FWC for K5 Blazer

85k54x4 camper

Hi everyone
I'm new to the site. What a great site. I'm Hope I can find lots of help here. I'm going to need it. I just picked up a 85' FWC for a K5 Blazer. Exterior is in good shape. The interior needs some TLC. I know that I have to put some plywood down on the floor as the foundation for building the cabinets and couch. Can I use 2 pieces of ply with seam down the center of vehicle or do I have to use one piece of ply? Also any info on building and installing lift panels would also be nice too. Any Info would be helpful. Anybody out there have a Blazer/Bronco type FWC?
Thanks Kenny
ps I have talked to Stan from FWC on a few of these issue. Thanks Stan. Just wondering how the back yard mechanics are doing it. :)

Blazers Rule!

Welcome Kenny,

In 1988 I purchased an '86 K5 Blazer and a FWC '86 Blazer camper (then out of production) and put them together... long story, but I have been very happy with the result. Both K5 and camper are showing their age... I had FWC replace the vinyl pop up material about 10 years ago, and one of the lifting panels... now need both lifting panels replaced. Ben and company of All Terrain Campers replaced the rear door plus a screen door last Fall... The reefer has been replaced with an ice box... you get the idea.

Both Stan of FWC and Ben of ATC can advise on how to approach your project; I'm not too handy myself. I think you will find that you don't want a floor... although I think a floor was offered as an option in late production model Blazer FWC. The bench seat/bed conversion with under bench storage is attatched to the K5 floor. All else sort of hangs down from the camper on the driver side (furnace, shelf) Most everything is above the level the camper attatches to the K5 sides... Sorry for the poor description.

If you live near Santa Barbara County, SF Bay or Stockton area, we could eventually arrange to meet for show and tell. I still haven't applied myself to learning to post photos etc... There are a number or articles on this site which will be usefull, and a passle of generous patient souls are regular posters here... I will try to check in more often now that there is another Blazer here... Again, welcome.

Art
'86 Blazer

Thanks for the welcome. Hey Blazer so the refrig is a no go. I'll keep that in mind. Did your camper seal right up to the back of the cab? I plan on using the stock shell gasket. I will have plenty questions. Hope you don't mind. I live in LA area. I do like going to Jalama. Maybe someday I'll see you on the road. Glad to hear that there is still some old American iron on the road. There are some great ideas here. Hope I can put them to good use.
85' K5 still alive!

Encouragement but probably little help

85k54x4 camper,
I am a former K5 Blazer driver (a 1970; before the term SUV was coined) and new owner of a Grandby (04) living "up the hill" from you in Westchester. My wife and I spent many a night in Mexico sleeping in the back of the K5 wishing it could be a little more accommodating. This is the first time I ever heard of a K5 FWC! But now, alas, it's too late for me in my K5 days. My Grandby is on a Mopar truck so you might be a little overcome by the sacrilege of it all, but if you want to come over and look for ideas in a more pedestrian FWC, let me know. Good luck with your project,

bobg333@ca.rr.com

Back
Top Bottom