FWC gas strut recall

I am supposed to receive my repair kit for the recall today. If the process is interesting enough I will post up photos and/or a description. I think I can see evidence of the issue on the lower mounting points.

We happen to live close enough to FWC that my wife took the camper in yesterday and had the fix done. I have it at work today, so will try to run out and get a photo of it.

Here is the strut mount after FWC installed the fix. For comparison I added a photo of what it looked like before.
gallery_176_733_174387.jpg

gallery_176_733_477497.jpg

DesertDave my camper looks l just like yours. when I received the notice I went out and sure enough it needs to be fixed..
glad FWC is on top of this...

I am glad I got the notice and did the repair before I used it again. The mount pictured was just about torn out, which would have damaged the roof of the camper when it did let go. I hope the repair holds, I think it will for all the undamaged spots, I am concerned that one spot may not stay held in place by two 3/4" #8 screws.

It took me about two hours start to finish, with the camper on my F350. It would be easier with it off the truck due to direct access. I toyed with the idea of leaving the gas struts off, but that extended cab over is hard to raise and lower without them. That was the hardest part of the repair for me. :sneaky:

Just had them do the recall on my Grandby today.. was completely happy with the job they did and they also swapped out the 20lb rear external struts for 30lb ones. made a nice difference in raising the back now..

there is no way on my Lance camper I used to have would they swap anything after the purchase without charging me!!

I subscribe to trailer life (not sure why but I do) and its enlightening to read some of the letters people write about how bad customer support is for many (if not most) trailer manufacturers. It just seems good business to me to keep your current and old customers happy.

dauntless225 said:
Just had them do the recall on my Grandby today.. was completely happy with the job they did and they also swapped out the 20lb rear external struts for 30lb ones. made a nice difference in raising the back now..

there is no way on my Lance camper I used to have would they swap anything after the purchase without charging me!!
Jay did mine in Woodburn yesterday about 12:00. Did a great job and took very little time. Looks just like Ted's photos. Jay, also, installed my Hawk earlier in the summer.

I am very impressed at the customer support and responsiveness that FWC shows for their customers. He said that there were 3 or so strut fixes being done yesterday. We should have coordinated and held a mini rally right there. It would have been nice to meet some other nearby FWC owners.

PaulT
kc7pmu

If you were one of the few customers that received a service bulletin notice in the mail from us and own one of the affected campers, I also have a link to a short 1:30min video I can e-mail you (if you are going to install the small reinforcement brackets yourself). It will give you a visual guide, along with the written .pdf guile that rayct77 posted at the beginning of this thread. It is a simple fix. Thanks.

:)

It would have been nice to receive notice of this "recall" or repair notice directly from the Four Wheel company instead of having to come across it in the media by accident!

CamperCarl said:
It would have been nice to receive notice of this "recall" or repair notice directly from the Four Wheel company instead of having to come across it in the media by accident!
If your camper was built between February (when 4WC first started building with the outside struts) and sometime in June, then you should have received the recall notice that I received (mine was built in late May). If yours wasn't built inside that time window then you don't have anything to worry about, as 4WC installed the fix during the build process.

Thank you everyone for the information, photos and comments! FWC people are the best!

Has anyone considered mounting the gas struts on the interior of the FWC? I am researching now and find it'd be a more direct connection to the Aluminum frame for mounting. Any thoughts? Also can someone post strut lengths and load ratings? I was considering 80 lb but I think I might be a bit carried away...then again snow load they might help. Thanks in advance!

2001 FWC Grandby on a 2004 Double Cab Tundra with Firestone Airbags

2019-10-30.jpg

FWC did that for a while, but discontinued it. They were in the way of the bed, and there was here-say of the stronger struts (80 lb) causing roof damage. We had them on our Grandby, and did not like them.

We use Supra 30-lb struts mounted internally (no roof loading other than the fantastic fan) and that config works quite well for us, but only because we're 'down' sleepers, i.e., using the lower (sofa) tier for sleeping and the upper (bed) tier for clothing and other storage needs. In this application the struts don't really get in the way of much and are much appreciated for the roof-raising assistance they give.
Rico.

kinderliving said:
Has anyone considered mounting the gas struts on the interior of the FWC? I am researching now and find it'd be a more direct connection to the Aluminum frame for mounting. Any thoughts? Also can someone post strut lengths and load ratings? I was considering 80 lb but I think I might be a bit carried away...then again snow load they might help. Thanks in advance!

2001 FWC Grandby on a 2004 Double Cab Tundra with Firestone Airbags

2019-10-30.jpg
Nice looking rig.I have a2002 AC cab same color as your truck,with a ATC Bobcat.
Welcome to the cult.
Frank

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom