FWC Fleet awning

Markybrue

So I inquired about the rear awning for our FWC Fleet only to find it had been discontinued. After further investigation, I found out why...the price tag! I decided to make one. Here it is!

Attachments

• IMG_20171015_094259.jpg
    IMG_20171015_094259.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 216
  • IMG_20171015_094324.jpg
    IMG_20171015_094324.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_20171015_094347.jpg
    IMG_20171015_094347.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 188
Nicely done Marky! That's exactly what I'd like to do for my Raven shell. Thbanks for the photos. Questions: What kind of hardware did you use for attaching the poles to the camper? Do you have a source for that hardware? Looks like it was made for this application. Any worries about attaching it to the camper wall? I've "studied" some of the photos on the web of FWC aluminum skeleton and it looks like that section is pretty much solid aluminum frame, so less worry driving screws into that part of the camper. Yes? Any additional info (or photos!) appreciated. Well done.

Extendable awning poles, I have some that would work just fine. Just make a bolt on pocket for the end of the pole to rest in. Ron

munchmeister said:
Nicely done Marky! That's exactly what I'd like to do for my Raven shell. Thbanks for the photos. Questions: What kind of hardware did you use for attaching the poles to the camper? Do you have a source for that hardware? Looks like it was made for this application. Any worries about attaching it to the camper wall? I've "studied" some of the photos on the web of FWC aluminum skeleton and it looks like that section is pretty much solid aluminum frame, so less worry driving screws into that part of the camper. Yes? Any additional info (or photos!) appreciated. Well done.
I used Bimini hardware in stainless. I used Amazon for all of the hardware.

I opened up the panels on the inside to ensure a solid fit. There are solid aluminum panels at the gas strut locations.

nikonron said:
Rather than mount the hardware to the camper why not use something at the jack mounting plates instead? Ron
By mounting the poles towards the inside and up high, the straps allow pull the pole ends towards the jack points. This allowed me to not have a third pole on the end of the awning.

I found a used billboard tarp. Double coated PVC. It works great as an awning. I have a sewing machine that can sew canvas and it worked great!

The poles and design look like our factory rear awning. The poles and supports are heavy steel bimini top hardware like on this page: http://www.overtons.com/search/Bimini%20top%20hardware

If makng your own, use plastic ends & aluminum poles for less weight.

The tarp is attached to the roof by a rope sewn into the tarp material and slid into the awning groove on the roof. Keder makes flaps to sew on the tarp material for that purpose. The factory tarp is like the pop-up liner. A coated ripstop material should work as well with less weight.
https://www.kedersolutions.com/product-category/keder/

Grommets can be installed on the opposite side to take the bimini pole. Webbing attaches to the pole sticking thru the grommet & the other end slips thru a footman loop beneath the camper wing. The webbing has velcro to make attachment easy.

Paul

Back
Top Bottom