers

First time using the wonderful Fiamma awning, FWC uses quality materials IMG_5682.JPGIMG_5681.JPG

Voice of experience... when putting legs back up to stow and roll up... snug the little plastic headed bolts that tighten the legs down. Apparently I did not and it must have came loose and fell out. Had to "MacGuyverize" the rest of the trip. It's metric and a PIA to find and replace. Fiama was not that expensive to buy one but was like $12 to ship :(

Also be careful with the plastic bracket that the legs pivot/hinge in.
I was putting mine away, when I had a leg slip out of my hand causing it to swing out, and snapped that piece in half.
I have ordered new ones, but I had to try and fix it for this weekend.

Attachments

• 2018-01-07 05.09.38.jpg
    2018-01-07 05.09.38.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 174
Hello folks
Put a check mark in the we like ours also column. Thanks so much for posting the helpful hints as what to be careful for. These little tidbits are great.

Thanks Russ

XJINTX said:
Voice of experience... when putting legs back up to stow and roll up... snug the little plastic headed bolts that tighten the legs down. Apparently I did not and it must have came loose and fell out. Had to "MacGuyverize" the rest of the trip. It's metric and a PIA to find and replace. Fiama was not that expensive to buy one but was like $12 to ship :(
good advise, thanks

MattC said:
I was putting mine away, when I had a leg slip out of my hand causing it to swing out, and snapped that piece in half.
i will be very careful with mine, great advise, thank you

CougarCouple said:
Hello folks
Put a check mark in the we like ours also column. Thanks so much for posting the helpful hints as what to be careful for. These little tidbits are great.

Thanks Russ
yes Russ I totally agree, this wander the west forum is very good and very helpful, I really love it

I feel that the area under the awning greatly extends the living area of the camper - far beyond the relatively small footprint. I have a folding table with stove, and two Strongback chairs sitting on a sandmat that creates a nice outdoor area for cooking and relaxing. I also have a lightweight cot that I sometimes put under the awning for naps.

Attachments

• 618A1267.jpg
    618A1267.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 129
Not meaning to hi-jack this thread but do any of you have the optional middle tension rafter? If so, does it cut back a lot of the flapping from wind? That's the issue I have had with my Fiamma, since I frequently camp in breezy areas. I've had a hard time finding a vendor to purchase this part.

dharte said:
Not meaning to hi-jack this thread but do any of you have the optional middle tension rafter? If so, does it cut back a lot of the flapping from wind? That's the issue I have had with my Fiamma, since I frequently camp in breezy areas. I've had a hard time finding a vendor to purchase this part.
I do not have this tensioner - i have never heard of it actually. I try very hard to camp such that the truck blocks the prevaling wind from the awning side, which works great for the outside stove. That said, wind changes and I drop the awning at night. It is easy to deploy, so I put it in at night and out in the morning. Also, if I am leaving in the morning, I'd rather not put it away covered in dew.

The Fiamma awning is one of my favorite accesories!

It's mind blowing how quick one can create shade ... and the hard case construction looks so much sleeker and aerodynamic than a stinking' BAG on the side of your rig.

That tensioner has been in my sights for a while now.

MattC said:
We have 2008 Fiamma F45 that came with our Casita Trailer. We have also broken plastic leg hinges although they are different than yours (They seem to be continually redesigning their product). Ours also came with the center stiffener strut included and I can't imagine they are selling the awning without them as they are what keeps the awning from billowing up when it catches the wind. The two side struts will collapse otherwise and the awning will become like a para sail. We had that happen once when we had a strong wind come up from the otherside of the trailer and we had removed the center strut and were trying to roll it in.

Yes the case does look good.

camper rich said:
We have 2008 Fiamma F45 that came with our Casita Trailer. We have also broken plastic leg hinges although they are different than yours (They seem to be continually redesigning their product). Ours also came with the center stiffener strut included and I can't imagine they are selling the awning without them as they are what keeps the awning from billowing up when it catches the wind. The two side struts will collapse otherwise and the awning will become like a para sail. We had that happen once when we had a strong wind come up from the otherside of the trailer and we had removed the center strut and were trying to roll it in.

Yes the case does look good.

Our '16 Hawk Fiamma F45S does not have the center strut...so far no bellowing up and have not been in a heavy downpour so can't say if the awning would sag and hold water...when opened it is very taunt and by shortening legs a downward slope is possible to shed water.

Like others...any appreciable wind that is really buffeting the awning and we stow it away...we also put the awning on the downwind side...great extra and it seems well made..

the fiamma awning is awesome. seconded on making sure the leg knobs are tightened before putting away. We thought we lost one but luckily I found it trapped inside the case...phew!

I have a bit of a contrary opinion on awnings. I had one on my old Eagle, and never used it. I finally removed it and sold it to save weight and air resistance.

Since I mostly camp in the Southwest, you would think I would like the shade from an awning. Don't get me wrong, I do like shade. My problem with awnings are (1) a bit of a hassle to put up, (2) very often, the sun just shines under them anyway, (3) the height of the camper usually gives a lot of shade, and I just move my chair(s) around to where the shade from the camper happens to be. I do carry a triangular shade cloth that I very occasionally set up with a single pole. Anyway, I just don't quite see the big advantage of having an awning.

Back
Top Bottom