FWC Granby Edition in a Tundra with 6.6 truck bed

ottorogers

I need some advice please, we have a 2014 Tundra Limited with the 6.6 bed, we previously had a Hawk model, it was a problem with weight before we upgraded the truck, after adding 2 extra leaf springs at Deaver Springs in LA, Firestone airbags, 10 ply "E" rated off road tires, and sway bar, we were OK. I do not think the Granby is much heavier at all compared to the Hawk. My real question is the 8' camper in a 6.6 truck bed? Has anybody done this, is it OK. Do you keep the tailgate installed and down, or can the tailgate be removed (less total weight)? Any problems with weight distribution with the camper hanging out 18" from the rear? We really want the extra 18" at the front dinette area, that would be so nice to have. Really appreciate some advice here, we do not want to make a mistake. Thanks

Otto, If you search 'rear overhang' in the forums you'll come across a number of threads that detail the wide variety of folks' comments and possible solutions re: this question. In my own experience a Grandby Shell model doesn't pose an overhang problem for a well-decked-out 1/2-ton truck, as long as you can manage its fore-aft weight distribution properly. 'Light is right' and 'less is more' are apt ways to approach this. Tailgate: definitely off to gain 70 lbs or so extra payload. Weight of stored items moved as far forward of the rear axle as possible. Pretty sure a fully loaded Grandby wouldn't work well in this config, but I'll let someone else with more knowledge on that kind of setup 'weigh in'. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Rico

Rico posted while I was typing, but here's my .02 anyhoo:

8ft camper on a 6.5ft ? I can't offer any personal experience but I've seen it done, just not sure I've seen it on a Tundra. But I don't be surprised if it has...

My concern would be twofold (ignoring the whole overloaded GVWR trip)

First, not having a rear bumper.
Yes, I have backed into things. Also if ever drag coming out of cross ditches.

Second, the added extension and added weight aft of rear axle.
My rig has a rear overhang (to end of bumper) of 59", which I consider a lot, and a wheelbase of 162". In comparison for your idea, I estimate, would be ~61" overhang on a 164"WB, so pretty much the same. But, mine has a factory truck frame that extends 48" aft of axle and a heavy diesel engine and transmission up front to counter the rear weight. OTOH it has a (factory) aft of axle fuel tank which adds quite a bit of rear weight. That said I like to think we are "reasonably" within the vehicle's design spec. (F350 C&C)

Anyway, my concern would be the effect that extension and weight could have when off highway, subject to all that pounding and bouncing. So planned use needs to be factored in.

I'll add, if you buy the Granby and are unhappy with the driving results are you prepared to replace the truck ? (you have already upgraded it so I think further upgrades are prob out). If no then I'd think carefully before buying a bigger camper.

EDIT add a bit

klahanie said:
Rico posted while I was typing, but here's my .02 anyhoo:

8ft camper on a 6.5ft ? I can't offer any personal experience but I've seen it done, just not sure I've seen it on a Tundra. But I don't be surprised if it has...

My concern would be twofold (ignoring the whole overloaded GVWR trip)

First, not having a rear bumper.
Yes, I have backed into things. Also if ever drag coming out of cross ditches.

Second, the added extension and added weight aft of rear axle.
My rig has a rear overhang (to end of bumper) of 59", which I consider a lot, and a wheelbase of 162". In comparison for your idea, I estimate, would be ~61" overhang on a 164"WB, so pretty much the same. But, mine has a factory truck frame that extends 48" aft of axle and a heavy diesel engine and transmission up front to counter the rear weight. OTOH it has a (factory) aft of axle fuel tank which adds quite a bit of rear weight. That said I like to think we are "reasonably" within the vehicle's design spec. (F350 C&C)

Anyway, my concern would be the effect that extension and weight could have when off highway, subject to all that pounding and bouncing. So planned use needs to be factored in.

I'll add, if you buy the Granby and are unhappy with the driving results are you prepared to replace the truck ? (you have already upgraded it so I think further upgrades are prob out). If no then I'd think carefully before buying a bigger camper.

EDIT add a bit

I hear you!!. I am prepared to buy a new truck for sure, a 1 ton gas model, if this does not work well

^ Beauty, enjoy your new Granby !

...and your trips away from S'Toons ridiculous traffic :giggle: (and this is from a YVR boy !)

I have a strong feeling that this will not work well. My memory was that you were not really happy with the Tundra/Hawk combination until you did a bunch of work on the Tundra suspension. I am glad that it is OK now, but I doubt it will be OK with the Grandby and you have already made all the usual load carrying modifications.

Now the Grandby is going to weigh more, and you will likely carry more stuff with the extra room. But most importantly, the center of gravity for the Grandby is 43" back from the front of the bed - which is 11" further back than the Hawk. Measure the distance from the front of your truck bed to the center of the rear axel - if this is less than 43" (which I am guessing it is) then your center of gravity will be behind your rear axel. Being heavy and having that weight behind the rear axel is a bad combination. The effective load on the rear axel will be MORE than the total weight of the camper, you will unload the front axel as the truck pivots around the rear axel effectively transferring extra weight to the rear. With this configuration your steering can get squirrelly on washboard roads or going over bumps, under dynamic conditions you can significantly unload the front axel. There was a discussion here a year or so ago about someone who was experiencing just this issue with a long bed camper in a lighter weight short bed truck.

I think you should either consider a flatbed Fleet or Hawk on your current Tundra (which has more usable space than a Grandby and a rear dinette) or plan on going to a long bed truck before you get the Grandby.

I am thinking you guys are right. I have a message into Rocky Mountain FWC, see what they say. Denny at jackson Hole told me a year ago that many people installed a Granby in a 6.6 Trudra bed. But I worry about the center of gravity. However, after I upgraded the tires and added 2 extra leaf springs my Hawk was fine, but I get that the Granby's center of weight is further back. There was ZERO steering issues with my Hawk after upgrades, it handled like a dream. I had 45 air in the rear and 40 in the front, with 25 in the airbags, we were at least 2200 LBS loaded up, most likely more, we had the jacks on, future trips there will be no jacks on, no tailgate, and no bed extension, less tools (I had at least 100 lbs of tools last trip with the Hawk). I do not think we will be more weight with the Granby with all these items deleted, the Granby weighs about same as the Hawk as far as I can tell, we really want the bigger dinette seating, that is the only difference, except the center of gravity. Of course the Granby will hang over the back 16", maybe a big less, I removed the huge front bumpers on my Hawk, moving the camper towards the cab at least 4" or so, I will of course do this with the Granby if it has these huge bumpers, I will move it as far as I can towards the cab.

klahanie said:
^ Beauty, enjoy your new Granby !

...and your trips away from S'Toons ridiculous traffic :giggle: (and this is from a YVR boy !)
Saskatoon traffic is nothing compared to most cities in the world, we are getting 2 new bridges soon, this fall, and 2 new over passes!!! But the snow and -40 are AWFUL, don't want to ever see a snowflake again in my life if I can avoid it!!!

I'm running a Grandby on a Tundra and quite happy with it overall.

I use some pressure treated 2x4's to support the overhang. Run E rated tires and air bags on mine.

While I might not want to take it over Elephant Hill or do some other more adventurous 4-wheeling it has handled the White Rim Trail and anyplace else that I wanted to go without a problem.

Cayuse said:
I'm running a Grandby on a Tundra and quite happy with it overall.

I use some pressure treated 2x4's to support the overhang. Run E rated tires and air bags on mine.

While I might not want to take it over Elephant Hill or do some other more adventurous 4-wheeling it has handled the White Rim Trail and anyplace else that I wanted to go without a problem.
Would you be so kind to send me some photos of your Granby on your Tundra please? I would really appreciate it.

kleerogers@gmail.com

My Tundra is a 2014 DC, with E rated tires, airbags, and sway bar, I also added 2 extra leaf springs at Deaver springs in LA, the Hawk we previously had was perfectly fine after all the upgrades, the Granby weighs the same as the Hawk, so I do not see any problems, my only concern is the center of gravity.

Tell me, why do you need 2X4 at the back for support? Is that really necessary for a 16" overhang?

ottorogers said:
Would you be so kind to send me some photos of your Granby on your Tundra please? I would really appreciate it.

Tell me, why do you need 2X4 at the back for support? Is that really necessary for a 16" overhang?
I'll send you some photos later as I'm at work now so it'll probably be this evening unless I get a lull in the day and can go digging.

The 2x4's do two things, one they support the camper the entire length and two they raise it a bit so that it doesn't ride on the rails of the bed. My camper is a 2002 and otherwise it would be a bit short and hang from the sides of the Tundra rails with the floor being unsupported.

I have a 08 Granby on a dodge ram 1500 with 1740lbs load capacity and 6'4" bed.

Tailgate off, rear seat out, airbags for the rear coil springs and the truck already come standard with front and rear antisway bars

FWC says rear needs to be supported. So I got the idea from this forum to use a steel angle iron and two chains with aluminium turnbuckles that go to the tailgate cable support lugs.

Works great and lightweight.

Definitely leave off the jacks and you could also not fill your water tanks until you get to your destination to save some weight.

I've been in my friends Hawk and the added room in the Granby is very nice.

Chrish said:
I have a 08 Granby on a dodge ram 1500 with 1740lbs load capacity and 6'4" bed.

Tailgate off, rear seat out, airbags for the rear coil springs and the truck already come standard with front and rear antisway bars

FWC says rear needs to be supported. So I got the idea from this forum to use a steel angle iron and two chains with aluminium turnbuckles that go to the tailgate cable support lugs.

Works great and lightweight.

Definitely leave off the jacks and you could also not fill your water tanks until you get to your destination to save some weight.

I've been in my friends Hawk and the added room in the Granby is very nice.
The exact information I needed. We really want the extra room, we were cramped in our Hawk last winter for 4 months, we need a bigger dinette table and seating. We are looking at a Woolrich edition, brand new

I had a Grandby in my 2500 short bed Ram and it was not ideal. so much so that i ended up buying a long bed truck to properly house the Grandby.

1. Short wheel base and lots of overhang is an odd sensation.

2. Towing a trailer with a camper hanging out is a bad idea. doable in an emergency but by no means a long term solution.

3. With the rear height of the entrance and no bumper it was immensely difficult to get in and out and my wife and I are younger.

4. Off road we were always concerned with departure angle and this was a very tall truck.

5. Park sensors and back up camera were no longer usable.

Long story short, the long bed truck was such an upgrade for the Granby and I would not use a short bed truck unless an temporary emergency/solution.

Hope this helps.

Not the same, a lighter duty Tundra and lighter FWC Ranger. I had this combo for 10 years with no problems and loved the extra length. If you are willing to buy a longbed truck if it doesn't work out then go for it.

20070609010.jpg

20070714004.jpg

DSC_0186-L.jpg

The majority of weight of the camper is center forward, the added length off the back is the lighter end of the camper. So the center of gravity is moved only slightly to the rear with the longer camper but not the distance of added length. I would think fwc would have weighed the various camper models on scales and should know the appx center...tundras are close to 3/4 ton and i would think not much of an issue with the changes you've made....

The dinette style may be an important factor in your decision. In the front dinette, the batteries are in the rear driver’s side of the camper. All the difference in length between the front dinette Grandby and the Hawk is in the increased width of the dinette seats at the front of the camper. This would mean that much of the weight of the batteries and the cabinets including PortaPotti/cassette toilet would be hanging out in empty space.

See floor plans on FWC website. https://fourwh.com/product/grandby-long-bed-popup-truck-camper-8-foot-bed/

Paul

I'm going to have to agree with Paul.

You should call FWC and ask them where the Center Of Gravity (COG) is on the Grandby and measure the distance from the front of your bed to the axle. My guess is that the COG will be behind the axle which is NOT a safe way to go.

I was just looking on the FWC website and every picture of the Grandby was on a 3/4 ton or larger truck with an 8' bed...

Food for thought....

Here are a couple pics... My Grandby is a 2002 with a couch batteries are at the front, 2x100W solar on top. Tows just fine, both my small trailer and my roommate's travel trailer which I initially picked up in Twin Falls, ID and delivered to Las Vegas.

i-rwFGzPV-L.jpg

full

And stairs work well for getting in and out of the camper...

i-pJVc4m4-L.jpg

AgiQAo91AEdP66g77

qKmytkYX3qPRY6ws7

qKmytkYX3qPRY6ws7

Back
Top Bottom