FWC Fleet in Tacoma w/composite bed

park

Looking to buy a used Fleet and understand that a special mounting bracket is required in Tacoma's with the composite bed. Is this required and if so, is it something that has to be installed by an FWC dealer. Any information will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Park

You cannot mount a camper to only the Tacoma bed, but need to connect to the frame somehow. Searching on this forum will uncover folks who have made or have had made custom mounts, but most get the FWC brackets.

I don't think you would have to have the brackets installed by FWC, but you would need the tool that fits the bed bolt-head pattern. The brackets mount using four existing bolts which hold the bed to the frame. Eye-bolts then attach between the bracket and the underside of the camper. As I recall, the brackets were reasonably priced and you have the assurance of fit, good quality and strength. The current models also feature wedge shaped sub-brackets which help to center the camper in the bed.

edit: I've added a photo of my front mounting bar in a comment, below.

p.s., perhaps the party from whom you buy the used camper would sell you their brackets, too, if they are not going to install another camper.

Similar to FWC, ATC uses a simple bracket system to attach their campers to the Tacoma. As Bill says, through the bed to the frame. It works well. Talk to them about it. Mine are covered by snow at the moment but I imagine there are some photos on WTW somewhere.

You will need a 6 point star tool to remove the Taco bolts (and re insert them). My Toyota dealer had no idea of what size the tool was. Mine says it is a T55. FWC under engineered the first few brackets - they need to be much tougher than one would think. I doubt this is a profitable area in which to build your own. The FWC brackets are costly but they work. Not working might be more costly. The FWC brackets come in packing that is part of the installation. Don't throw out the packing!!
The hold down positioning is a bit different than the old eyebolt through the floor system. You many need a joint transplant to gain enough flexibility to make the connection (in CO just a joint). But once connected it works great!!

PS I added S hooks or snap links to each flange to make my wrists happier.

Here's a pic of the front bar. The rear is just the same, one just uses the alternate mounting holes. (I should have swept the dust off before taking the photo, sorry.)

4426aa12f9eb3c244f880525f58cf76a_large.jpg

You might look at the Tork Lift mounts for the Tacoma. They work well for the front mount and are easy to put on and take off. You can use an eye bolt at the back so you keep the exercise of reaching and twisting the attachment to get it off.

full

The FWC installation also includes a mat or plastic plate the same thickness as the brackets which fits between the brackets and supports the camper, so it isn't only resting on the brackets. I saw this when I visited the factory last fall, but I don't remember what the mat is made of. It probably comes with the brackets if you buy them separately.

- Bernard

My two cents worth is - you have two choices. Bolt it down permanently or pick the FWC system or the Torque-lift external system.

My Eagle is permanently (permanent until I sell the truck or camper)mounted to the truck. I had a local welder weld 1/4" plate under the bed (by the way welding won't cancel your warranty - Drilling holes in the frame will). I drilled 3/8" holes in the plate and 9/16" holes in the composite bed to allow for frame flex.

If you decide to bolt it down, buy the "elevator" (Flat on top) bolts from FWC an you will need 3-7/8" length and only 2" is available commercially

So far I experienced 9,000 miles of trouble free, squeek free, service, ....and as a side benefit don't have to use a wing on my roof as the oncoming semi-trucks' "wind-wave" doesn't affect the handling of the truck.

If you are much over age 40 (I'm 70) the best way to install is the Torque-lift external mount as crawling around adjusting turn-buckles through the small ports in the camper is going to get old fast.

Saw this on CL and thought of this thread

Four Wheel Camper mounting kit for Toyota (composite bed) - $200 (Medford)

Mounting kit to mount a Four Wheel Camper into the bed of a Toyota p/u with the composite bed, Like new,used once,includes the two heavy duty brackets that bolt to the trucks frame,rubber mats to keep camper level,Paid 270.00 from Four Wheel Campers, Call 541-301-504Five ask for Mike

http://bend.craigslist.org/rvs/4291198519.html

RC Pilot Jim said:
My two cents worth is - you have two choices. Bolt it down permanently or pick the FWC system or the Torque-lift external system.

My Eagle is permanently (permanent until I sell the truck or camper)mounted to the truck. I had a local welder weld 1/4" plate under the bed (by the way welding won't cancel your warranty - Drilling holes in the frame will). I drilled 3/8" holes in the plate and 9/16" holes in the composite bed to allow for frame flex.

If you decide to bolt it down, buy the "elevator" (Flat on top) bolts from FWC an you will need 3-7/8" length and only 2" is available commercially
Do you have any pictures of the bracket you had installed?

Ek,
In my photo gallery there is an album that has not very easy to see "90 degree angle brackets". The fronts were welded on, the rears are bolted on through existing extra holes in the frame.

Our Eagle was originally bolted onto our old '99 Tacoma X- cab so the bolt holes were already in the camper. The camper was mounted then the holes in the bed were drilled out, then the angle iron was welded on.

We now have 24,000 miles of trouble free service.

Great, I'll look for your pictures. Thanks for the quick response and the explanation of how you did the install.

We just picked ours up and I had requested the in-bed mount. They drill through the bed and into the frame. The eye bolts are a pain to get to but I personally would rather have these than the exterior eye bolts for two reasons. Internal looks better AND I feel it's more secure. Oh maybe a third small reason, I now have awesome mounting points in the bed for cargo!

Back
Top Bottom